Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
4 sets of vehicle keys for now as a trial. I bought knockoff key holders off Amazon for $20 for 4 - they are solid and better than $50 for one Belkin case.

The silver back on the tag scratches very easily though and is very noticeable. Maybe it should have been all ceramic coating.
Ceramic would have been more expensive. It's only cosmetic.

Reactions: TVreporter

JuiceDanger

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2021
Bought 16. Power Tools, Battery's, Ladders. Purchased some Chipolo tags to see if I can push it past 16. Already recovered two ladders that are tagged, lost a battery that wasn't tagged.

Bobout

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2017
Apple Valley
All of the families backpacks have one ..my daughter takes the bus to school she is in the 1st grade and nice to know she gets to school safe and in class, the teacher must have an iphone as it shows her in class room everyday like it should.

JuiceDanger

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2021
Just fyi bought some Chipolo tags to see if I could add it as a 17th item. Nope. Bit of a bad UI design to allow you to go through the connection process then tell you "lol no" at the final pairing stage.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Now that I think more about it. If someone puts these in their luggage, are these things going to be beeping like crazy in an airplane while it thinks it's being used to anonymously track 100 strangers at 30,000 feet?
It would have to be a very long flight and the other passengers would have to be within bluetooth range of the tag(s) - and the owner can't be within range. (likely they'll get up to go to the washroom within a 8hr+ flight, and come within range of their airtags in the cargo hold below).

Presumably, Apple's built that logic into FindMy to account for mass transit scenarios.

1CaesaR1

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2020
All of the families backpacks have one ..my daughter takes the bus to school she is in the 1st grade and nice to know she gets to school safe and in class, the teacher must have an iphone as it shows her in class room everyday like it should.

I am thinking of doing the same thing. I was worried that the AirTag will warn/distract the teacher as I saw one some places people being worried about it. I am assuming that the AirTag only warns if it is "moving" with the person and my kid going to specials/library with the teacher doesn't count.

Reactions: Bobout

Bobout

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2017
Apple Valley
I am thinking of doing the same thing. I was worried that the AirTag will warn/distract the teacher as I saw one some places people being worried about it. I am assuming that the AirTag only warns if it is "moving" with the person and my kid going to specials/library with the teacher doesn't count.
Her teacher has not said anything about it, my daughter basically goes from the bus to the classroom and it doesn’t move until after school when she lines up to come home.. it doesn’t work coming home on the bus bc it seems nobody has an iPhone riding with her home but at least I know when she makes it and leaves and can time it to pick her up at the school bus stop

Reactions: fischersd

mmomega

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
wifes keys, my car keys, truck keys, rv keys, no child tracking, small camera bag, haven't had a purpose for anything larger, i might put one on my flashlight because i can never find that thing when i need it.

feels strange i have to spend money because my family has been hiding my stuff for the last 2-3 decades. talk about people making you lose your mind, that'll do it.

Pman17

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Galveston, TX
Finally got the Chipolos last month. I put one on my dog, come to find that you can't share AirTags with your spouse. Bought an AirTag for my credentials book that I take to work, very handy if I ever forget them, but it would be nice to to integrate this into Shortcuts so I can be more specific with my location because I'm not forgetting them if I'm not working.

1CaesaR1

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2020
Her teacher has not said anything about it, my daughter basically goes from the bus to the classroom and it doesn’t move until after school when she lines up to come home.. it doesn’t work coming home on the bus bc it seems nobody has an iPhone riding with her home but at least I know when she makes it and leaves and can time it to pick her up at the school bus stop

Thanks. Do you know how long the AirTag has to be away from my phone for it to beep? My kids get on the bus around 8:25 AM and get home by 4:25 PM - so about 8 hours minimum, and bus delays can make it up to 9 hours.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Thanks. Do you know how long the AirTag has to be away from my phone for it to beep? My kids get on the bus around 8:25 AM and get home by 4:25 PM - so about 8 hours minimum, and bus delays can make it up to 9 hours.
Neither the duration nor the algorithms that Apple is using for their privacy protection for these has been published (for obvious reasons). They're trying to prevent them from being used for people tracking while still dealing with everyday usage scenarios. That the airtag isn't moving with your child's teacher's iPhone should be sufficient for Apple to decide it isn't worthy of an "Airtag is with you" notification.

