Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What DSLR Brand do you have

• Canon

Votes: 71 50.7%
  • Nikon

Votes: 54 38.6%
  • Konica/Minolta

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Olympus

Votes: 9 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 11 7.9%

• Total voters

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
law guy said:
Thanks CP. I'm "dating" the new 30D as of today. I purchased it at the local camera shop in the kit (the 18-55 MK II is not that bad at all in my early use). I'm adapting to the layout. What I'm struck by is the sheer speed of the focus to picture. I tried the D50 for a few days a week or two ago and the 30D is zippier (which isn't a surprise given its 5fps capability). I imagine the D200 that Clix has is similarly astonishing in its sheer speed.

I'll report more later as I'm supposed to be getting some work done and I have mountains of it to get through.

LG

Updated - my follow up is now in a seperate thread to declutter this one a bit.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Chip NoVaMac said:
LOL! Nothing to do with Canon.

No new product announcements, or rebates - as I know of. But Those that love Nikon, will not be disappointed. It may just bring more folks into the Nikon family.

Just 5 days away for me to speak openly. :)

Clix, just say that I wish I could have waited. :)

A little bird told me Nikon are dropping the price on the D70s.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
@Law Guy: Between a Canon 30D and a D70s, I'd probably think about going with a 30D. Between a D200 and a 20D or 30D, I couldn't think of any reason for going with a 20D/30D unless there was a significant reason (ie: large investment in Canon lenses, your rich girlfriend/father/mother/best friend has heaps of lenses that he'd gladly lend you or just give to you freely). The D200 gives you features and build quality and details. The 30D doesn't. Don't know how you feel about the ergonomics and button layout, though.

Chip NoVaMac said:
LOL!

No, it is not a new camera. But IMO it will be just as exciting. Just look at the Canon 20D and 30D lineup and think what would make it even better; and you might be on the right track.

No rebates, but you are close on that one. :) Sorry I can't really say more here, and in the end I may have said too much:eek: . But your local dealer may be able to address the issue more directly than I can here. Just 6 days away. :)

Nikon D50, D70s, AND a D200 with an 18-200 mm VR-II kit lense (if they haven't announced something like that already?). :) And just for shyts-n-giggles, they're going to throw in a 10.5mm fisheye lens for really wide angle shots. Yeah, that's a stretch.

What's up with that new Nikon software that's coming out? Could that be it? Is it going to be bundled with all new Nikon dSLRs?

On the other hand, you told us to wait for news coming up to decide Nikon vs Canon, and yet you just mentioned something missing in the 20D and 30D lineup, so it must not have anything to do with Nikon at all. :( But then you said it was about Nikon, and now my head hurts.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
drlunanerd said:

Aha! Kinda wondered if maybe it weren't something like that. They've already been dropping prices on the D50. This is prime buying season for new cameras as the weather gets nice, things start blooming, photographers get out there to shoot away and families start thinking of vacation plans.... so of course Nikon would want to take advantage.

This price-dropping, IMHO, also sounds the death knell for the D70s, so anyone who really would like one should snap it up now. As nice as the D50 is, there are distinct advantages to the D70s for the photographer who wants a bit more in the way of features and functionality but who isn't quite ready to make the jump to the D200. If I didn't already have a D70s as a backup body I'd be tempted to take advantage if the price was dropped significantly, and I'd definitely choose that over a D50....

Abstract said:
What's up with that new Nikon software that's coming out? Could that be it? Is it going to be bundled with all new Nikon dSLRs?

I think you're talking about the next version of Nikon Capture, and if so, sorry to say, but no, that would not be bundled with any of Nikon's new cameras. They charge an extra $100 or more for it. I don't use any Nikon software in my computers because frankly IMO it is not all that good and from what I'm told, NC is sloooooowwww as molasses. Nikon makes good cameras and good glass. Software is not its forte. Many years ago I had serious problems with one of my computers and a version of NikonView (the software that was bundled at the time) and ever since then I'm wary of it.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
drlunanerd said:

That little bird was right. Our price drops on the D70s lineup came today, a few days early! $200 less for the body and kits!

Abstract said:
Nikon D50, D70s, AND a D200 with an 18-200 mm VR-II kit lense (if they haven't announced something like that already?). :) And just for shyts-n-giggles, they're going to throw in a 10.5mm fisheye lens for really wide angle shots. Yeah, that's a stretch.

Yeah, all of that was a stretch. Though I will tell you that IMO the 18-200VR and the 10.5 makes a great travel kit.

Doubt that will ever happen. And easy $100 for Nikon, for IMO a great program.

On the other hand, you told us to wait for news coming up to decide Nikon vs Canon, and yet you just mentioned something missing in the 20D and 30D lineup, so it must not have anything to do with Nikon at all. :( But then you said it was about Nikon, and now my head hurts.

