Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What DSLR Brand do you have

• Canon

Votes: 71 50.7%
  • Nikon

Votes: 54 38.6%
  • Konica/Minolta

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Olympus

Votes: 9 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 11 7.9%

• Total voters

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Canon ... inertia

I'm shooting Canon, partly because of the "inertia" from existing 35mm equipment.

Around ten years ago now, I was looking at finally moving up to an autofocus SLR from a fully manual Pentax K-1000, and I had the "no significant legacy" luxury of being able to compare Pentax, Minolta, Nikon & Canon on pretty equal footings. There were a couple of things that nudged me to Canon, including:

- I preferred Canon's ergonomics (mostly, the left wheel selector)
- This was after their adoption of the EF mount
- there was some 'rumbling' of if Nikon was going to change mounts
- The choice really seemed to be Nikon vs Canon (vs others)

In hindsight, I've been happy with my choice, and having since learned what a hodgepodge mess the backwards-compatible Nikon lens familes are, so I'm just as happy to not have to learn all of the nuaces of what lenses fits/doesn't, what sorta works, etc, even though intellectually I know that it theoretically narrows my choices. As far as I'm concerned, there's plenty of lens choices within Canon's EF line, which is similar to the Win/Mac debate of "Just how many word processor Apps do you really need?"

Fast-forward ten years to 2005, and more seriously looking at dSLRs. My prior investment in Canon glass really wasn't all that great ... maybe only $1500 ... but the question of having common glass for film+bits is pretty compelling, so I added a 20D as well as my first L lens (70-200 IS f/2.8) for a planned Christmas trip, which has locked me in tighter with Canon for the next several years.

And while digital is on the rise, I figure that I'll probably compliment this all by picking up an EOS 3 film camera in the next few months, so assure myself of having a good 35mm camera to last for the next decade or two before the choices narrow too much.

-hh

dabirdwell

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2002
Oklahoma
Olympus E-500

with their 14-54 2.8-3.5 weatherproof lens. 28-105 equivalent, fast enough, sharp edge-to-edge, no dust or moisture problems, Oly classic contrast/tonal range.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
-hh said:
I'm shooting Canon, partly because of the "inertia" from existing 35mm equipment.

Around ten years ago now, I was looking at finally moving up to an autofocus SLR from a fully manual Pentax K-1000, and I had the "no significant legacy" luxury of being able to compare Pentax, Minolta, Nikon & Canon on pretty equal footings. There were a couple of things that nudged me to Canon, including:

- I preferred Canon's ergonomics (mostly, the left wheel selector)
- This was after their adoption of the EF mount
- there was some 'rumbling' of if Nikon was going to change mounts
- The choice really seemed to be Nikon vs Canon (vs others)

In hindsight, I've been happy with my choice, and having since learned what a hodgepodge mess the backwards-compatible Nikon lens familes are, so I'm just as happy to not have to learn all of the nuaces of what lenses fits/doesn't, what sorta works, etc, even though intellectually I know that it theoretically narrows my choices. As far as I'm concerned, there's plenty of lens choices within Canon's EF line, which is similar to the Win/Mac debate of "Just how many word processor Apps do you really need?"

Fast-forward ten years to 2005, and more seriously looking at dSLRs. My prior investment in Canon glass really wasn't all that great ... maybe only $1500 ... but the question of having common glass for film+bits is pretty compelling, so I added a 20D as well as my first L lens (70-200 IS f/2.8) for a planned Christmas trip, which has locked me in tighter with Canon for the next several years.

And while digital is on the rise, I figure that I'll probably compliment this all by picking up an EOS 3 film camera in the next few months, so assure myself of having a good 35mm camera to last for the next decade or two before the choices narrow too much.

-hh

It's an interesting post -hh. I'm back in the decision process again. I did get a D50 for a bit and liked several things about it. Moving from an N80 film slr, I didn't like some of the control limitations of the D50. So I thought perhaps a D70s would do it, but then I was also moved to look at the 20D, but really the 30D. I've not clicked as much with the Canon layout but I think this stems from years with the N80 and could be overcome with a little time.