Reactions: 1CaesaR1

Bobout

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2017
Apple Valley
We turned off left behind notification for her but its less than a 1/4 mile as I had left my backpack at my mother in laws house and it told me before I made it around the corner it was left behind. hopefully you have iPhones on the bus and the school it works good for us at the school and like I said sometimes on the bus if she happens to catch an iPhone as she is riding on the bus.

Reactions: 1CaesaR1

1CaesaR1

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2020
We turned off left behind notification for her but its less than a 1/4 mile as I had left my backpack at my mother in laws house and it told me before I made it around the corner it was left behind. hopefully you have iPhones on the bus and the school it works good for us at the school and like I said sometimes on the bus if she happens to catch an iPhone as she is riding on the bus.
Thanks for the additional info. Yes I am hoping it works well. When I went to the "back to school night", all I saw that most teachers had iPhones. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Bobout

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I am doing a two month long photo project in Iceland using medium format film so I shipped about $3000 worth via Fedex ahead of me to the location and tracked it perfectly, 100X better than regular tracking. I also put one in each check in and carry on bag and again, they worked great, especially when my last leg got canceled last night due to bad weather.

I’m sold, these things are brilliant!

Reactions: davenet

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
View attachment 1762790

I'm curious what kind of things others plan to track. Here's my list so far.
  1. Keys (2)
  2. Dogs (2)
  3. Backpack
  4. Camera gear bag
  5. Sunglasses (not sure on this one; but I saw a case offered and I lose my glasses)
Interesting question. When Air Tags first came out, I wondered what I could use them for.

My answer? NOTHING.

I don't tend to lose things nor do I have any interest in tracking something that isn't lost. So, I can't think of a reason at all why I would need this product. I really did try to think through scenarios where I might use it (because, honestly, I was curious about having 1 Air Tag). But no dice :(

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Isn't there a chance it will start beeping if it's moving away from your iPhone for anywhere from 8-24 hours? What if you were gone one day and your partner got her ready for school?

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I stopped at my bank yesterday on the way home from work... parked my car in the parking lot and left my backpack in the car. I wasn't more than 25 yards away from my car at any time, but noticed the "you left your backpack behind" alert... as far as I can recall, that's the first time I've seen that.

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
Interesting question. When Air Tags first came out, I wondered what I could use them for.

My answer? NOTHING.

I don't tend to lose things nor do I have any interest in tracking something that isn't lost. So, I can't think of a reason at all why I would need this product. I really did try to think through scenarios where I might use it (because, honestly, I was curious about having 1 Air Tag). But no dice :(

Stuff doesn't happen...until it does. :)

I'm also pretty good at corralling my stuff but I lost my keys once. (Luckily someone turned them into security at my job.) So having an Air Tag on my keychain is a relief. Same with my bag. I hope Apple fine tunes the Left Behind features so we can adjust them to our particular circumstances. Like 25 feet with no delay for may keys and a longer delay for my bag.

Andrewonthebeach

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2020
I ordered a 4 pack but to be honest, all 4 of them are still sitting on my shelf. I thought about one for my cat but he's too small at the moment. I never lose my keys or my remotes (they have a spot). Maybe when this pandemic has finished, my backpack or maybe my car... would love to hear of some more interesting uses.

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
I ordered a 4 pack but to be honest, all 4 of them are still sitting on my shelf. I thought about one for my cat but he's too small at the moment. I never lose my keys or my remotes (they have a spot). Maybe when this pandemic has finished, my backpack or maybe my car... would love to hear of some more interesting uses.
I'd start with your keys, at least. You never lose something until you do. :)

Reactions: davenet
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.