Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
whatever happened to the microLEDs that were supposedly better than OLED?
Just that OLED technology has advanced so much comparably, with many ways you can implement those displays within other materials or that it can be flexible instead of rigid. MicroLEDs are the most expensive to produce comparably and are far less varied on the ways it can be used. Apple has been using mini-LED displays with IPad Pros and 14"/16" MBPs but I think everything is going OLED in the future. iPhones use OLED displays already.

Reactions: 73CortinaV8

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
All iPads need a bezel large enough for the physical lens cap:

View attachment 2374888
I think the lack of this feature/issue is massively underreported... many companies and privacy conscious individuals and parents looking after their kids appreciate something like this.

Especially when so many of our devices have cameras front and back these days.

Nothing beats a physical way to disable a camera or microphone.

tomchr9

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2024
whatever happened to the microLEDs that were supposedly better than OLED?
OLED technology is a better fit for Apple product life cycles. OLED technology is established. However, more importantly, OLEDs are cheaper and have a shorter lifespan ;) By postponing the introduction of microLED technology, Tim Cook has an "easy" product differentiation advantage to introduce down the road, when it is "economically viable".

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Will Cook finally realize that the AVP was DOA (Dead on Arrival)? And acknowledge that while Xiaomi could build a car, Apple has not achieved the same?

It seems it might be time for Tim to explore new directions and part ways with Apple.
Apple wanted to make a fully autonomous car, Xiaomi's car relies on regular meat-bags to do the driving, and Xiaomi isn't building a car, the Beijing Automotive Group who Xiaomi partnered with is.

Reactions: alecgold

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I don't watch these anymore - Tim will just irritate me, so I pass.
It will be up on the site and other sites about Apple, such as this, in no time.
I am up for an iPadAir soon, so that's what I'm interested in for now. Bought everything else I needed.

Reactions: kurtfoster

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
I agree. I think the rumours about them starting in the $1400-$1500 range could be factual though. I suspect the Pros base RAM could start at 16GB, and/or have higher base storage. You have one or both of those, plus new screens, plus camera now on the longer side, plus M4, plus exclusive new Apple Pencil use and that could, in the eyes of Apple, justify this price.
Hopefully, iPadOS 18 will justify the price as well.

sos47

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2016
If I could do it again, I'd get an Air nay base ipad instead of my pro

Though with the measle 64gb, it becomes a garder choice
me too. i downgraded from the 11“ IPP to the Mini. My main point is faceid which is only on the pros.
because you can hold an ipad in every direction touchid is a mess.
Face ID should be on all iPads

Soi Dog

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2015
Thailand
The iPad need furthermost an iPadOS that is much more inline with MacOS.

Everything else is just more nice gimmicks for a better Safari, YouTube, social media experience. Old iPads manage this very well. Until we get a real OS (not phone OS) on iPads and better software (Photoshop wink wink - Adobe said it was full featured at the demo before release). The iPad today is like using a sun station to play space invaders in the start of 80’s.

Marty80

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
Melbourne
I am a minimalist so I only use a iPhone pro max & a MacBook Pro.

I never really got into tablets. I used to have a iPad mini but I hate the idea having to lag around so many devices, that are similar to each other with the headaches of constantly charging.

Let’s get this event over and done with, and bring on the iPhones in all there glory.

X Cruz 187

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2011
Texas
I agree. I think the rumours about them starting in the $1400-$1500 range could be factual though. I suspect the Pros base RAM could start at 16GB, and/or have higher base storage. You have one or both of those, plus new screens, plus camera now on the longer side, plus M4, plus exclusive new Apple Pencil use and that could, in the eyes of Apple, justify this price.
I disagree base iMac and MacBook both have 8GB ram and 256 HD. Base iPad will still only have 128GB.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Slimming the bezels of an iPad is a exercise in futility. Hard Pass
Need at least some bezel for those of us who smartly use a rubberized case. Need at least some non-screen area to “grab.”

Any race to zero bezels is marketing battling against balanced design.

Reactions: tomchr9
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.