Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Same. Keys in pocket when leaving house. Keys in basket by front door when home.
No house keys. Keypads at front door.
Same here. That’s why i find the whole airtag thing odd. Are people really loosing so many thing daily? So much so they need to buy 4 airtags?

As an example. My car keys are either in my pocket, in the car or near the front door. My wallet is in my bag. My bag is in my house, being worn or at my desk at work.

To me personally, it seems a bit pointless and kind of encourages people to be even less sloppy about where they put things.

Positive is the design is very much an Apple design and superbly thought out. Brilliant design.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Same here. That’s why i find the whole airtag thing odd. Are people really loosing so many thing daily? So much so they need to buy 4 airtags?
I think people may only need one or two, but then maybe for a partner or son/daughter? For me, it was a no brainer, give one to my wife, use at least one. I can then hand out one each for my kids or use the other two for different purposes

michaelb5000

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
I bought one, not sure how i will use it. I may get a carabiner clip so i can move it. But i may use it on my kayak or my kayak trailer since together they are expensive and easy to drive off with and likely to end up parked somewhere out in the open.

GDMcG

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
I purchased a 4 pack - for now I am looking at attaching to keys, work ID lanyard and my wallet. Since I have a Bellroy leather zip wallet (https://bellroy.com/products/card-pocket/leather_default/racing_green#slide-0) will be very easy to attach an AirTag to the existing zipper lanyard using one of the existing AirTag lanyards. No need to try to shove into wallet somehow or purchase a custom wallet that holds the AirTag. Oh, and one to attach to my AppleTV remote which is in an Elago silicone case (https://www.elago.com/apple-tv/intelli-case-black) and has a lanyard so will be easy to attach there as well.

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
I don't know about that. This game of hide and seek was pretty impressive. And iOS usually has a very quick/high adoption rate. It's not real time tracking but it's better than nothing.

I think that the video shows how it CAN work in the future, but I'm suspicious about what he didn't show the moment that he put the AirTag in lost mode, neither the notification that it was seen...Also are the AirTags already live? Anyone with the current iOS can "see" them and report to "Find my"? Just curious...

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
People keep saying track their cars..
1. Won’t cars with Apple CarPlay have a U1 chip in them?
2. Are people regularly getting their cars stolen?
3. Apple maps already tracks your cars location if it is connected to Bluetooth. And remembers where you turned it off and where you parked it...
4. Do we think new AirPods will have the same built in tech soon to track them properly? The current way of finding them now doesn’t really work
Apple Maps Find My Car gives you a general idea of where your car is parked.
With an iPhone 11 or newer, Airtags can pinpoint your car down to 'inches".
Much more accurate according to the videos by YouTubers.

QuietGamer

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
US
One of the 4 pack pucks goes on our camper keys. It is amazing how often they get left "some where". Tow vehicle, a storage compartment, dinette cushion, picnic table. . . disclaimer: alcohol may be involved! Camping ya know hehe

Last edited:

mr_jomo

Cancelled
Dec 9, 2018
Nothing - bought one to play treasure hunt with my 5-year old twins ?.

OK - and for tracking them both next year, when we - COVID allowing - go on skiing vacation ?.

michaelb5000

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
Nothing - bought one to play treasure hunt with my 5-year old twins ?.

OK - and for tracking them both next year, when we - COVID allowing - go on skiing vacation ?.
It will be interesting for skiing if you get a reliable last known location at the bottom of the chair. That is often all the info you need to find someone.

Reactions: mr_jomo

Reggiebaldwin

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2021
1. Car (as more accurate than Find My)
2. Car
3. Golf Cart
4. Golf Bag
5. Luggage
6. Bag
Hi! Just wondering about the golf bag. I can't think of a time I would need one attached to mine except when I hit one a couple fairways over. The bag goes from the trunk of my car to the course and back home. Even when I fly with it there is lost luggage reimbursement from the airlines if it is missing. I know I may be missing something because a lot of posters mention golf clubs.

insoft.uk

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2018
Can see a lot of cat owners finding it handy, dogs not so much tho cats are not house bound like dogs are so Cats and Dogs I can see being very popular

tarkeybear

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2006
Claremont CA
I have a bunch of power tools from German tool manufacurer, Festool. These come in interlocking "systainers" and when you get a bunch of them, they all start to look alike. With the 16 airtag cap, I have to choose carefully which tools will get tagged, but doing so will let me figure out which of these putty & green boxes is the one with the tool I want without having to aimlessly read the content label when I have them scattered around the garage or worksite. Also keys and work badge. Bought a couple extra 4-packs for my better half and my brother (who's Bday is coming up).

