Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you plan on purchasing this year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Skeptical.me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
Australia
I have the X but I would really prefer a larger screen so I am going to upgrade to the 6.5 and sell my current X to a friend. I am still debating whether I want the new apple watch.

If you've never owned an Apple Watch I believe the Series 4 will be worth the experience. The Watches are really handy for many things. I'm upgrading with my Service Provider, I pay them $99 to take back the phone, cancel the current 2 year contract, and then sign a new 2 year contract with a new iPhone model. I usually just payout the contract by selling the phone, but I end up paying eBay and PayPal fees near $100 anyway so I might as well just take the deal.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
Ugh, beyond unsure. I’m definitely upgrading but am wavering between the 5.8 & 6.5 (I have an 8+ currently). The watch is tempting as well but I may hold off on that for a few months.

I love the feel of the X in my hand (I have small hands and short fingers and normally use my phones 2-handed anyway, but the option to reach across the screen with one hand would be really nice to have again), but I’ve always been “bigger is better” so I just don’t know.

Reactions: Skeptical.me

Skeptical.me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
Australia
Ugh, beyond unsure. I’m definitely upgrading but am wavering between the 5.8 & 6.5 (I have an 8+ currently). The watch is tempting as well but I may hold off on that for a few months.

I love the feel of the X in my hand (I have small hands and short fingers and normally use my phones 2-handed anyway, but the option to reach across the screen with one hand would be really nice to have again), but I’ve always been “bigger is better” so I just don’t know.

Decisions decisions lol ... I love the bigger screens. I hope you get the choice right!

Reactions: Blueline29

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Maybe the iPhone XS, will have to wait to see if their marketing machine can convince me it's worth upgrading ( what it's 50% faster, Sold! ..lol)

Two apple watches my wife and I will put under the tree for christmas. We did that for series 1 and 2, skipped series 3 and excited on what I'm hearing about series 4!

New Airpods for sure, I love my airpods, best freaking headphones ever ( maybe not fidelity wise but certainly user friendly and convenience wise)
[doublepost=1536621731][/doublepost]

Buy the X or Xs, you will be happy you went with the smaller form factor but have the nice edge to edge display! I ditched the 7 plus and never looked back.

Skeptical.me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
Australia
Maybe the iPhone XS, will have to wait to see if their marketing machine can convince me it's worth upgrading ( what it's 50% faster, Sold! ..lol)

Two apple watches my wife and I will put under the tree for christmas. We did that for series 1 and 2, skipped series 3 and excited on what I'm hearing about series 4!

New Airpods for sure, I love my airpods, best freaking headphones ever ( maybe not fidelity wise but certainly user friendly and convenience wise)
[doublepost=1536621731][/doublepost]

Buy the X or Xs, you will be happy you went with the smaller form factor but have the nice edge to edge display! I ditched the 7 plus and never looked back.

You won't be disappointed with Apple Watch Series 4 if its an improvement on the Series 3. I've owned every series, 3 has been a dream. I've not own the AirPods, I purchased a pair of Bose QuietComfort 35's and they're fantastic. However, they're not suited for use outside of the house given how large they are. I've been hesitant to purchase the AirPods, do think they're worth the $'s? I may purchase some next year, and maybe a HomePod, thats if the Siri Shortcuts have 3rd party integration and significantly improves SIRI. I didn't purchase the HomePod because I viewed it more of an over glorified music hub, I want an AI Assistant.
[doublepost=1536624932][/doublepost]
The Apple Watch Series 4 as my first smartwatch ever.

I doubt you'll be disappointed!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
6.5 X and Series 4. I’m really hoping Apple has some sort specific identifying feature(s) that will make the 6.5 X more exclusive and worth the price tag aside from a bigger battery and larger display, which we know we can expect already. The Series 4 Apple Watch is shaping up to be a very nice upgrade in almost every way with the larger display, additional health sensors, updated resolution, haptic Digital crown and power button, etc. And that’s just what we know so far. One day to go.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
6.5 X and Series 4. I’m really hoping Apple has some sort specific identifying feature(s) that will make the 6.5 X more exclusive and worth the price tag aside from a bigger battery and larger display, which we know we can expect already. The Series 4 Apple Watch is shaping up to be a very nice upgrade in almost every way with the larger display, additional health sensors, updated resolution, haptic Digital crown and power button, etc. And that’s just what we know so far. One day to go.
So far the distinguishing feature I’ve seen rumored for the “X-Max” is in the software. It will give you a sort of iPad style view in landscape mode in some apps. I’m afraid I didn’t pay close enough attention to exactly how the largest iPhone’s view in landscape will differ. It may not be all that different from what current Plus size iPhones offer.

I’m actually happy that the rumors point towards a more equal distribution of features between the larger and smaller models. People who prefer or need a smaller form factor will finally not need to sacrifice key features and functionality, such as a dual camera setup. They will already be losing out on considerable anticipated battery life and the beauty and convenience of a large display.

