Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Last time I was in San Diego and forgot where I left the rental, “hey Siri, where’s my car?” took me right back to it within a few feet. Given my healthy eyesight that was sufficient. Still don’t see a use for these on a vehicle, especially seeing how they’d presumably be inside the thing where the signal would be diminished anyway.

Wow, that's a use case I didn't think of. I've definitely had an "oh crap what does my rental car look like" moment before at the beginning of a trip.

iKaushal

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Mumbai, India
Planning to get 8, cant order now, as there are restrictions to order non essential things in Mumbai, India due to Covid 19.

Will use for:
1) My car
2) My car keys
3) Wife's car
4) Wife's car keys
5) My office bag
6) My home keys
7) Wife's home keys
8) Mom's home keys

sboJ

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2021
Keys, and I'm hoping this will fit discreetly in my wallet? if not my wallet might look like it did in middle school?

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
2) Chickens????? Wow. Now, there's one that I never thought Id here being tracked. But it does make sense. Free range birds?

3) Cars: Assuming for finding it in a full parking lot? But you'd have to be within 30ish feet (bluetooth) and at that point I use my key fob to honk horn. OR am I missing your use case???

4) Remote: How will attach? I need to do this one too.
Rene Ritchie has a video unboxing in which he showed that the white side of the AirTag is magnetic—it attached itself to a Canadian coin he was using for size comparison. I’m hoping that the attraction is strong enough to keep an AirTag on the back of my Apple TV remote. I hate misplacing the dang thing!

As for my other uses for the 4-pack I ordered: 2 sets of keys and my dog.

sentinels1121

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2016
...am I crazy for not having interest in these whatsoever?

Did you all have tiles prior to this? What's compelling? Having these as part of your Apple ecosystem?

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
we have electronic Cliq keys installed in 'trakka' cabinets all over various hospitals to restrict access to controlled drug cabinets etc They're a hybrid mechanical/electronic key that can have time schedules applied and all access rights revoked when missing, but as they arent exactly cheap, finding where lost ones have ended up would be even better :)

Reactions: nekron99

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
Does everyone here really lose/misplace things that often? Don't you all just have a bowl that you put your wallet/keys in when you get home and otherwise they're on you? This all seems so strange to me even if the AirTags are a cool bit of technology.
Some of the places I work in there's people who could lose the bowl itself :)

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
No disrespect, but I can’t imagine losing my golf bag. Am I not seeing something?
I see two routes for AirTags: you use it for either theft or loss protection. I think the PRIMARY use case is for less protection. If you lose X, you can ping it and use FindMy network. I think a SECONDARY and slightly LESS ideal scenario is theft protection.

Example: someone takes your golf bag or vehicle. Normally, you would just give up. How can you find a golf bag? Well, you stuck an AirTag in it. Now, anyone with an iPhone can look for it.

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
Just curious.....how do you misplace a golf bag?
I see two routes for AirTags: you use it for either theft or loss protection. I think the PRIMARY use case is for less protection. If you lose X, you can ping it and use FindMy network. I think a SECONDARY and slightly LESS ideal scenario is theft protection.

Example: someone takes your golf bag or vehicle. Normally, you would just give up. How can you find a golf bag? Well, you stuck an AirTag in it. Now, anyone with an iPhone can look for it.

As for how you lose a golf bag. At my golf club, my bag is taken from my vehicle when I get through the gates. The clubs are cleaned and then put in my cart. The same when I am done playing but put in my truck. Easily can be taken.

spawnofbill

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2019
1. Car keys
2. Cat (he likes hiding around the house, and enjoys slipping out, so it's more just to know if he's just hiding or I need to actually go look for him)
3. Work bag
4. Work pelican
5. Camera Bag 1
6. Camera Bag 2

For anyone thinking about using AirTags to track a car, realize that a lot of cars are pretty good faraday cages, so you might need to find somewhere to mount the tag on the exterior of the car.
Does everyone here really lose/misplace things that often? Don't you all just have a bowl that you put your wallet/keys in when you get home and otherwise they're on you? This all seems so strange to me even if the AirTags are a cool bit of technology.
Hi, person with ADHD here. Bold of you to assume I'll remember to put the keys in the bowl in the first place. While I've developed mitigation strategies over the years to prevent losing things, like having a set number of places I will allow myself to put something down, it's not foolproof. I have three wireless chargers just for my phone in my tiny studio basement apartment just to incentivize myself into only putting the phone down in those places, and yet I still regularly misplace it because "Oh hey I need to do this thing" pops into my head and I then put my phone down wherever. A whole lot of you need to realize that there are people in the world whose brains just function differently.

As for the concerns about being useless for theft protection and them going off immediately after they're not in range: Apple has stated that currently AirTags alert people in range after three days if they're separated from the owner. So
you've got three days to track a thief if they don't find the AirTags.

Last edited:

ach

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
Not really losing it. It is more a matter of accidentally leaving it at work, which I don't want to have happen.
I wished Apple supported reporting if something is out of range. Example, if the iPhone is out of range of my Apple watch, in case I left it behind.
I think in Robert's case, I would leave my stuff at work and don't realize I left it at work until I get home. I notice there is some notification when the device is not near the owner but notify someone near it??? I think I should read up more on it. Also, how good is locating it when the iPhone owner is does not support precise location? I don't want to upgrade my phone yet for this one feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.