Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
One of the things I will be tracking with the AirTags is brevity. Sometimes, it escapes me. Other times, I seem to find it right away although that hasn't happened recently. I don't know if that is due to allergies, the weather, Apple stock prices, or the latest MR rumor. Hopefully, I can start tracking next weekend and me and brevity will become better acquainted. It's not like we aren't old friends already but, when you spend some time apart, you can forget subtle nuances about the other party.

eMacKilla

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2020
Now that I think more about it. If someone puts these in their luggage, are these things going to be beeping like crazy in an airplane while it thinks it's being used to anonymously track 100 strangers at 30,000 feet?
Good point. Imagine somebody put it in their bag and TSA hears this beeping thing from inside the luggage

Reactions: Ghost31

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
If they were super thin I would probably do wallet and my work ID, but they look too thick for wallet and I will quit before I become work lanyard guy.
I used to say that too. Then I got a job that requires security clearance. Everyone in our office is required to do the lanyard thing because your badge indicates what level security clearance you have. They specifically say wearing it on your hip is not allowed. I’ve gotten used to it at this point.

DocMultimedia

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2012
Charlottesville, VA
I got one just to see what I think, but I really don't know what I plan to track. I haven't misplaced/lost anything in decades. I occasionally leave my credit card at my favorite drinking establishment, so maybe find a way to attach it to my credit card. Hmm.

trigf

Suspended
Jun 16, 2009
Dogs, even though it's not recommended to use them as trackers. There are a billion Apple devices out there, I'm sure the Find My network will be able to track my dog if they are lost or stolen.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
  • Backpack
  • Luggage bags
  • Car (hidden in the rear bumper)
  • Motorcycle (hidden in fairing)

While I'm not sure how useful it will be thanks to Apple's feature to prevent stalking I figure for $25 it's really not costing me much for potentially recovering my vehicle if it were ever stolen. I might put a foil shield between the tag and the driver so it's only being picked up by passing motorists or pedestrians.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Now that I think more about it. If someone puts these in their luggage, are these things going to be beeping like crazy in an airplane while it thinks it's being used to anonymously track 100 strangers at 30,000 feet?
I was thinking the same thing, especially if you weren't close to the bag. I'm sure Apple will have thought of this, like if the phone detects a certain altitude/velocity combination it would ignore alerting everyone.

sixtydashone

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2020
  • Backpack
  • Luggage bags
  • Car (hidden in the rear bumper)
  • Motorcycle (hidden in fairing)

While I'm not sure how useful it will be thanks to Apple's feature to prevent stalking I figure for $25 it's really not costing me much for potentially recovering my vehicle if it were ever stolen. I might put a foil shield between the tag and the driver so it's only being picked up by passing motorists or pedestrians.
I'm thinking car keys, motorcycle key, backpack, and maybe lock one up under my motorcycle seat as you need a hex wrench to take the seat off my bike. I do wonder though what kind of conditions these things can withstand. We get triple digit heat in the summer, and the bike itself soaks up the heat if it's sitting out in the sun, not to mention the heat radiated from the engine. I don't know how long the air tag would survive but I might find out.

Reactions: SBlue1

jessejesse

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2017
I'm curious to see if any people here had Tiles. I genuinely can't see why I'd "need" one of these, even if they're neat. I'm a major apple consumer, but I didn't need to track my things before. I'm not sure I've lost anything significant since I lost my orthotics when I was at camp, 30 years ago lol.

Forgive me for being curious, I'm a therapist, I can't help myself :) But I'm just wondering if this is another case of companies saying "you need a doorbell camera because things aren't safe". Personally, I feel more uncomfortable with the idea of making my valuables trackable, regardless of how secure it is.

On the other hand, I got my wife an Apple Watch JUST so she could track her phone, which she misplaces EVERY DAY. So maybe there is a good use for this lol.

Reactions: nekron99

markeknows

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2009
Nobody have mentioned Bikes. I’m planning to attach 2 tags to my bikes place them under the seat and wish the thief is dumb enough to not check. Also planning to put one on my son’s backpack as well.
The peace of mind for bikes will be brilliant. How many thieves look under a saddle, too stoned. That’s where I’ll fix mine. So often bike thieves have a collection at home awaiting selling, so this could reunite lots of other people with their bikes, if they’ve registered with their local scheme

Reactions: Juuro

kart1907

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2021
Lithia, FL
My 8 year old child goes out for playing to the near by ground or to his friend's home. If anyone near by has iphone or apple watch, then I am anticipating that I can find where my kid is playing. Is it feasible? He is defintely going to to be near some one with Apple watch and / or iPhone.

Reactions: Tom Schrier

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I ordered one. I don't hang onto a lot of stuff, so I am tracking a single car key with it. I don't have house keys as I use Apple HomeKit and most of the time I just enter through the garage door anyway, even on days I take public transit, I just use the HomeKit widget in Control center to power open the garage door.

I ordered a blue leather key ring, and a single AirTag from Apple. I am tempted to buy a BMW as my next car so I can just use Apple Wallet keys, my current car has an app, but you still need the key to actually be able to drive off.

Maybe someone will come out with an Apple Wallet thats physical, or Apple can somehow embed an AirTag into Apple Card.

Reactions: Bdubbs

childu

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
View attachment 1762790

I'm curious what kind of things others plan to track. Here's my list so far.
  1. Keys (2)
  2. Dogs (2)
  3. Backpack
  4. Camera gear bag
  5. Sunglasses (not sure on this one; but I saw a case offered and I lose my glasses)
Nowhere
1) i don’t lose things around
2) if they’re stolen I don’t want to go after criminals and put myself in a potentially fatal danger. Police won’t care if I go to them to retrieve things with low value. Even if I retrieve the keys I should change my lock anyway because they could’ve cloned the keys.
3) no electromagnetic pollution that can’t be turned off

Reactions: 2REPOU

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2015
Good point. Imagine somebody put it in their bag and TSA hears this beeping thing from inside the luggage
Apple could disable this feature at Airports.

So the TSA is not calling the bomb unit thinking there is bomb in there.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
I'd love one for my wallet...but I feel like it would make it too bulky.

Has anyone announced a wallet with AirTags capability?

augustrushrox

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2015
I'd love one for my wallet...but I feel like it would make it too bulky.

Has anyone announced a wallet with AirTags capability?
Not that I’m aware of, but that will probably happen very soon. What I’m more interested though is the prospect of UWB wallet cards. So that if I accidentally leave a singular card at a restaurant/store/etc (like credit card for payment or ID at a bar) I will be able to find it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.