Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WeatherWeasel

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2019
Des Moines, Iowa
Sometimes my wallet will slide out of my pants pocket when I am in the , well you know where, and Ihave notice it and paniced. So one is in there. Oddly of all the tags i have it is the only one with a slightly lower battery. I also have one on the dog leash, wife purse, my keys and the TV control. I have an extra and would love to drop it in my kids boyfriends car, but probably won't.

JuiceDanger

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2021
In the past two weeks I've used airtags to locate two different ladders on a 12 story construction site.

Both times some one has moved the ladder far from its original location and I was able to locate it under 20 minutes.

Before air tags it took 4 people 2 days to find 1 of 2 missing ladders, the 2nd never found.

davenet

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2004
San Luis Obispo, CA
I bought a 4 pack. So far I have put one on my main key ring for my daily driver, and one in my luggage I put on the airplane when traveling. I have some camera gear, so the others may end up there or I might gift one too.

AdrianaG

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
Wow, that's a use case I didn't think of. I've definitely had an "oh crap what does my rental car look like" moment before at the beginning of a trip.
My son lives in a sketchy neighborhood, will it allow him to locate his stolen truck?

ach

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
My son lives in a sketchy neighborhood, will it allow him to locate his stolen truck?
Yes, if the stolen truck is around other iPhones. It may not work in rural areas with low population density.
I've turned off my phone, then drove and parked the car in Boston. Then left and when I go home, I turned it on and it was able to provide a location better than the car's locator (BMW.)

I've used it when I checked in my luggage, I was able to track it until it was loaded in the aircraft. The next update was when it was unloaded, the final was as it was loaded on the conveyer, and down the pickup.

If you look at the latest AirTag news, thieves at attaching the AirTag on expensive cars so they can track the car to the house. Then they steal the car. (When it is left outside.)

What would really be stupid if the thief has an iPhone.

ach

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
BTW, I really like Find My with this, it reminds me if I forgot the item when I leave the hotel, enough to make me turn around to get it. Yesterday, I used it to double check as I got off the airplane to make sure I did not leave something behind.

For the cost and no recurring cost, it is worth it. It was a good deal on Black Friday with $25 Apple gift card for 4.

ach

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
In the past two weeks I've used airtags to locate two different ladders on a 12 story construction site.

Both times some one has moved the ladder far from its original location and I was able to locate it under 20 minutes.

Before air tags it took 4 people 2 days to find 1 of 2 missing ladders, the 2nd never found.
Need to attach it some how that no one can see or remove it. If they can find it, it is useless for that purpose. When I worked in construction, I am amazed how much, especially ladders, are stolen. I've seen other steal my companies, and then they painted over our company's name. We the "stole" it back.

elvisimprsntr

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2013
Florida
My generator during hurricane season power outage.

100155-refurbished-dual-fuel-generator.jpg

RealPhone

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2012
An AirTag in each of my Arc'teryx Alpha SV jackets.

Car key and house key.

Last edited:

CarbonCycles

macrumors regular
May 15, 2014
Not sure if it was said before, but Tim's building a community where robots control the world. They introduced these air tags to keep track of us...like cattle with their RF Id tags.

Yes, you have now literally become the commodity...congrats!

• Haha
Reactions: cwosigns

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
Not sure if it was said before, but Tim's building a community where robots control the world. They introduced these air tags to keep track of us...like cattle with their RF Id tags.

Yes, you have now literally become the commodity...congrats!
Oh good grief!

Do you have a cell phone? If you do then you're being tracked.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
I put an AirTag on my keys, even though I never lose them. But yesterday before heading to the DMV to renew my DL and car tags, I stopped at the mailroom. In my haste, I left them in my mailbox door. I walked all the way to the parking garage and realized my keys weren't in my pocket. I quickly pulled up Find My just to see if they had pinged. It showed them in the mailroom.

They weren't lost, per se, but was nice to know exactly where I had left them.

Reactions: Javabird and GlenK

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
Pfft...cellphones are way too obvious and so passé. AirTags really accentuate the the vivid image of RfID ear tags used on cattle.
Sounds a bit paranoid to me. Either way, we're being "tracked". (As if anyone but my loved ones would want to know my location.)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Sounds a bit paranoid to me. Either way, we're being "tracked".
The irony that you’re telling somebody else that they’re a bit paranoid, yet, you’re concerned that we’re being ‘tracked’ on our smart phones. And I don’t mean this to be dismissive, however; you probably shouldn’t go out in public either, because you’re being filmed everywhere on public and private property with cameras.

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
The irony that you’re telling somebody else that they’re a bit paranoid, yet, you’re concerned that we’re being ‘tracked’ on our smart phones. And I don’t mean this to be dismissive, however; you probably shouldn’t go out in public either, because you’re being filmed everywhere on public and private property with cameras.

I never said I was concerned about being tracked. I'm not. In my job at a hospital we were on camera everywhere but in the patient and procedure rooms. And we had to use key cards to get into certain areas. So I just got used to being "tracked".
The NYC police are trying to set up a system where they can get feeds from private cameras like the ones outside (or inside) stores. So it'll be like London.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.