Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Sure, I want features from macOS. Features like Finder, overlapping windows, the ability to install software normally, the ability to run Mac software, the ability to prevent individual apps from accessing the internet, Firefox extensions so I can block ads, the ability to run virtual machines, a command line, a menu bar.... Oh. Yeah, I want macOS.

Throw up Launchpad and default to full screen apps if there isn't a mouse and keyboard connected. If there is, default to Finder and normal Mac mode. That would be a useful device. The iPad as it is is nothing but a toy with a few niche use cases.
As a home computer it’s all you ever need.

And for professional use, unless you’re a video editor, a windows machine is often a better choice. I’m an accountant: excel on Mac sucks and their own Numbers app is a joke for pro use. The iPad works as a perfect companion device for pro work for me.

jo-1

macrumors regular
May 13, 2023
three words we need to know: Four Tera Bytes

( that's my dream configuration )

It will be a stunning backup for my MBP and it'll add what was missing - enough storage on the go. With the ever increasing file sizes of images and video this was badly needed. I got my M1 Max MBP maxed out with everything including 8 TB and I am using it regularly when traveling to backup my files. Shrinks down the number of additional drives and together with the Samsung 8 TB 2.5" SSDs this is a clever combination.

With 4 TB in the iPad I can probably ditch the larger and heavier MBP for some lean traveling setup.

More NPU power - fine - I am all about that and last but not least all the upgrades from the M3 additionally. That's a really nice package.

I start to wonder whether the M4 was actually the original intention of the M3?

With the quick shift to the M4 it could likely be that Apple wanted to include these features in the M3 but could not finish it. The comparably lackluster improvements on the M2 and M3 steps may support that claim. Surely the steps are notable and I am a fan of every possible improvement but it looks like the long term strategy might have been to include all things in the potential M4 in the M3 but did not work out properly.

Just a wild speculation and based on nothing but my gut feeling and some educated guessing.

Couldn't be more thrilled with the rumors and I will buy the maxed out 11.1" OLED iPAD Pro in second one - I am guessing some € 4 k for it and that's just fine with me. My current one from 2018 never let me down in almost six years of using it - back then I bought the 1 TB option which is still nice by today's standards and the only iPad with 6 GB RAM for a long time. I payed some € 2 k for it and it boils down to just € 1 per day - roughly a coffee from a vending machine.

Reactions: MareLuce

AndiG

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
Will Cook finally realize that the AVP was DOA (Dead on Arrival)? And acknowledge that while Xiaomi could build a car, Apple has not achieved the same?

It seems it might be time for Tim to explore new directions and part ways with Apple.

Neil J. Squillante

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2017
New York, NY
So if it is no Macbooks and no desktops does it mean that no hardware announcements will be made?

All I can predict is that all AI features announced will only work on Apple Silicon as Apple makes its biggest push yet to get Intel Mac users to upgrade. Many Intel Macs have been replaced with iPads but there’s still a sizable group of 27-inch iMac holdouts.

MarkDeMoss

macrumors member
May 24, 2012
Can I watch it on my Vision Pro in Spatial Mode?
Ha, that wouldn’t go with the let loose theme since you have something strapped to your head. I do hope there’s something for the Vision Pro for navigation. Right now it’s just your fingers and outdated lightning accessories.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I'm sure the half-dozen apps that actually work with ProMotion look great on that OLED display!

Maybe Apple could actually fix their iPadOS so ALL apps use ProMotion? Is that asking too much?

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
if apple wants to say computers are "trucks", I can rent a truck at home Depot or u haul any time I need it. Apple should rent out computers, not forcing people to buy both an iPad and computer.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Will Cook finally realize that the AVP was DOA (Dead on Arrival)? And acknowledge that while Xiaomi could build a car, Apple has not achieved the same?

