Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which "Budget" DSLR - Nikon D60 or Canon XS?

• Nikon D60

Votes: 32 41.6%
  • Canon XS

Votes: 31 40.3%
  • Other

Votes: 14 18.2%

• Total voters

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I've scanned scores of photographs taken by different people with both the cameras and to my untrained eye, as compared to the D60, the the colors in the pics taken with the XS seem just a little bit less lively and with a mild bluish hue (mind it - i'm not talking on a very very marginal scale here... and its not based on 1 or 2 photographs, i've scanned hundreds at full resolution).

Appreciate ur views..

Most likely it's just that the Nikon has a more vibrant JPEG setting by default. If you're not shooting JPEGs, it won't matter in the least, and if you are, I'd suggest running through the different settings on both bodies in a store if you can- it's the only way to know for sure which you'll prefer. I certainly wouldn't pick one over the other based on Web gamut JPEGs on Flickr.

rbownes

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2008
Canada
I agree with compuwar. I have the D60 and when I set the quality to RAW+basic the camera will record 2 of the same picture every time you press the shoot button (one in RAW format and one jpeg). When I compare the 2 photos the jpeg colors are always brighter.....sometimes too much compared to the RAW file.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Just an update, I am still 100% happy with my D60 setup that I had described earlier in this thread. Great camera and value!

dubels

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2006
Didn't you have a Canon XS or XSi? Why didn't you stay with the Canon system if you had the lenses already? I am just curious, because I think I remember reading that his was for your dad... If you had a Canon already you could have shared lenses. I am not bashing on the D60, it is a nice camera for it's price.

I am currently deciding between the D60 and a used D70 for my dad so we can share lenses that I have for my D80. The only AF-S lens I have is the 35mm DX so I would like to get something with AF built in to the body.

Belm

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
D40 or XS

Kind of off topic but....

I've been researching DSLRs for a while and I thought I had my mind made up about getting the D40. I went to adorama and the D40 and Canon XS are the same price, $430 refurbished. I don't want to spend more than $500 cause I'm planning to get a MBP early next year. My pockets are tight :D

I know Nikon is coming out with the D3000 soon, but I don't really want to spend that much. The only thing I'm kind of worried about is the Canon being small in my hands. From what I've read though, the Canon is supposedly a better system to begin with. Again I'm a total noob so I'm probably completely wrong. I feel like the XS would be a better deal at $430. Thoughts?

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ
I say D40x! I'm selling my D40x body only for $350:D Its in "like new" condition. I'm selling it because I just bought a D90!!!
Now with all seriousness. I have throughly enjoyed my time with my D40x, it has been a great introduction into the great world of photography. It plays well with Macs and with the operator. Most importantly, it takes AMAZING pictures for its price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.