Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d4cloo

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2016
Los Angeles
I would rather have Apple introduce a new range of iPads that go back to the M1 instead and lowering the price by a few hundred bucks.
That would properly position them again in their product family: not as a laptop replacement but as a light and flexible computing device that can occasionally stretch beyond that if needed.

Whether they get equipped with an M1 or M4 doesn’t really matter in respect to what use-cases they unlock. It’s not that an M4 will allow me to do stuff I was never able to before. Perhaps an M1 is a bit slower but who cares on an iPad.

ddhhddhh2

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
Taipei
Oh, so the iPad Pro has become even more powerful again, huh? So what? Besides specific needs, the iPad is still not sufficient to act as a true productivity tool to date. It's really just a luxury display terminal, which it does quite well, especially given its price, which lives up to the 'Pro' name. Anyway, I don't expect it to provide any thrilling fantasies.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Oh, so the iPad Pro has become even more powerful again, huh? So what? Besides specific needs, the iPad is still not sufficient to act as a true productivity tool to date. It's really just a luxury display terminal, which it does quite well, especially given its price, which lives up to the 'Pro' name. Anyway, I don't expect it to provide any thrilling fantasies.

I truly wish I could be more productive with iPad Pro.

Right now I can only:
  • Browse the internet and check emails
  • Produce written content fit-for-the-web using Ulysses
  • Use Apple Notes to access all the important things in my life that I have recorded, and written down
  • Create, track, edit my todo lists
  • Manage my finances, generate documents for my accountant, and submit tax returns
  • Edit photos using industry-leading applications Photoshop and Affinity Photo
  • Work with vector graphics using Illustrator
  • Produce powerful presentations using Keynote
  • Word processing with Pages
  • Develop my spreadsheets with Numbers
  • Work with FileMaker Pro databases on my iPad
  • Use all the key Microsoft 365 apps when needed for a client
  • Create beautiful artistic works using Procreate and the Apple Pencil
  • Develop game design skills with Codea
  • Create short videos for social networking apps using iMovie
  • Learn a new language with Duolingo
  • Plan out trips with my wife using Apple Maps
  • Make music with Garageband
  • Connect to my servers to perform maintenance, install security patches, check logs using Prompt 3
  • Access my entire library of music, whenever I want to, wherever I go
  • Enjoy immersive Apple Originals with the Apple TV app, and gain instant access to almost any movie ever made with the TV Store
  • Perform complex calculations using pCalc.
  • Film YouTube videos as well as edit them and upload them
  • Stay on track of all the things going in my life with Fantastical and its incredible library of widgets; it brings together things like cross-platform/service calendars, tasks, notes in one central location.
  • Print, sign and scan documents using AirPrint

ddhhddhh2

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
Taipei
I truly wish I could be more productive with iPad Pro.

Right now I can only:
  • Browse the internet and check emails
  • Produce written content fit-for-the-web using Ulysses
  • Use Apple Notes to access all the important things in my life that I have recorded, and written down
  • Create, track, edit my todo lists
  • Manage my finances, generate documents for my accountant, and submit tax returns
  • Edit photos using industry-leading applications Photoshop and Affinity Photo
  • Work with vector graphics using Illustrator
  • Produce powerful presentations using Keynote
  • Word processing with Pages
  • Develop my spreadsheets with Numbers
  • Work with FileMaker Pro databases on my iPad
  • Use all the key Microsoft 365 apps when needed for a client
  • Create beautiful artistic works using Procreate and the Apple Pencil
  • Develop game design skills with Codea
  • Create short videos for social networking apps using iMovie
  • Learn a new language with Duolingo
  • Plan out trips with my wife using Apple Maps
  • Make music with Garageband
  • Connect to my servers to perform maintenance, install security patches, check logs using Prompt 3
  • Access my entire library of music, whenever I want to, wherever I go
  • Enjoy immersive Apple Originals with the Apple TV app, and gain instant access to almost any movie ever made with the TV Store
  • Perform complex calculations using pCalc.
  • Film YouTube videos as well as edit them and upload them
  • Stay on track of all the things going in my life with Fantastical and its incredible library of widgets; it brings together things like cross-platform/service calendars, tasks, notes in one central location.
  • Print, sign and scan documents using AirPrint

I'm glad that what I consider junk almost becomes unstoppable in your hands. Congratulations.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
I'm glad that what I consider junk almost becomes unstoppable in your hands. Congratulations.

Yeah a lot of Apple criticisms are really about the individual, and not the product or service. The iPad lifestyle is definitely not for everyone. Some will always prefer using macOS because it's the world they grew up in and know the best. Nothing wrong with that, but iPad is far from junk. :D

ddhhddhh2

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
Taipei
Yeah a lot of Apple criticisms are really about the individual, and not the product or service. The iPad lifestyle is definitely not for everyone. Some will always prefer using macOS because it's the world they grew up in and know the best. Nothing wrong with that, but iPad is far from junk. :D

Perhaps you don't know that I actually love the "junk" in my hands. It's exquisite, well-made, high-performance, and has a gorgeous screen. No matter which generation, every time I use it, it feels as exhilarating as the first time I explored a woman. In fact, I've been using it since its early days when its performance was still poor, and I've never given up on using it as a productivity tool. However, the real truth is, under deliberate policies, it almost can't be used as a reasonable development tool now (and probably won't be any better in a few years), except for certain specific use cases. Indeed, I particularly admire its exceptional talent in graphics.