What is missing in the Canon lineup is an affordable "serious" DSLR. At $300 more for the D200 over the 30D, the D200 is a clear winner IMO for those without lenses. I am looking at price points, just as many consumers do.

With the new D70s price drops, one has to really look at features like 5fps and Picture Styles and think what are their real needs. Sure there are things like B&W modes and such; but the D200 has those too. Not to mention the build quality of the D200 over the 30D. Too bad Nikon can't keep up with the demand for the camera.

Being an owner of both Nikon and Canon DSLR's, I can say I am disappointed like many others with the relatively minor update to the 30D. Many things could be firmware implemented I think; like 1/3 or 1/2 step increments in the ISO setting, or a 9 frame bracketed exposure (a cool thing for CS2's HDR function. Hell, even going to 6fps would have been nice.

Clix Pix said:
Aha! Kinda wondered if maybe it weren't something like that. They've already been dropping prices on the D50. This is prime buying season for new cameras as the weather gets nice, things start blooming, photographers get out there to shoot away and families start thinking of vacation plans.... so of course Nikon would want to take advantage.

You really need to come and work for us! :D

This price-dropping, IMHO, also sounds the death knell for the D70s, so anyone who really would like one should snap it up now. As nice as the D50 is, there are distinct advantages to the D70s for the photographer who wants a bit more in the way of features and functionality but who isn't quite ready to make the jump to the D200. If I didn't already have a D70s as a backup body I'd be tempted to take advantage if the price was dropped significantly, and I'd definitely choose that over a D50....

Not really. The D70s has some legs left. And IMO any replacement won't be announced till late summer or early fall. And if they can't improve their delivery rate (like the poor showing with the D200), any D70s replacement that can't be delivered within 15 to 20 days of a customer order will hurt their 4th qtr results.

Looking at body pricing, I think that we need to get over the idea of a $300 DSLR body. Life and the economy moves on. I think that this point a DSLR line up (at price points) of $499, $699, $899-999, and $1499 (leaving alone the "pro" models in the $1999+ range) makes sense for the survival of the camera companies and the specialty retailers.

If I were to be buying my Nikon DSLR right now, I would be very tempted to lean towards the D70s. Though the D50 is smaller, and the JPEG's are designed to be ready to print. The extras like the grid on the screen, and the wireless flash would be bonuses that would make my selling off my Canon system easier "emotionally", perhaps.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Chip NoVaMac said:
That little bird was right. Our price drops on the D70s lineup came today, a few days early! $200 less for the body and kits!

Excellent! Thanks for letting me know. If they'd drop the price on the D200 though I'd be more interested :D

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
cgratti said:
I'd put a Canon L lens up against any Nikkor lens anyday.

That's not saying much. I just hope you don't put one of those yet-to-be-refurbished L-series lenses up against any Nikkor. ;)

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
Olympus E-500

As people before me I went with the e-500 for the same reason.
Also for the price. With their rebate going on right now with two lens it can be had for $699...just a few years ago I paid my Nikon 950 double of that :)
One of the selling point for me was the dust reduction.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
I use Olympus and Nikon DSLR's. WOuld love that new Panasonic L-1 coming out. I don't care much for Canons, the artifacting and loss of fine detail even with my Leica lenses doesn't seem to help. The XT is still rather nice however.

dabirdwell

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2002
Oklahoma
bousozoku said:
Oh, I know. It's been 2.5 years since the E-1 and I don't know why Olympus is taking so long in finalising the new body. I don't find a lot of fault with mine but it could do a lot of things better if the hardware would change.

I expected them to introduce an E-1N 6 months ago. I suspect that Kodak is having trouble with creating noise-resistant sensors. It's amazing to me because there is so much noise-resistance in the shadow detail but pump it up past ISO 400 and there is a problem. Noise Ninja and such software may work but that's not like Olympus. Obviously, the E-330 has a Panasonic sensor for the live view, but is it the only reason? I'm beginning to feel a bit like Kodak is another Motorola.

I don't think they're going to use a Kodak sensor. I think Oly is looking to source sensors from smaller manufacturers.

Mr. Jones

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2006
Twin Cities
Camera Bodies:
Canon EOS IV HS
Canon EOD ID Mark II N
Canon EOS 5D

Camera Lenses:
10-22mm
15mm Fisheye
16-35mm L
24-85mm
28-135mm
35-80mm
50mm
50mm Macro
100mm Macro
70-200mm L
70-300mm DO
100-400mm L

Other Stuff:
2x 580EX Speedlites
2x Extender II
1.4x Extender II

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
cgratti said:
I wouldn't want to embarrass the Nikon user. ;)

Sounds as though you're trying to bait Nikon users....

