Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Now that I think more about it. If someone puts these in their luggage, are these things going to be beeping like crazy in an airplane while it thinks it's being used to anonymously track 100 strangers at 30,000 feet?
No because the owners will be in the same location as the tags.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I think it’s just more stuff to manage but got a 4 pack for my keys and rest for wife and kids stuff. 89 for 4 isn’t bad.

DarthBradicus

macrumors regular
May 13, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I got a 4-pack. One for keys, one for carry-on luggage, one for checked luggage. I’ll probably give the last one to my mom for her purse or something.

The luggage ones will be repurposed as needed (camera bag, coat, etc.).

futurist101

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
Los Angeles
1. Luggage

2. Car - The tracking option I can use currently via my iPhone does not have the pinpoint accuracy I'd like. It gives you a general idea of the location but I've spent 15-30 minutes searching for my car using the feature in a large parking structure. Hopefully the AirTags are more accurate. Can't wait to get them to try.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Bought a 4 pack. Two for me and the others for family members.

I'm going to use it for keys, and the other misc things.

DaveOZ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Man bag which holds my iPad, keys, wallet etc
Camera bag
Drone bag
Travel bag

I rarely lose or misplace my stuff so it's more for if they get stolen. I'll hide them inside the bags rather than on a tag.

klpribula93

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2021
I would buy 4 airtags.

1. Car Keys
2. Cochlear Implant remote
3. Cochlear Implant bilateral audio cord
4. Cochlear implant processor carrying box

I'm constantly losing my Cochlear Implant Remote and bilateral audio cord. I don't use my Cochlear implant remote often and when I do end up needing to use it to adjust my cochlear implant processor volume or change programs — I'm either forgetting where I put it or I literally can't find it. Same goes for my bilateral cords. I just got the AirPod Max which have been amazing for me. But I use my bilateral cord for when I workout or go running outside and I tend to forget where I placed it too. My cochlear implant remote costs $350 and my bilateral cord costs $200 plus tax. If I lose one of those (or both), that's basically almost $550. Obviously I wear my cochlear implants everyday, but when I travel I use a special carrying box to put my cochlear implants in for safety reasons. My cochlear implants processor alone cost $7,500 for both ears. Yikes.

I'm holding off of purchasing the airtags as I want to see how people will like them, or if they will run into any issues with the airtags. Instead, I just purchased Apple Watch band new pistachio solo braided loop and the pistachio iphone silicone case :) I thought getting those accessories in the pistachio color would be fun since they're not going to be around for long. And I always missed out on the new fun colors that apple are always coming out with! But I'm ultimately super excited about the airtags as they're Deaf friendly for me! I'm glad that apple had accessibility in mind with the airtags when they were producing them. I love how the phone can give you a visualization as to where the lost item is, and pinpoint you to help you locate it. I would have purchased Tile, but Tile goes off by sound and as a Deaf person, that's not easy for me because my cochlear implants have a hard time locating where the sounds are coming from, so airtags would definitely make things a lot easier for me when I'm locating 'said' item. So I'm interested in waiting and seeing how people like them, and if there are some bugs that might occur.

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
Two... One to track where my package of Airtags are... Then I wait... Presuming at some point, something will be built to allow events to happen when my phone gets close to specific airtags in the home... maybe it turns on lights, or music depending on time of day, etc.

Reactions: applesque

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
1. Luggage

2. Car - The tracking option I can use currently via my iPhone does not have the pinpoint accuracy I'd like. It gives you a general idea of the location but I've spent 15-30 minutes searching for my car using the feature in a large parking structure. Hopefully the AirTags are more accurate. Can't wait to get them to try.
Years ago we had fairly senior member of our Kiwanis Club, we congratulated him for being patriotic with his US Flag on his antenna, "patriotic hell, it's the only way I can find my car." Ordered one today for my car keys, I only have one for the MB SUV, at $400 a pop for a second key, this was far more economical. I will probably get on for the motorcycle (Avatar).

Reactions: ikjadoon

dasgo404

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2021
I am doing three sets of keys and my work bag.

Has anyone heard if things like the AirPods, new AppleTV remote, or other Apple devices will be compatible? I misplace that stuff in my house all the time and Airpods can only tell me things like there they were 12 hours ago. It isn't very helpful and this sounds like a much better solution.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I ordered a 4 pack, I may give one to the wife, and I'll use one for my keys. I'd love to use one for my wallet as I'm constantly losing that, but sadly, I don't think its designed for that. Its a bit thicker then a tile and I don't think its made to take the pressure of being sat on.

ShermMcCoy

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2013
Looks cool but I can’t think of any significant use case for me. Received a tile as a gift and in the 2yrs it’s been on my keys I’ve never used it. Not that I don’t misplace them - I misplace everything - but i can usually find them in 5m?

If they were super thin I would probably do wallet and my work ID, but they look too thick for wallet and I will quit before I become work lanyard guy.

AirPods Pro is an interesting idea, but I’m usually looking for one of the ears, not the case. Hopefully they will bring elements of this tech to the next Pros, bc the Find My is extremely hit or miss for me.

LeadingHeat

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2015
I ordered 8 AirTags so far:
  1. Keys (6)
  2. Backpack (1)
  3. Sunglasses (saw Nomad case as well, it is tempting, just not sure if I want to have to take AirTags out for pool/lake days)
They’re ip67 rated for water resistance though! So a meter under water for 30 minutes. That should survive a dunk or two by the pool!

Reactions: countryside

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2013
I have never had trouble losing stuff, but perhaps I'd just buy one to attach to my backpack (I have the habit to always go around with a backpack, similarly to how women carry purses around) just for the piece of mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.