Of course, I can connect it to my development cloud, where it's "almost omnipotent," but those capabilities should have been available locally on the iPad, not relying on various bizarre solutions. I've even seen people use another Mac as a remote host while the iPad merely serves as a terminal to access it. Seriously, Windows/Linux users must be snickering behind their hands.

Apple might have a thousand reasons why the iPad can't be like a Mac, and I agree with all those reasons, but please add just one more: Tim is worried you won't buy a Mac if you have an iPad. That would make me feel a bit better, otherwise, every time Apple promotes it as more than just a tablet, almost like it could be your second computer, I nearly forget.

AppZ.Zero

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2021
I expect nothing. iPad Hardware is good but cant be really utilized with the current state for iPad OS. Without a real desktop mode, real desktop/Mac OS Apps the ipad is just a toy, not a tool.

Reactions: Chuckeee

Lulukehawkins

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2021
I've been excited for this round of iPad releases, but I'm fast losing that. I have an iPad Air 3 with an Apple Pencil 1. I just can't believe these iPads still have camera bumps and are so expensive. I'd love a lighter and kore responsive writing experience but the iPad is still trying to be too many things and not doing enough of them well. The pro will be thinner which is nice, but at what cost? And how will these OLED panels hold up compared to LCD. I think I'll be keeping my Air 3 for a few more years yet.

Reactions: alecgold

AndiG

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
Apple wanted to make a fully autonomous car, Xiaomi's car relies on regular meat-bags to do the driving, and Xiaomi isn't building a car, the Beijing Automotive Group who Xiaomi partnered with is.
But Apple didn‘t even manage to do the same. Apple was in talks with different car manufacturers, but all of them denied. Having Apple as a „partner“ is a pain and everyone knows that.

Apple didn‘t even manage to sell an OS or silicon to car manufacturers and today, Apple is locked out of car business.

But look, who is in - Android!! In 2023 even BMW switched to Androids base AOSP for its infotainment system.

Apple completely failed in the car business.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
We are getting to the point that we pre-judge whats coming without seeing it after it is announced. You might want it or not depends on what you are using now and what you hope to gain buying an updated model. Yes all the hardware improvements in the world won't be beneficial to you unless the next operating system has something you really want to use. The new calculator might be very cool.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I've been excited for this round of iPad releases, but I'm fast losing that. I have an iPad Air 3 with an Apple Pencil 1. I just can't believe these iPads still have camera bumps and are so expensive. I'd love a lighter and kore responsive writing experience but the iPad is still trying to be too many things and not doing enough of them well. The pro will be thinner which is nice, but at what cost? And how will these OLED panels hold up compared to LCD. I think I'll be keeping my Air 3 for a few more years yet.
I really like this. People holding on and using their iPads for these amounts of times. I am a bit jealous of this but in a good way.

I myself use my iPad for 8 to 14 hours a day so after two years of usage, so my iPad batteries are usually pretty worn down to 80-85%. this is why I like to replace my iPad every two years. It doesn’t get disregarded obviously, but handed down to my wife or kids.

My iPad 12.9 inches is used daily for note taking, reading and the basic sort of activities like email a bit of PDF editing, et cetera. Especially reading magazines is a joy on the larger iPad but also taking handwritten notes that are automatically translated into ascii are really nice.

If I need to do some heavy lifting with excel or with PowerPoint I do use a work given Windows laptop. But using the Windows laptop for something simple like teams is making its sound like a hoover craft.

So as I say often in these discussions, you need to use right to for the job. And the iPad is it tool that can be used for many jobs.

i’m really curious what the new iPads are about but I’m also concerned about pricing. in the past I have been using one terabyte devices because they have much more memory, combined with 5G/LTE and a new pencil and a new keyboard it might get bloody expensive. But the monster also really looking forward to an oled display. The miniLED display Does have a lot of ghosting in the (near) dark which does annoy me quite a bit, more than I expected.

Antoniosmalakia

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2021
I might be the only one, but I've not had much luck with either of the silicone iPhone cases I've had from Apple. Both times, the corners peeled off, revealing the plastic underneath. Also, every little bit of fluff they even came into contact with got stuck to them

If they intend on implementing the finish on the iPad Pro Magic Keyboard, I hope they have worked on both of these issues, because as it stands, I don't think it's a particularly premium experience.

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
I'm pretty pumped to see what a new mini would look like.
Hopefully we'll see that..

