Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scotttnz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I have ordered a 4 pack. They will be going on the 4 family members house keys, given that 2 of them have lost their keys in the last year. The oldest child has switched to Android, so it remains to be seen if it is any practical use for her keys.
I could definitely see me buying more for the car, everyday backpack, camera bags, and wallet once I’ve had a play and seen how they work in real life.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Keys, luggage (once I resume travel), and probably my wallet. Leaving me with one left.

I’m tempted to put the 4th one on my stethoscope. Without even thinking about it, it ends up in a different spot every day when I get home and without fail…I’m turning the house upside down the next morning to find it before I leave ?

Reactions: Glacier1

Johnny907

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2014
How are people losing their backpacks/bags enough that they need a tracking tag?
I honestly can’t think of one time in my life where I lost my computer bag, messenger bag or backpack, so what am I doing differently and how can I make money off my foolproof system?

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
I’m tempted to put the 4th one on my stethoscope. Without even thinking about it, it ends up in a different spot every day when I get home and without fail…I’m turning the house upside down the next morning to find it before I leave ?
From one healthcare provider to (I assume) another, I’ve got to ask...why would you be carrying your stethoscope around your house when you get home? Why not leave it in your car or work bag?

29 bucks saved!

Someirishguy

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2016
4 pack arriving on day one:

1: keys (I say “where are my keys” from time to time, now I can say “hay Siri, where are my keys” and one of my HomePods will ping then)

2: office bag (never lost or misplaced before, but I like the idea that if I ever did, it usually has my computer in it, I could find it easier)

3: field bad (left in the boot of my car a couple times, while I was inside scratching my head, and I do put it down in the field to get out my binoculars etc - so convincingly could leave it some place)

4: wife’s purse (has been left upstairs a few times instead of in her bag - ping!!)

JWD

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2012
I want to track my minimalist wallet, looks like I need a AirTags 2/Slim version. I also loose my Apple TV 4K remote... between these and the new iMacs Apple
Is killing it this year...

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Put one in your wallet. While you usually don’t lose your wallet it’s for that one time that you misplace it. It has the potential to save a lot of aggravation

Reactions: Fancler

minvoyager

macrumors member
May 16, 2014
It's been pointed out that Airtags cannot effectively be used to track a STOLEN item. That's because it is analogous to a person being warned that an Airtag is being used to track them, except in the theft situation, it's not tracking the thief, but rather the Airtag is in the item that has been stolen. Hence. in the same way that a person can disable an Airtag that is tracking them, the thief can disable an Airtag on a stolen item to prevent it from tracking the thief.

The problem is that the ability to disable an Airtag cuts both ways - it prevents someone tracking you, and it prevents tracking a thief.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I was hoping you'd say something like that, and not that you wanted to monitor the location of your iPad (which is already Find My capable). I'm going to put one in a simple jacket that I usually use. I've misplaced it several times.
Does Find My work on an iPad the same way that it does on AirTag, tho? If the iPad is connected to wifi, I know it’ll show up in the map. But what if there’s no wifi? Will it use other people’s iPhones the same way AirTag does?

Reactions: Ghost31

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Does Find My work on an iPad the same way that it does on AirTag, tho? If the iPad is connected to wifi, I know it’ll show up in the map. But what if there’s no wifi? Will it use other people’s iPhones the same way AirTag does?
That’s my question as well. I think I remember a keynote along time ago where they talked about this and how it works the same way

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2015
Why do people think that this is a real time tracker with GPS and cellular? It’s a precision tracking device without networking capability nor GPS which broadcasts a Bluetooth and then UWB signal for tracking items in relative proximity. The bonus is that if another iOS device running iOS 13 or above is in proximity, it will also record the location of your lost item but it’s still not a real time GPS tracker.

I bought a pack of 4 and I’m giving one or two to my family members. I may put one in the car and see if it helps locate the car in a busy car park, another … I’m not sure, since I don’t bring keys now having changed to digital locks at home.

I don't know it seems some people here believe it has GPS and cellular and you can track it on Apple maps.

Reactions: Tumbleweed666

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
1. Luggage

2. Car - The tracking option I can use currently via my iPhone does not have the pinpoint accuracy I'd like. It gives you a general idea of the location but I've spent 15-30 minutes searching for my car using the feature in a large parking structure. Hopefully the AirTags are more accurate. Can't wait to get them to try.
That's the best use of these for a car I've seen so far, so many people think these are GPS trackers.
I've bought a pack of 4 though only "need" 3 so may experiment with one in the car. Only thought, will a car act as a faraday cage and stop the signal getting out, or greatly diminish it ?

Reactions: TheOldChevy

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
If you hid one in your car, in case of theft, presumably the thief would get the stalker notification after a short time. Actually, wouldn’t this be the case for any stolen item you tagged, assuming they have an iPhone?
Yep. Really the anti stalking feature means this is not so much for stolen items as lost, and also help prevent you leaving items behind and thus prevent losing them in the first place.
At least I hope they have this function.

abhibeckert

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Cairns, Australia
will this work as to leave in the car? Or will it go off if somebody steals the car who has an iPhone? Lol

They are useless to protect against theft.

1. They can just take the battery out.

2. You can't hide it, because they will be alerted with audible beeps to protect their privacy and encourage them to scan the tag and contact the owner. Works on Android too.

3. They can reset the tag and use it to track their own stuff.

Reactions: TheOldChevy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.