A couple thoughts:

it would be nice if an airtag could be shared: i.e. a tag on our dog could be searched on both my wife's AppleID accounts/iOS devices.

Any word if airtags can work with shortcuts? A couple times a year, I head out the door without my work badge, it would be nice if my iPhone (in my pocket) would alert if I got a distance away from the badge on a M-F and alert me that my badge is out of range. Maybe some kind of day of week based geofencing? I don't play in shortcuts so don't know if this is a no-brainer?

mel823

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
NYC
I think that the video shows how it CAN work in the future, but I'm suspicious about what he didn't show the moment that he put the AirTag in lost mode, neither the notification that it was seen...Also are the AirTags already live? Anyone with the current iOS can "see" them and report to "Find my"? Just curious...

Not sure about this guy, but other reviewers used the purple iPhone with their AirTags because it has 14.5.

cecil444

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
NY
No because the owners will be in the same location as the tags.
I wonder though how it will work if your phone is put in airplane mode. Will it still transmit? And if not, will the other people in the plane who forget to turn their phone off get bombarded with these messages? I assume Apple already thought of this and have handled it but I’m curious how all these different “what if” scenarios play out...

Reactions: MrGimper

cecil444

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
NY
Hey everyone - great thread. I've enjoyed reading it. Not for nothing... but you guys all realize that, if you use these things to thwart thieves... and the thief has an iPhone, the AirTag is going to "narc on itself". Right? The thief's iPhone is going to report that there is an unattached AirTag following or "in proximity" or whatever the Apple warning is.

Apple built that in to stop people from using AirTags to stalk each other. If a thief hops on your AirTagged bike, they're going to get a warning on their iPhone that it has an AirTag. I guess you could hope the thief has an Android... or no iPhone.

These things are really meant to find something you've misplaced or has been lost. It's not a LoJac (for you older people) or other anti-theft device. Apple has set these up to make it super easy for thieves to identify its presence and potentially defeat.

Exactly. The point of AirTags is they *want* to be found. (And they assume the people who find them are decent people who won’t discard/deactivate the tag and keep the item.)

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Hi! Just wondering about the golf bag. I can't think of a time I would need one attached to mine except when I hit one a couple fairways over. The bag goes from the trunk of my car to the course and back home. Even when I fly with it there is lost luggage reimbursement from the airlines if it is missing. I know I may be missing something because a lot of posters mention golf clubs.
We live in a golf community. We have a golf cart. The golf bags sit in the golf cart at all times. Thieves have been known to nab golf bags from carts while the garage door is open and unattended.

weeesss

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2017
I ordered it for car keys, but wife keeps losing her Bluetooth headphones, so maybe I can use one for those.

inkhorn

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009
UK pricing at £25 each (~34USD) means probably nothing, as I just don’t lose stuff as often as it seems so many here do!

Reactions: spencers

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
They are useless to protect against theft.

1. They can just take the battery out.

2. You can't hide it, because they will be alerted with audible beeps to protect their privacy and encourage them to scan the tag and contact the owner. Works on Android too.

3. They can reset the tag and use it to track their own stuff.
You’re a bit incorrect on this one. Firstly the beeps only work up to the Bluetooth range of 30-40ft. If someone steels your product more than likely they’ve jetted out way past this range. Secondly it’s idiotic for anyone attempt to confront a thief so while the owner may use the airtags to track their stuff the for the police when they get inside the BT range it’s only the owners choice to make them beep.
Also you’re assuming that the thief knows anything about the Airtags. You have to at least know what they are in order to take the battery out. Most people don’t know what Airtags are and unless they keep up with every product Apple makes thieves may never know what they are.

Reactions: mel823

Johnny907

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2014
Apple Maps Find My Car gives you a general idea of where your car is parked.
With an iPhone 11 or newer, Airtags can pinpoint your car down to 'inches".
Much more accurate according to the videos by YouTubers.
Last time I was in San Diego and forgot where I left the rental, “hey Siri, where’s my car?” took me right back to it within a few feet. Given my healthy eyesight that was sufficient. Still don’t see a use for these on a vehicle, especially seeing how they’d presumably be inside the thing where the signal would be diminished anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.