On the point of the systems - that's actually the issue that makes it more difficult. I'm just not sure which system. I see pros and cons in each.

In the Nikon system's favor - already like the general layout of Nikons due to use of film SLR. Some loyalty and struck by the cult-like following (hmm which seems to also be the case with a certain computer maker) on sites like nikonians and nikon cafe. Also, it seems I see fewer problem posts with quality control - but that's an impression and I've certainly seen several Nikon issues over the years. Existing lenses aren't a really large issue as I really only ever used a 28-105 lens on my film body, so there's not a large stock pile sitting around.

In the Canon system's favor - have been really struck by the fantastic results I've gotten from my now-inoperable s400 with the original Digic chip; rave reviews about image quality, low noise, across the line (as I'm focused on system still), R&D ability on the microelectronics side, and the number of Canon photos (film and DSLR) that I see in Nat'l Geographic features each month - I think some folks must have moved for FF? - I thought Jim Brandenburg used to shoot with a N90s, but he and folks that used to have Nikon film pics in Nat'l Geo like Mattias Klum, and Michael Melford (has the Glen Canyon feature this month - http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0604/feature3/gallery1.html) now utilize the Canon system.

There are also some more esoteric (for me) arguments about raw compression techniques and loosing some information with Nikons that aren't with Canon's and raw encoding that makes it more difficult - so some have said, althogh Nikon says it's a misunderstanding - for third parties to decode the white balance in Nikon raw images.

So, as Clix Pix once said in another forum in the past - you're not just choosing a camera, you're choosing a system, no pressure.

I do feel some pressure, but I've enjoyed reading what folks have gone with and why (Although I would like to hear from MR ANDERSON on his choice and why as well). I'll be at the camera store tomorrow with the D70s and the new 30D.

LG

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
law guy said:
I'll be at the camera store tomorrow with the D70s and the new 30D.

If you're going to be looking at the Canon 30D, why not check out Nikon's D200? For a bit more money, the D200 has many, many advantages over the D70s..... there's not that much price difference between the D200 and Canon's 30D.

Also, is the Canon 30D yet available in this country? I notice that B&H is still "taking orders." You might have difficulty actually seeing or handling one yet.....

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Clix Pix said:
If you're going to be looking at the Canon 30D, why not check out Nikon's D200? For a bit more money, the D200 has many, many advantages over the D70s..... there's not that much price difference between the D200 and Canon's 30D.

Also, is the Canon 30D yet available in this country? I notice that B&H is still "taking orders." You might have difficulty actually seeing or handling one yet.....

I know CP - the D200 is $300 more, which isn't much and yet the last few hundred hurt a little more. Oh no, the D200 hasn't escaped me. I'm going to give it a serious look (and feel). Thankfully (?) at that point there's a giant price moat.

Yes, some shops - Aust and UK have had them for weeks. Canada had them for awhile and finally Janos in TX, one in Dallas, and a few others had them Friday in the US. My local non-chain in New England had the FedEx shipment coming today, but didn't know how late in the afternoon it would arrive, so I just planned to go tomorrow.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
For those that are thinking about Nikon vs. Canon, you might wait till next month. No, no new product - not really need - but some exciting news non the less. It is just days away.

Frank (Atlanta)

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2004
Huh?!

Huh?!

Assume it's not a new camera, as those are usually predated by the rumor mill...

Wonder what it might be...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Frank (Atlanta) said:
Huh?!

Assume it's not a new camera, as those are usually predated by the rumor mill...

Wonder what it might be...

It's new firmware to make Nikon cameras work backwards...like Canon cameras. :D

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Chip NoVaMac said:
For those that are thinking about Nikon vs. Canon, you might wait till next month. No, no new product - not really need - but some exciting news non the less. It is just days away.

Chip - you can't leave us with just that! Giant rebates? (this is actually my guess for Nikon becuase that would follow a rebates in the spring after a dry period after holidays) Giant price drops? FOR GOODNESS SAKE MAN!

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
law guy said:
Chip - you can't leave us with just that! Giant rebates? (this is actually my guess for Nikon becuase that would follow a rebates in the spring after a dry period after holidays) Giant price drops? FOR GOODNESS SAKE MAN!