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Probably the minority here (or the only one) but i'm just going to slide over and move from the Iphone 8+ to the iphone X tomorrow for a few reasons.

a) want a smaller phone.
b) will be cheaper than the Iphone Xs when it comes out as well as the trade in value of my 8+
c) Don't need all the newest hardware as the current chip in the iphone 8 (+ the iphone X i think) is still great.
d) face ID

EDIT: messed up. Should've said minority, not majority.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Probably the minority here (or the only one) but i'm just going to slide over and move from the Iphone 8+ to the iphone X tomorrow for a few reasons.

a) want a smaller phone.
b) will be cheaper than the Iphone Xs when it comes out as well as the trade in value of my 8+
c) Don't need all the newest software as the current chip in the iphone 8 (+ the iphone X i think) is still great.
d) face ID

EDIT: messed up. Should've said minority, not majority.
That’s not a bad idea. I would take my husband’s X but his display is just awful. It has a weird blue shift. I also would rather try the new modem the XS is supposed to have. We haven’t had the best call quality with the current intel batch where we live.

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
That’s not a bad idea. I would take my husband’s X but his display is just awful. It has a weird blue shift. I also would rather try the new modem the XS is supposed to have. We haven’t had the best call quality with the current intel batch where we live.

Haven't heard of any issues of iphone X modem issues up here in Edmonton where I live. The Iphone 8+ had a weird yellow or whatever tint/shift as well when I got it, but as my eyes adjusted, I had no issues.

Besides, what else can they do to the OLED screen to make it better than last year. I have co-workers who have the older Samsung phones (S8, etc) w/ OLED and it still looks great.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Haven't heard of any issues of iphone X modem issues up here in Edmonton where I live. The Iphone 8+ had a weird yellow or whatever tint/shift as well when I got it, but as my eyes adjusted, I had no issues.

Besides, what else can they do to the OLED screen to make it better than last year. I have co-workers who have the older Samsung phones (S8, etc) w/ OLED and it still looks great.
I think the OLED on the XS will be about the same as on the X. I was talking about why I can’t take my husband’s specific phone, though it would be nice if I could. He got one with a bad display. I had an iPhone X last winter with a nice crisp white display with great viewing angles and his looked awful next to my phone. Though my display had a hint of a pink stain that also plagued the display of my Samsung S8+. Between the two of us, my husband and I have owned several Android phones with different OLED displays and it’s interesting how much variance there can be between them.

Reactions: dk001

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
IPhone XS+. Probably gold cuz I'm feeling like changing it up, but knowing me, I'll end up going with the black one.

meme1255

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2012
Czechia
Dependes on price policy. I might have to keep my 5s for an additional year as I cannot justify paying 1200 EUR for an iPhone. I have already spent 2540 EUR for the MBP ...

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Didn’t mark anything because I’m not really sure. I am pretty positive I’ll be getting a new watch, and I’m gonna reserve my decision about the phone/pad until I see all the details/prices.

I sold my 12.9 iPad a few months ago with the intention of getting a smaller pro when they released, but honestly, my 2018 iPad is serving me well right now, so I don’t know if I’m gonna do that.

I really want to go ahead and make the leap to the new phones (I’ve been struggling with giving up my touchID), but I love the size of my 8+, don’t really want to have a phone the size of the X, and doubt I want to cough up the money for the X+.

I just have to see what really grabs me I guess.

Totally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2012
West Coast = Best Coast
Considering upgrading from my SE to an X... if the price is right which will require more price drop from where it is right now. I don't mind being on older tech, and the money saved is certainly significant.

Skeptical.me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
Australia
Didn’t mark anything because I’m not really sure. I am pretty positive I’ll be getting a new watch, and I’m gonna reserve my decision about the phone/pad until I see all the details/prices.

I sold my 12.9 iPad a few months ago with the intention of getting a smaller pro when they released, but honestly, my 2018 iPad is serving me well right now, so I don’t know if I’m gonna do that.

I really want to go ahead and make the leap to the new phones (I’ve been struggling with giving up my touchID), but I love the size of my 8+, don’t really want to have a phone the size of the X, and doubt I want to cough up the money for the X+.

I just have to see what really grabs me I guess.

I'm in the same boat with the iPad, my 2nd Gen iPad 12.9 (Apple Pencil & Keyboard) is just fine. It does what I need, I really love how well it is built and its easily the best iPad I've own (and I've owned many). But knowing myself if there is something amazing about the new iPad Pro I'll probably get one next year lol :)

HoiPiet

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2015
SE or whatever their budget offering is if its inexpensive enough and an IPP 12.9. The health features on the watch are really enticing, but things would have to break right with the budget...

nathansz

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2017
a new iphone se if it gets a spec bump or the price drops

to replace the one i have with a broken home button/touch id

otherwise a used iphone se

i don want anything bigger but also don’t want to pay $460 cdn for such an old phone

mcorleone

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Florida
I'm downgrading in size this time around. I have an old 6+ and the screen on a standard X is roughly the same size but the casing is smaller as my current phone is awkward to use with one hand so I'll go with the regular Xs...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.