Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
I was looking for the perfect mix of thinnest clear TPU case that still offers a reasonable amount of protection. I tested the Totallee, ESR and the Ranvoo. I settled on a Ranvoo. Here is my review of how I came to that conclusion.

And here is the case:

Reactions: reebs

sabesh

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
I was looking for the perfect mix of thinnest clear TPU case that still offers a reasonable amount of protection. I tested the Totallee, ESR and the Ranvoo. I settled on a Ranvoo. Here is my review of how I came to that conclusion.

And here is the case:

Pitaka Air case looks promising.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
My ringke fusion front lip + klearlook screen protector means that the screen protector sits proud of the case so will touch a surface first
I know a protector will take some impact but would that potentially be riskier than no protector and a proper lip around the screen from the case?

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010

Interesting. But I prefer the clear cases to show off the white backing. Also, $60 for a case is a bit tough to swallow. :)
[automerge]1570109415[/automerge]

walds11

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2010

I preordered the Air Case about 3 weeks ago and on target to ship on Oct. 7th. $39 after discounts ? I used the MagCase on my iPhone X and really liked it. My all-time favorite case! The new Air Case is very intriguing. It’s thinner than the MagCase, which is great! Plus, I don’t use the Mag mount system anyway. I’m rocking the Apple Silicone pine green case (paired with the Belkin InvisiGlass Ultra screen protector) until the Air Case arrives.

Reactions: sabesh

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Well so far I tried a Caudabe Lucid Clear. That had worked so perfectly on my Xr I thought there was no way I would use anything else again. And maybe for the iPhone 11 they’re still great.
But this time I got an iPhone 11 Pro and the case just didn’t feel as nice to me. I don’t know exactly what is wrong but straight out of the box it didn’t look like the same quality. On the phone I think the power button was too close to the case. And it scratches so easily compared to my old case.

So I tried the Ringke Fusion. I thought it was perfection at first. But there are two little holes on the back toward the bottom corners. I don’t know what they’re there for but they let pocket lint in. I’ve got cats so there’s a tiny cat hair that got through, too.

Next was the Ringke Air-S.

F3CE4253-A60A-455E-BCE7-8D5A2694B411.jpeg

Air-S is really nice. It’s like an Apple Silicone case but more sturdy and gives coverage on the bottom. I’ve used it on the wireless charger and it’s fine. I haven’t discovered anything to complain about except I would like more colors.

I still wanted one see through case that would let me see the Midnight Green so I tried one more case. Also I had dropped my iPhone XR (the Caudabe lucid clear saved it from harm) so I decided to look for a rugged clear case.

I was looking at UAG but saw complaints on Amazon that the rim didn’t raise up enough to protect the display. Also their branding obscured a good portion of the back including the Apple logo. And they cost about $40

I found a much cheaper clone in the Poetic Affinity:

A938E312-B601-4062-BD9C-FBA17399A8FD.jpeg

218DFD79-5756-4DFC-B1EE-48656407DB7D.jpeg

The price was right at Amazon at $12.95 and an extra 10% coupon.

The sides are a pliable TPU that flexes enough to get the phone in and out easily without fear of scratches. The clear plastic is a bit frosted to resist fingerprints. But the color shows through really well. In some ways it looks better than through flat clear plastic. I really like that it’s easy to grip and very light. Even though it looks rugged it doesn’t weigh the phone down. It looks nice and button covers are easy to press.

I was very pleasantly surprised. It appears to be well rated on Amazon so far

rperalta

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
Hercules, CA
Clear Peel case came in...

Pros
-exposed buttons
-very light
-using gestures towards of the bottom of the screen is unobstructed as the case doesn’t reach the front of the screen
-ultra thin, prob thinnest I’ve had just like previous peel cases

cons
-hard plastic which will likely scratch the bezel of the phone
-scratches easily inside of the case showed some scratches after removing the case and reinstalling twice
-frosted/not very material
-no screen protection/no front lip
-$30
Thanks for the review! Did you receive the Totallee and Power Support? Which case do you like the most. Please post with pics. Thanks!

Reactions: sk2sep2304

Jaggrey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2015
Pembroke Pines, FL
Well so far I tried a Caudabe Lucid Clear. That had worked so perfectly on my Xr I thought there was no way I would use anything else again. And maybe for the iPhone 11 they’re still great.
But this time I got an iPhone 11 Pro and the case just didn’t feel as nice to me. I don’t know exactly what is wrong but straight out of the box it didn’t look like the same quality. On the phone I think the power button was too close to the case. And it scratches so easily compared to my old case.