LOL!

No, it is not a new camera. But IMO it will be just as exciting. Just look at the Canon 20D and 30D lineup and think what would make it even better; and you might be on the right track.

No rebates, but you are close on that one. :) Sorry I can't really say more here, and in the end I may have said too much:eek: . But your local dealer may be able to address the issue more directly than I can here. Just 6 days away. :)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
More new lenses from Nikon? Some hefty rebates on some of their current lenses? Now me, I'd appreciate a nice rebate on the 80-400.... :D Oh, I just re-read your post and you say, "No rebates..." So maybe you're hinting at some nice price drops. That would be lovely! Again, let's hear it for a price drop on the 80-400....

If it's something to do with Canon, well, that leaves me out.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
law guy said:
I know CP - the D200 is $300 more, which isn't much and yet the last few hundred hurt a little more. Oh no, the D200 hasn't escaped me. I'm going to give it a serious look (and feel). Thankfully (?) at that point there's a giant price moat.

Well, yes, there's a giant price moat between the D70s and the D200, but when you toss a Canon 30D into the equation, the moat shrinks significantly.

Whatever you purchase, you will want to be using and keeping it for a long time and you will want something which does the job for you and also serves as a tool for your own personal growth in photography.

Good luck and let us know what you get!

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Clix Pix said:
Well, yes, there's a giant price moat between the D70s and the D200, but when you toss a Canon 30D into the equation, the moat shrinks significantly.

Whatever you purchase, you will want to be using and keeping it for a long time and you will want something which does the job for you and also serves as a tool for your own personal growth in photography.

I meant above the D200 there's a giant price moat that keeps us all safe from considering 5Ds and D2x's lest we really go crazy.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
law guy said:
I meant above the D200 there's a giant price moat that keeps us all safe from considering 5Ds and D2x's lest we really go crazy.

This is true...there is a huge price jump between the D200 and the D2x.... but the D200 does amazingly well and has quite a few similarities to the D2x while being lighter and less expensive. It's a fantastic camera!

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Clix Pix said:
More new lenses from Nikon? Some hefty rebates on some of their current lenses? Now me, I'd appreciate a nice rebate on the 80-400.... :D Oh, I just re-read your post and you say, "No rebates..." So maybe you're hinting at some nice price drops. That would be lovely! Again, let's hear it for a price drop on the 80-400....

If it's something to do with Canon, well, that leaves me out.

LOL! Nothing to do with Canon.

No new product announcements, or rebates - as I know of. But Those that love Nikon, will not be disappointed. It may just bring more folks into the Nikon family.

Just 5 days away for me to speak openly. :)

Clix, just say that I wish I could have waited. :)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I know! Nikon are embracing the 4/3 digital mount and dumping all their current equipment. :D :eek:

Why isn't anyone taking me seriously? :p

It would be interesting to see the end of their 35mm line turn into something fantastic for the digital line, though.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Chip NoVaMac said:
LOL! Nothing to do with Canon.

No new product announcements, or rebates - as I know of. But Those that love Nikon, will not be disappointed. It may just bring more folks into the Nikon family.

Just 5 days away for me to speak openly. :)

Clix, just say that I wish I could have waited. :)

Ahhhh.....how frustrating to have to wait five more days to know what this exciting news is!!

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
bousozoku said:
I know! Nikon are embracing the 4/3 digital mount and dumping all their current equipment. :D :eek:

Why isn't anyone taking me seriously? :p

It would be interesting to see the end of their 35mm line turn into something fantastic for the digital line, though.

They may have dumped all but the F6 and the FM10 35mm cameras; but they did just released the 105 f/2.8 VR AFS lens. So there may be hope in the next few years for a FF Nikon.

i know that you support the 4/3's system. And you know that I don't hold the 24x36mm frame size as the end all of be all.But Olympus and Panasonic so need to up the ante in order for the 4/3's system to mean something. The excellent F/2.0 zoom lenses don't mean much till there is at least an 8 or 10mp sensor "pro" body.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Chip NoVaMac said:
They may have dumped all but the F6 and the FM10 35mm cameras; but they did just released the 105 f/2.8 VR AFS lens. So there may be hope in the next few years for a FF Nikon.

i know that you support the 4/3's system. And you know that I don't hold the 24x36mm frame size as the end all of be all.But Olympus and Panasonic so need to up the ante in order for the 4/3's system to mean something. The excellent F/2.0 zoom lenses don't mean much till there is at least an 8 or 10mp sensor "pro" body.

