Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What DSLR Brand do you have

• Canon

Votes: 71 50.7%
  • Nikon

Votes: 54 38.6%
  • Konica/Minolta

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Olympus

Votes: 9 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 11 7.9%

• Total voters

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
Reading through the different postings it is interesting to hear the stories of why people have what they have. Honestly, I agree with those that say whatever works for you, use. I did not vote in the poll, because I have yet to buy a DSLR. I doubt I will have one for atleast another 3 years. Once I finish college and can lay down the money for one, I want to lay down the money all at once and purchase a good camera body that is going to last, and invest in some great lenses. At this point I have no focus or aim in what pictures I will be shooting, and I am still very much a novice in the area. However, I would be more compelled to invest in a Canon (Something along the lines of the EOS-20D, and I would assume by 2008 or 2009 they will have a camera replace the EOS-20D in that price range). Why?

My dad recently sold off his collection of film SLR equipment, however, I learned on a Canon TX, I also have used both the Canon AE-1 and the Canon AE-1 Program. My dad had numerous lenses. I don't remember all the specs, but I remember that there was a kit lens (50mm), he had a 28mm lens, a telephoto lens (I don't remember the range), and numerous others. As I said my knowledge isn't much in the area.

Being on the yearbook staff I have used our Canon Rebel Film SLR (I don't remember the model) with an 18-55mm lens.. but I don't know the specs. I have also used my ex-yearbook advisors Canon Rebel XT with the kit lens on it. On these cameras my pictures seem to look nice, a photographer would point out all of my flaws in the pictures; however, I have used numerous cameras and taken a ton of pictures over the years. Just being around Canon for so much I think I would go with Canon. However, when I really know what I am doing, my judgment will be better and my choice might change.

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
Canon 1D Mark II N, I like Canon for their lower noise and for the image quality, their controls are easy to learn and a great first time DSLR.

areyouwishing

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2003
Utah
Nikon D70 w/ 2.0 firmware

I got into SLR photography in June of last year. I bought a nikon N80 because I enjoyed the feel, and seemed to have a no nonsense system. I then went to digital late last month and stuck with Nikon...

Personally I think you can get a higher quality picture with a canon, but you almost always end up paying more. XT vs. d50, 30d vs. d70, 5d vs. 200d. To me it all came down to feel. The XT was too small for my hands, and the price was higher than what i could get a used mint condition d70 which has features and feel more in line with with a 20d.

I got a mint condition D70 with...
Extra Battery
1GB Compact Flash
18-70mm Nikkor DX
... for $600

The bottom line for me was that I take better pictures when I am more comfortable and can make that quick shot. The XT for me was too cramped and had a sub-par kit lens. This to me was worth losing 2mp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.