It seems it might be time for Tim to explore new directions and part ways with Apple.
Apple has been very successful under Tim’s leadership. It’s only been lately that Apple has begun to stumble a little. Yes, they should’ve never started the car project. The modem project did make sense to some degree as it can be advantageous to bring some manufacturing in-house. The jury is still out on the AVP, but it’s beginning to look like a product that should’ve stayed in the lab for a few more years, evolving into something less cumbersome than what we have today. So is it time for Tim to leave, right now I would say no, but one thing is certain, Apple needs to reevaluate what products they should be focusing on and staying away from projects that only end up draining their resources. Also maybe Apple could raise the base RAM and capacities on some of their products. Okay, maybe for that to happen, Tim will have to leave Apple.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Mark Gurmans Sunday article is just repeating the same predictions, but this time he must have read a lot of the various forum comments related to how iPadOS hasn't gone the same distance as IOS for iPhones.

Now it’s time for Apple to take a stand. Does it want the iPad to be a half-baked laptop alternative or a real computing replacement? Consumers are confused about why they should buy an iPad versus a Mac and vice versa.
The answer: Apple should commit to making the iPad as capable as a laptop, but in a form that tablet users prefer. The Mac should be for consumers who like working on a traditional computer; the iPad should be for people who want the option of a touch screen.
IMHO Mark is trying to slide his opinions into this wedge between should a iPad running IPadOS be something different from using a IPhone and a Mac, and the opinion that why isn't ipadOS after all this time more Mac like? I still feel yes Apple has dropped the ball for too long shackling IPadOS to be too much like just an extended iOS. It needs to evolve some more. :cool:
From a business standpoint, there’s always been a fear that the iPad will cannibalize Mac sales if it gets too powerful. So what? Neither category is doing that hot right now. Apple should just make the best iPad it can, while also making the best Mac it can. The days of purposely holding back the iPad need to end.
Apple has a chance to kick off a new era for the iPad at its “Let Loose” launch event planned for Tuesday. The presentation, which is expected to be about 35 minutes, should set the product on a new path. It’s also an opportunity to clean up the confusing iPad lineup, which is currently made up of five different models.
Fixing the situation starts with making the high-end iPad range look more like their Mac counterparts. And that’s just what Apple seems poised to do.
In the end we all turn to iPadOS 18 to what the future entails, otherwise hardware will never fly as high as it could. ;)

Expecting IPadOS 17.5 on Monday 13th. RC on the 7th (same day as event)

Reactions: DaPhox and Chuckeee

AndiG

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
Apple has been very successful under Tim’s leadership. It’s only been lately that Apple has begun to stumble a little. Yes, they should’ve never started the car project. The modem project did make sense to some degree as it can be advantageous to bring some manufacturing in-house. The jury is still out on the AVP, but it’s beginning to look like a product that should’ve stayed in the lab for a few more years, evolving into something less cumbersome than what we have today. So is it time for Tim to leave, right now I would say no, but one thing is certain, Apple needs to reevaluate what products they should be focusing on and staying away from projects that only end up draining their resources. Also maybe Apple could raise the base RAM and capacities on some of their products. Okay, maybe for that to happen, Tim will have to leave Apple.
Do you remember Steve when he said that Apple made an insane amount of profits and that this was one of the root causes why Apple failed, before Jobs returned? The same happened again - you may call this successfull. But Tim was only successful in selling Steves products and that‘s it.

With Tim there will never be a new product comparable to the iPhone.

Last edited:

sdf

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2004
given artwork and tagline, I think a major Freeform update is all but guaranteed.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
if apple wants to say computers are "trucks", I can rent a truck at home Depot or u haul any time I need it. Apple should rent out computers, not forcing people to buy both an iPad and computer.
Not at the May 7th event and not at WWDC. But looking at the tea leaves (rising cost of Apple products and growth of the Apple service sector and Apple explorations into the finance sector) Leasing, instead of buying, high-end Apple products is definitely coming.

Reactions: cogzero

Algr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2022
Earth (mostly)
That's the iPad Pro render from hell. If the iPad Pro gets a notch I'm exiting the whole ecosystem.
All iPads need a bezel large enough for the physical lens cap:

Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 3.27.33 PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.