Why? Pride about your own choices? Insecurity about your own choices?

Thing is, these forums are primarily geared towards Apple products, especially Macs. The digital photography forum is only one of several which veer off into more specialized interests. This forum is fairly new, too, having been established only a few months ago after a few people had made suggestions and requests...and it has the potential to be a really valuable and interesting forum. The purpose of this forum, however, is NOT to generate or perpetuate "Nikon versus Canon" wars. That kind of thing is just plain silly. You want that, go to the forums at DPR and you can have a merry old time..... (If you don't know what I mean by DPR then you're not really as in the loop as you seem to think you are.) If anything, engaging too vigorously in a "Nikon vs Canon" flamewar can get you banned from here. Is that what you want?

Really, this all is quite simple. Nikon makes good camera bodies and good lenses. Canon makes good camera bodies and good lenses. Other manufacturers make good camera bodies and good lenses. The choices one makes when purchasing a camera body and lens(es) and when making an investment in a "system" are highly individualized and subjective. What feels "right" and "good" when handling a particular camera body and lens will be different from person to person. Other subjective elements come into play, too, of course. The bottom line here is, though, that most current DSLR individual bodies and lenses, as well as entire "systems" are pretty darned good. Each has an appeal to different people for all kinds of different reasons. This does not make one particular brand superior to all others. That said, yes, certain brands/certain lenses may have a reputation for excelling in specific situations (Canon cameras and lenses excel at shooting high-energy sports action, for instance). This doesn't mean, however, that all other brands are inferior....it simply means that for some particular uses one brand of camera and lenses seems to have a leading edge.

Some people actually use both Canon and Nikon, demonstrating very effectively that they're choosing the best tool(s) for a particular situation under particular circumstances, and that this is not wedded to one brand over another. This makes good sense to me.

OK, so in your post you more-or-less presented a challenge to Nikon users vis-a-vis Nikon lenses vs Canon lenses. My question to you now is, just which lenses have you used, or more specifically, which do you own, so that if need be you could actually participate in a head-to-head shootout comparing lenses? I'm sure that a few of us on here who have a number of lenses would be up to such an event... Actually, I don't remember seeing any images of yours posted on this forum or others within this site; if you run a search on me you'll find that I've shared a few images here-and-there, all shot with Nikon glass....

In the end, though, the bottom line is not even with which camera body or with which lens someone has shot a particular image....it is more the photographer's creative vision and his/her execution of such vision that matters the most.

Mr. Jones

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2006
Twin Cities
I'll try and remain as ojective as I can.
In the 60's and 70's, it was generally accepted that Nikon was generally accepted as the camera system of choice. During the 80's, a shift occured. Nikon and Canon were sitting almost dead even. Then, in the 90's, Canon really made advances in 35mm as well as digital. In the new millenium, Canon locked in its lead when it came out with increasingly more advanced digital cameras. The point is that Canon has a head start and has been two steps ahead of Nikon in the digital race. Nikon, however, has been picking up the slack and has been trying to overtake Canon. The D200 was an excellent step forward, however, Nikon doesn't mnufacture their own sensors, so it's difficult for them to control their advances as they're relying heavily upon others. You can rest assured that Nikon will make advances in the digital arms race, but we'll see where the chips fall.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Mr. Jones said:
In the 60's and 70's, it was generally accepted that Nikon was generally accepted as the camera system of choice. During the 80's, a shift occured. Nikon and Canon were sitting almost dead even. Then, in the 90's, Canon really made advances in 35mm as well as digital. In the new millenium, Canon locked in its lead when it came out with increasingly more advanced digital cameras. The point is that Canon has a head start and has been two steps ahead of Nikon in the digital race. Nikon, however, has been picking up the slack and has been trying to overtake Canon. The D200 was an excellent step forward, however, Nikon doesn't mnufacture their own sensors, so it's difficult for them to control their advances as they're relying heavily upon others. You can rest assured that Nikon will make advances in the digital arms race, but we'll see where the chips fall.

Hi, Mr Jones! Looks as though you know whereeof you speak when it comes to Canon -- you've got plenty of Canon gear in terms of both bodies and glass! I think that you've made some excellent points here. One thing to consider, though, is whether or not Canon may have been too quick on the draw in some instances, too quick to come out with the newest.... which may in the end not turn out to be the greatest?

Long before the D200 Nikon drew many people into purchasing and using their first DSLR when the D70 hit the streets. That camera body and kit lens had a phenomenal success. I don't know whether or not in actual sales figures it outdid the Canon Digital Rebel, but certainly it made Nikon's mark in the ever-growing world of digital imaging. I believe the Nikon D70 was "camera of the year" for some photography magazine (or maybe more than one). Prior to that, there was Nikon's success with its line of Coolpix cameras. That itself introduced many people to the whole world of digital imaging.....myself included. I remember buying my first digital camera, the Nikon Coolpix 900, and being so excited. I loved that camera and when I was ready for the next step, Nikon had the 990 ready for me, and after that, the 995....

