Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arohex

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2018
Got one for my cat but not too sure how well it will work with the anti stalking beeping. I’ll move it to my work keys if I have to.

ACDeag

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
UK
They are useless to protect against theft.

1. They can just take the battery out.

2. You can't hide it, because they will be alerted with audible beeps to protect their privacy and encourage them to scan the tag and contact the owner. Works on Android too.

3. They can reset the tag and use it to track their own stuff.
They can’t be reset except by the owner of them, they are no use to a thief

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
Now that I think more about it. If someone puts these in their luggage, are these things going to be beeping like crazy in an airplane while it thinks it's being used to anonymously track 100 strangers at 30,000 feet?
If you check in the luggage it will start beeping and security will think its maby something else beeping ?

Reactions: darkslide29

TheOldChevy

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Switzerland
(2) Keys
(1) Wallet
(2) For a pair of gym socks so I can track the missing one down after the clothes dryer
(1) My A$$ - I apparently lost it when I purchased my 2019 Mac Pro!
I don't understand the socks thing. How do you plan to do that ? You want to have it in the socks ? And in the dryer ?

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2002
Nobody have mentioned Bikes. I’m planning to attach 2 tags to my bikes place them under the seat and wish the thief is dumb enough to not check. Also planning to put one on my son’s backpack as well.
If this works, my plan is to buy two for my e-bike:

1) The first one will go under the seat.

2) I will disable the sound (destroying whatever component that makes it) of the second one and put it below the plastic cover of the motor compartment.

I hope that the thief then finds and removes the first one and thinks the ongoing notification is just a bug. It will also not make any noise, so should not be detectable.

Reactions: Arty Tales

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Oh you know what would be a good idea? If they made an Airpods case with an insert for the Airtag. I can see an entire third party accessory marketplace come from this.

Yes I know you can already kinda track your airpods, but it’s not as good as airtag.
Airtags are better because the tracking only works for airpods if you loose the airpods outside of your case. If you loose them inside the case you're out of luck.

Also other devices like macbooks, can only be tracked if the lid is open and it's connected from the internet. Once the lid is closed/ goes to sleep. Believe it or not my kids manged to wedge one of our macbooks down the back of a radiator in our house. It stayed missing until the next day.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2018
I will attach one to my inner child so that I never lose touch with myself again.

jk, I'll put one up my butt and so that I always know how long it's been since I last took a dump. My days of being irregular are officially over.

Thanks, Apple!

Reactions: TVreporter

MarioPhone96

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2017
New York
I’d like to try attaching one with my AirPods. I’ve misplaced them quite a few times. In case I ever do lose them I could track them... FindMy is not accurate. My partner lost his AirPods last summer when we went jogging at a nearby park and FindMy was saying they were in a weird location away from the track. He found them eventually... at home. Anyway, I just need to buy a little case with a keychain holder and vóila!

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
Put one into my car, help me find where its parked
Put one of my child when we are at the mall or public place
Keys
Backpack/Workbrief

Frantisekj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2017
Deep inside Europe :-)
? My ass ?
But I understand that I could keep Airtag in pocket or backpack and it will ring when I get too far from phone, co it could remind me I forgot phone home. That would be welcome. Just happened yesterday ?

• Haha
Reactions: 123

SebastianRocker

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2021
Deutschland
View attachment 1762790

I'm curious what kind of things others plan to track. Here's my list so far.
  1. Keys (2)
  2. Dogs (2)
  3. Backpack
  4. Camera gear bag
  5. Sunglasses (not sure on this one; but I saw a case offered and I lose my glasses)
Hello everyone! I ordered eight add tax to follow:

3 wallets
2 keys
2 bikes
1 bike trailer

It’s interesting to read what your ideas are – thanks for the thread!

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
I bought a pack of 8 for my wife...I'm such a good catch and wonderful husband to her...

1. For her Hoover
2. For her Iron
3. For her Washing Machine
4. For her Washing Line
5. For her Purse (also for when Take away is delivered)
6. For her DishWasher
7. For her Handbag
8. For her Lawnmower (it's actually mine, but I let her use it)

I know she has more items, and will probably buy more...

it's overwhelming how many Air Tags she needs so she knows where everything is ?. . .

????

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2012
Maybe this exists already but I’m surprised I haven’t seen an AirPods case with a little slot for a air tag yet.

STC1709

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
I dont get how people lose their keys. I guess some dont pay attention to what their doing. Id put these on my cat, dog, child, wife, inside daughters car

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.