Oh, I know. It's been 2.5 years since the E-1 and I don't know why Olympus is taking so long in finalising the new body. I don't find a lot of fault with mine but it could do a lot of things better if the hardware would change.

I expected them to introduce an E-1N 6 months ago. I suspect that Kodak is having trouble with creating noise-resistant sensors. It's amazing to me because there is so much noise-resistance in the shadow detail but pump it up past ISO 400 and there is a problem. Noise Ninja and such software may work but that's not like Olympus. Obviously, the E-330 has a Panasonic sensor for the live view, but is it the only reason? I'm beginning to feel a bit like Kodak is another Motorola.

NinjaMonkey

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
bousozoku said:
Oh, I know. It's been 2.5 years since the E-1 and I don't know why Olympus is taking so long in finalising the new body. I don't find a lot of fault with mine but it could do a lot of things better if the hardware would change.

I expected them to introduce an E-1N 6 months ago. I suspect that Kodak is having trouble with creating noise-resistant sensors. It's amazing to me because there is so much noise-resistance in the shadow detail but pump it up past ISO 400 and there is a problem. Noise Ninja and such software may work but that's not like Olympus. Obviously, the E-330 has a Panasonic sensor for the live view, but is it the only reason? I'm beginning to feel a bit like Kodak is another Motorola.

There was an interview I read somewhere with someone at Oly where they stated they are speeding up the development of the E-1 replacement. It also said something to the fact that they realize there's demand for prime lenses so more are also in development.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
NinjaMonkey said:
There was an interview I read somewhere with someone at Oly where they stated they are speeding up the development of the E-1 replacement. It also said something to the fact that they realize there's demand for prime lenses so more are also in development.

Thanks. :)

I know that something is happening, they've just been taking their time with the big one. Focusing on the consumer market was always a big deal for them. The OLM-10 consumer SLR came out well in advance of the OLM-2, so it's a good thing that the OLM-1N was really good...for a long time.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Clix Pix said:

Thanks CP. I'm "dating" the new 30D as of today. I purchased it at the local camera shop in the kit (the 18-55 MK II is not that bad at all in my early use). I'm adapting to the layout. What I'm struck by is the sheer speed of the focus to picture. I tried the D50 for a few days a week or two ago and the 30D is zippier (which isn't a surprise given its 5fps capability). I imagine the D200 that Clix has is similarly astonishing in its sheer speed.

I'll report more later as I'm supposed to be getting some work done and I have mountains of it to get through.

LG

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
law guy said:
I imagine the D200 that Clix has is similarly astonishing in its sheer speed.
LG

Yep, comparing the 30D to the D50 isn't exactly quite fair, as they are different cameras aimed at different markets. Comparing the Digital Rebel to the D50 would be more in the same general target area.

Definitely the D200 is fast-fast-FAST! It is quicker than my D70 or D70s. I've never shot with the D50 so can't compare that one....

When I was using the Coolpix 8800, I was so frustrated by that camera. The first day I went out with my new D70 (a year ago), I was thrilled and delighted beyond belief at the difference in responsiveness. There is a difference between the D70/D70s and the D200, but it is not as marked, of course, since they're all DSLRs.

NinjaMonkey

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
bousozoku said:
Thanks. :)

I know that something is happening, they've just been taking their time with the big one. Focusing on the consumer market was always a big deal for them. The OLM-10 consumer SLR came out well in advance of the OLM-2, so it's a good thing that the OLM-1N was really good...for a long time.

I'm happy they are concentrating on the consumer market, that seems to be the biggest area for growth. The same article mentioned that the E330 was selling well and even outselling (though it just came out) the E500 in Japan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.