The D70 was a phenomenal success. With the advent of the D200 many D70 users were ready to move onward and upward, and so far that camera has shown every sign of being a hot seller as eager buyers have put themselves on waiting lists to get one. Obviously the quality is there.

Nikon as a camera manufacturer has been around for many years longer than Canon and throughout its history it has strived to make high-quality cameras and glass, even if not always managing to be at the very leading edge every step of the way. Both Nikon and Canon have been innovators in their own ways and both have very high-quality lines of cameras and lenses.

Looking forward to seeing more from you and also to seeing some samples of your work. With all those lenses, I'm sure you do a lot of photography!

Mr. Jones

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2006
Twin Cities
Clix Pix said:
Hi, Mr Jones! Looks as though you know whereeof you speak when it comes to Canon -- you've got plenty of Canon gear in terms of both bodies and glass! I think that you've made some excellent points here. One thing to consider, though, is whether or not Canon may have been too quick on the draw in some instances, too quick to come out with the newest.... which may in the end not turn out to be the greatest?

Long before the D200 Nikon drew many people into purchasing and using their first DSLR when the D70 hit the streets. That camera body and kit lens had a phenomenal success. I don't know whether or not in actual sales figures it outdid the Canon Digital Rebel, but certainly it made Nikon's mark in the ever-growing world of digital imaging. I believe the Nikon D70 was "camera of the year" for some photography magazine (or maybe more than one). Prior to that, there was Nikon's success with its line of Coolpix cameras. That itself introduced many people to the whole world of digital imaging.....myself included. I remember buying my first digital camera, the Nikon Coolpix 900, and being so excited. I loved that camera and when I was ready for the next step, Nikon had the 990 ready for me, and after that, the 995....

The D70 was a phenomenal success. With the advent of the D200 many D70 users were ready to move onward and upward, and so far that camera has shown every sign of being a hot seller as eager buyers have put themselves on waiting lists to get one. Obviously the quality is there.

Nikon as a camera manufacturer has been around for many years longer than Canon and throughout its history it has strived to make high-quality cameras and glass, even if not always managing to be at the very leading edge every step of the way. Both Nikon and Canon have been innovators in their own ways and both have very high-quality lines of cameras and lenses.

Looking forward to seeing more from you and also to seeing some samples of your work. With all those lenses, I'm sure you do a lot of photography!

I know a thing or two about a thing or two when it comes to Canon stuff. I don't think Canon was too quick to jump into the digital market. I think a lot of companies saw the value of a digital workflow, but only few really took advantage of it. During the Battle of Seattle, digital cameras were instrumental in reporting in real time. During a time when the internet was growing tremendously, companies that produced digital cameras reaped the benefits.

The D70 and the following D70s had a success that was on par with Canon's 20D, which is highly respectable. I used the D200 as an example because it was a tremendous step forward versus the "different body, same 6.3 MP sensor" thing that they had going on for a while.

Nikon is no doubt a good manufacturer. I would still consider the Nikon F5 one of the best film bodies. My film body of choice is the 1V HS with the rediculous 10 fps (and believe me, it really does go that fast) and the 45 point AF.

I'll be sure to put up some of my work very soon.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Mr. Jones said:

Your grip on humour about Canon is quite convincing though your history is a bit faulty.

macpastor

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2006
Just putting my vote in for the NIkon D50 which I own, and love. It has been a great camera so far, and I am surprised each time I use it how simple it is, but yet how great the pics look time after time.

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
I'm shooting with a Fuji S2 that I bought back in 2002. So for the purposed of the poll I think does that make me a Fuji user or a Nikon user?:confused:

I chose the S2 over the D100 because of its backward speedlight compatibility, sharper jpegs without post processing and cleaner user interface. Currently salivating over the D200 but thats purchase will have to wait a while.

BoyRacer

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2003
Sony DSC-R1: Not a proper DSLR but is it worth a mention?

I'm sorry to throw this thread off track by speaking about a non-DSLR; I'll be brief.

I'm a point and shoot kind of guy and I'm fabulously impressed with myself that I was able to recognize my 'limitations' and practice restraint. I'm also glad that I did as I have no regrets with the Sony DSC-R1.

10.3 MegaPixel, live preview on the top-mounted LCD, 5X Carl Zeiss 24-120mm lens, and an almost DSLR-sized APS-class sensor (2.15cm x 1.4cm).

Sony DSC-R1 Review:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_r1-review/index.shtml

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.