Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReflecTruth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
iu.jpeg

I'm curious what kind of things others plan to track. Here's my list so far.
  1. Keys (2)
  2. Dogs (2)
  3. Backpack
  4. Camera gear bag
  5. Sunglasses (not sure on this one; but I saw a case offered and I lose my glasses)

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
I ordered 8 AirTags so far:
  1. Keys (6)
  2. Backpack (1)
  3. Sunglasses (saw Nomad case as well, it is tempting, just not sure if I want to have to take AirTags out for pool/lake days)
---

Considering for next purchase (will have to make a separate Apple ID):
  1. Dogs (2)
  2. Chickens (14) - will engrave with "??"
  3. Cars (4)
  4. AppleTV Remote (2)
  5. Luggage (6-7)

Last edited:

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
We bought 4 for my wife and I. I'll put my first one on my primary car keys. Second one either on car keys for other car or in my briefcase. My wife will do car keys and purse.

Long term I could see myself doing golf bag and luggage. Possibly glasses if my eyesight starts to go on me.

ReflecTruth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
:
  1. Dogs (2)
  2. Chickens (14) - will engrave with "🐔💩"
  3. Cars (4)
  4. AppleTV Remote (2)
  5. Luggage (6-7)

2) Chickens????? Wow. Now, there's one that I never thought Id here being tracked. But it does make sense. Free range birds?

3) Cars: Assuming for finding it in a full parking lot? But you'd have to be within 30ish feet (bluetooth) and at that point I use my key fob to honk horn. OR am I missing your use case???

4) Remote: How will attach? I need to do this one too.

PhoenixDown

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Current Plans:
  • Add to Luggage
  • See if I can fit one of these under my snowboard bindings
  • Swap out the Tile in my work backpack for AirTag
  • House Keys and Car Key will keep their Tile for now
  • Kindle -- I'm always misplacing the darn thing

Reactions: hamburg040

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
2) Chickens????? Wow. Now, there's one that I never thought Id here being tracked. But it does make sense. Free range birds?

3) Cars: Assuming for finding it in a full parking lot? But you'd have to be within 30ish feet (bluetooth) and at that point I use my key fob to honk horn. OR am I missing your use case???

4) Remote: How will attach? I need to do this one too.
For the remote, I am hoping someone makes a case similar to the official Apple TV lighting string. It’s a lighting connector that “locks” in… I want a lighting to AirTag case. Shouldn’t be hard to make.

For car, I was mostly thinking theft protection. For everything else, I am getting AirTags for loss protection… but I feel like having a $29 tracker in car wouldn’t be worst way to find vehicle if ever stolen.

For chickens, my birds are free range. Sometimes I find a adventurous bird in a nearby neighborhood. I don’t know if I would want to invest that much money, but it is tempting since some of my show birds are worth a couple hundred dollars.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Not really losing it. It is more a matter of accidentally leaving it at work, which I don't want to have happen.
I was hoping you'd say something like that, and not that you wanted to monitor the location of your iPad (which is already Find My capable). I'm going to put one in a simple jacket that I usually use. I've misplaced it several times.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
So far my plans are:
  • Keys
  • Backpack
  • Jacket
  • Wife's Hydroflask
I'll have a 5th that I'll rotate around based on my needs at the time. As for suitcases, I don't travel often enough, even before pandemic times, to justify having them permanently attached. I'll repurpose other tags that I have when I do travel.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I bought a 4-pack; two for me and two for my wife.

Keys and a luggage tag for me (anticipating business travel to begin again towards summer time). Keys and purse for wife.

Will probably come up with other ideas eventually and can see buying more if they work well.

iLoveDeveloping

Suspended
Sep 24, 2009
Ireland
I was seriously going to buy a four pack for a few days and after think about it I went with two! One for my keys and one for my wallet. That really all I need.

HOWEVER, in summer I’m going to pop into an Apple store and pick up 2-3 more, it would be interesting to experiment with them. I would like to put on in my kids coats and see how it goes when they go to school or grandparents. See can I track them and if it usable. It mean as long as it come in range of my phone every 48 hours it won’t send out any alerts so in theory it should work! Will definitely pop one in my luggage when I get to go on holiday again too! Really interested to see how you can actually use them and if they will be useful at all. That’s why only 2 for now.

Bluetoot-

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2020
I do be thinking maybe my bag? I used to lose my keys religiously but that hasn't been much of an issue lately.

OR I'll tack them on to my AirPods case because I'm ALWAYS losing that. Which I could stick it on my hearing aid, tbh.

SayCheese

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2007
Oxfordshire, England
I went for a 4 pack. One each for my house keys and my car keys and one each for my wife's house keys and car keys.
About a month ago my house keys fell out of my pocket on a walk somewhere. Ended up having to get a locksmith out (the only other keys were inside the house) and have the lock changed. Could really have done with airtags then.

May well end up buying more though at a later date and putting one in the car in case of theft and one on my camera bag when I do more traveling post CoVid

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.