So I tried the Ringke Fusion. I thought it was perfection at first. But there are two little holes on the back toward the bottom corners. I don’t know what they’re there for but they let pocket lint in. I’ve got cats so there’s a tiny cat hair that got through, too.

Next was the Ringke Air-S.

View attachment 866116
Air-S is really nice. It’s like an Apple Silicone case but more sturdy and gives coverage on the bottom. I’ve used it on the wireless charger and it’s fine. I haven’t discovered anything to complain about except I would like more colors.

I still wanted one see through case that would let me see the Midnight Green so I tried one more case. Also I had dropped my iPhone XR (the Caudabe lucid clear saved it from harm) so I decided to look for a rugged clear case.

I was looking at UAG but saw complaints on Amazon that the rim didn’t raise up enough to protect the display. Also their branding obscured a good portion of the back including the Apple logo. And they cost about $40

I found a much cheaper clone in the Poetic Affinity:

View attachment 866113

View attachment 866114
The price was right at Amazon at $12.95 and an extra 10% coupon.

The sides are a pliable TPU that flexes enough to get the phone in and out easily without fear of scratches. The clear plastic is a bit frosted to resist fingerprints. But the color shows through really well. In some ways it looks better than through flat clear plastic. I really like that it’s easy to grip and very light. Even though it looks rugged it doesn’t weigh the phone down. It looks nice and button covers are easy to press.

I was very pleasantly surprised. It appears to be well rated on Amazon so far

Do you have any pictures of your phone with the Poetic case?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
@GrumpyMom , have you looked at the Ringke Fusion-X?

One of my faves.
Oh yes I had that for my iPhone XR! It was a close second favorite after the Caudabe. I usually get my Ringke cases for under $4 from Slickdeals but this time they didn’t have any good deals. I got one coupon code from a forum post for my Ringke Air.

It’s funny you should mention it now because I was thinking of picking one up for pop socket use. I like to have at least one case for a pop socket. Lol, my teenager got me started on them and it does help on days my wrist and pinky are strained.

MikeKlump

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2015
Does anyone have the UAG Plyo case? Been using mine for the past few weeks and it has a lot of scratches developing on it.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I went with the Apple Clear Case for my iPhone 11 Pro Max-Space Gray. Just wish it had a little bit better oleophobic coating on it, as it can be a fingerprint magnet...if your hands are oily/dirty.

I actually really like it, coming from someone who ALWAYS went with Apple Leather cases.

:apple:

Pje200

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2016
Does anyone have the UAG Plyo case? Been using mine for the past few weeks and it has a lot of scratches developing on it.
Mine does also, but hides them better than a clear case, I have the ash color, with sg pro.

MikeKlump

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2015
Mine does also, but hides them better than a clear case, I have the ash color, with sg pro.
Gotcha. I actually contacted UAG about it and they sent me a new case but I guess it's just standard wear. I expected it to be a little more durable but oh well. Great case otherwise.

sabesh

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
I preordered the Air Case about 3 weeks ago and on target to ship on Oct. 7th. $39 after discounts ? I used the MagCase on my iPhone X and really liked it. My all-time favorite case! The new Air Case is very intriguing. It’s thinner than the MagCase, which is great! Plus, I don’t use the Mag mount system anyway. I’m rocking the Apple Silicone pine green case (paired with the Belkin InvisiGlass Ultra screen protector) until the Air Case arrives.

I have the MagCase for my iPhone 11 Pro Max. I like it! However, if I had known about the Air Case, I'd have preordered that instead. Please let know what you think after you get the case. Thx.

walds11

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2010
I have the MagCase for my iPhone 11 Pro Max. I like it! However, if I had known about the Air Case, I'd have preordered that instead. Please let know what you think after you get the case. Thx.

Absolutely! I also created a separate thread on it:

Reactions: sabesh

Mel8899

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2017
Anyone using the Spigen Liquid Air case...Does yours leave marks on the sides?

Tdosthp

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015
Grabbed an otterbox viva today. Much better than the commuter imo. Lighter, thinner. Great case.

I asked OtterBox via Twitter, what the difference between the Viva and Commuter is and they responded that they are the same case, but the Viva is exclusive to WalMart (and of course OtterBox.com).

But, you see a difference?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.