Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I have 3. (1) on my keychain with overpriced car key (2) on my friend’s dog because she has an android and is paranoid so the dog wears a Samsung Tag+ and Airtag (3) on our 3 wheeled Arcimoto so if someone borrows it I know where it’s at as peeps don’t answer their cells

Reactions: lostPod

philstubbington

macrumors 6502a
Nothing. They’re completely pointless for me.
A few months on, I've changed my mind - tracking luggage stuck in an airport ;)

The airline lost one piece of luggage (took some doing - it's a tandem bicycle so nearly 2m long) on the outbound, and 3 suitcases on the return leg.

At least with an AirTag in each bag we'd have some idea (hopefully) where they'd got to!

JahBoolean

Suspended
Jul 14, 2021
Keys / wallet, I could not care less about tracking.

Making them ring saves me copious amounts of time whenever I misplace them.

heath_durbin

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2015
I’m disappointed that we don’t have more flexibility with the AirTag El settings and that it can be slow to alert you.

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
I bought an Airtag to figure out what works well, and what doesn't. I knew the Airtags aren't designed for real-time tracking. I did think that the Airtag would be good at locating stationary objects within 100-300 feet like some other devices. This is not true. I found with Airtags you have to be within 30 feet if there are no obstructions, and within 15 feet if there are walls in the way.

I came to 2 conclusions after some testing:
1) The airtag is good at finding an item and leading you to the building/area it is in.
2) Once you are at the building that your location is in, you have to search room to room to find your item.
- If outside (like a wooded area), you have to walk around a lot and pass within 15-20 feet of the item.

This limits the uses that I have for an Airtag. I had planned to buy another 4-pack, but won't at this time.

For me, I could see using an Airtag in the following ways:
- Bike
- Camera Bag
- Luggage

I know folks have other uses (kids, keys, etc.), but the 15-30 foot bluetooth/W1 range limits the times I find the Airtag useful.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I did think that the Airtag would be good at locating stationary objects within 100-300 feet like some other devices. This is not true. I found with Airtags you have to be within 30 feet if there are no obstructions, and within 15 feet if there are walls in the way.

While I don't dispute your experience in realtime finding, my experience is that that the airtag I have in my bike in my garage is regularly seen by iphones possessed by people driving past the end of the driveway ~100ft away when I'm away.

Should that bike perhaps end up somewhere else, the "last-seen" location would thus get me to the approximate vicinity where I could then perform a more active search.

Regarding luggage - the same "last seen" information served me well in knowing that my wife's and my checked bags were where they were supposed to be when we recently flew.

Just food for thought, do what you find appropriate for your situation.

Reactions: dmccombs

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I bought an Airtag to figure out what works well, and what doesn't. I knew the Airtags aren't designed for real-time tracking. I did think that the Airtag would be good at locating stationary objects within 100-300 feet like some other devices. This is not true. I found with Airtags you have to be within 30 feet if there are no obstructions, and within 15 feet if there are walls in the way.

I came to 2 conclusions after some testing:
1) The airtag is good at finding an item and leading you to the building/area it is in.
2) Once you are at the building that your location is in, you have to search room to room to find your item.
- If outside (like a wooded area), you have to walk around a lot and pass within 15-20 feet of the item.

This limits the uses that I have for an Airtag. I had planned to buy another 4-pack, but won't at this time.

For me, I could see using an Airtag in the following ways:
- Bike
- Camera Bag
- Luggage

I know folks have other uses (kids, keys, etc.), but the 15-30 foot bluetooth/W1 range limits the times I find the Airtag useful.

What model of iPhone or what iOS device were you using to track? This could be relevant

Peoples opinions are helpful but sometimes can be misleading. For example if you were using an iPhone 8 or something old maybe it wouldn’t be tracking as well.

I take opinions with a grain of salt always

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
What model of iPhone or what iOS device were you using to track? This could be relevant

Peoples opinions are helpful but sometimes can be misleading. For example if you were using an iPhone 8 or something old maybe it wouldn’t be tracking as well.

I take opinions with a grain of salt always
I have an iphone 13 Pro Max.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Me:
  • Car
  • Keys
  • Wallet

Wife:
  • Car
  • Keys
We are due to fly to America this year so I’m going to get another two AirTags for our luggage.

I’m always losing my wallet so it’ that AirTag has become the most useful of them all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.