Don't get me wrong...I lust over a shiny new pro, but in the end I'm not sure I'd take advantage of it.
I need a homekit hub, an A3 note-taking system and a larger screen to watch youtube (anything bigger than a standard iPhone is OK).
Sure, I could buy a last gen mini used, but I'd prefer having something that'll enjoy years of security updates.

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
I'm pretty pumped to see what a new mini would look like.
Hopefully we'll see that..

Don't get me wrong...I lust over a shiny new pro, but in the end I'm not sure I'd take advantage of it.
I need a homekit hub, an A3 note-taking system and a larger screen to watch youtube (anything bigger than a standard iPhone is OK).
Sure, I could buy a last gen mini used, but I'd prefer having something that'll enjoy years of security updates.
Prepare for disappointment. No mini tomorrow.

Reactions: Chuckeee

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Perhaps you don't know that I actually love the "junk" in my hands. It's exquisite, well-made, high-performance, and has a gorgeous screen. No matter which generation, every time I use it, it feels as exhilarating as the first time I explored a woman. In fact, I've been using it since its early days when its performance was still poor, and I've never given up on using it as a productivity tool. However, the real truth is, under deliberate policies, it almost can't be used as a reasonable development tool now (and probably won't be any better in a few years), except for certain specific use cases. Indeed, I particularly admire its exceptional talent in graphics.

Of course, I can connect it to my development cloud, where it's "almost omnipotent," but those capabilities should have been available locally on the iPad, not relying on various bizarre solutions. I've even seen people use another Mac as a remote host while the iPad merely serves as a terminal to access it. Seriously, Windows/Linux users must be snickering behind their hands.

Apple might have a thousand reasons why the iPad can't be like a Mac, and I agree with all those reasons, but please add just one more: Tim is worried you won't buy a Mac if you have an iPad. That would make me feel a bit better, otherwise, every time Apple promotes it as more than just a tablet, almost like it could be your second computer, I nearly forget.
Your comment about junk in your hands and exploring a woman was a bit too much over sharing thanks…

Patchwork

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
Near Preston, UK
Am I the only one who‘s more interested in a new Apple Pencil? Sure a better screen for the 11” would give me a reason to upgrade from my 2018 iPad Pro, but as a frequent pencil user I’m interested to see if Apple adds any functionality.

On the subject of running MacOS on an iPad I don’t think that is going to happen as that would impact Mac sales and Apple really want you to buy both (and iPhone, Apple Watch, AirPods etc.). Would proper multitasking on the iPad be good? Absolutely. Will Apple deliver anything more than an incremental improvement to iPadOS? On the basis of what they’ve done for the past few years across MacOS, iOS and iPadOS, no.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I’m an accountant: excel on Mac sucks and their own Numbers app is a joke for pro use. The iPad works as a perfect companion device for pro work for me.

I am a (Chartered) Accountant as well. Saying Excel on Mac sucks is a little strong. Now go back 10 years and your comment has more validity, but these days Excel for Mac is almost as good as the Windows version. Microsoft added multi threading support several years ago and I have no problem sharing complex spreadsheets at work with Windows users. That having being said the Windows version of Excel has a few features that the Mac version does not. The Mac version does not support windows specific technologies like Power BI or OLE, so if that is important to you then you need to stick to the Windows version. However I prefer Mac OS to Windows and these small negatives are insignificant to me compared to the benefits of Mac OS. You can tell the laptop PC users at work as they are ones that wander to meetings with their laptops open, as Macs have a much better sleep / instant on setup.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
But Apple didn‘t even manage to do the same.
Turns out building a fully autonomous car is lightyears harder than building a regular car. Tesla’s been trying to crack the fully autonomous, self-driving nut for over a decade and they still haven’t figured it out; just look at all the accident data they have been trying to cover up.
Apple was in talks with different car manufacturers, but all of them denied. Having Apple as a „partner“ is a pain and everyone knows that.
Chinese-market cronyism is vastly different from regular business partnerships.
Apple didn‘t even manage to sell an OS or silicon to car manufacturers and today, Apple is locked out of car business.

But look, who is in - Android!! In 2023 even BMW switched to Androids base AOSP for its infotainment system.

Apple completely failed in the car business.
Thats because Google will give them all the user data they want to further monetize.

Last edited:

Boing123

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2024
I'd love a lighter and kore responsive writing experience

This is odd: ever since the 10.5 inch iPad Pro, iPads and pencil have awarded extremely low latency inking experience.

Beats the pants of off all MS Surface, HP convertible and e-ink devices I have access to.

The biggest gripe with writing on iPad is probably the unnatural feel of the slippery pen tips on glass. E-ink devices are typically superior in that regard.

Reactions: alecgold

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
It cant be THAT expensive, they are competing with the Samsung Tab S9 that is 700 bucks, pricing the cheaper pro for 1500 would be shooting on the foot. Just stupid for a product that is on decline...
And continually increasing the price when they're already more expensive and are only adding features the competition has had for years isn't... well it's not something.

Reactions: ralph_sws
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.