Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Djones96

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
So, I had already purchased the smartish gripmunk some time ago, and I think I was too quick to judge. It’s been sitting in a drawer collecting dust, but after reading this thread and giving into “peer pressure” 😂 I decided to give it another shot, and I’m liking it a lot more than I did initially. Buttons are much clickier than the caudabe cases as @thatappleguytoday mentioned and it’s much lighter/thinner feeling in the hand, and the grooves on the sides are wonderful. For $20 this case is outstanding.

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpeg
    IMG_0061.jpeg
    285.7 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0060.jpeg
    IMG_0060.jpeg
    315.8 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0062.jpeg
    IMG_0062.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
A lot of review videos I watch not much lip protection. I was disappointed that the Nomad leather from reviewers didn’t have much or any lip protection. Technically Tee I believe uses Spigen screen protectors and reviewing the Nomad Leather I think he said screen protector almost flush.
Yup, the lip on the Nomad leather cases are essentially flush with a screen protector (returned one for that reason). Those cases should have a lip like the Rugged, and the Rugged should have an additional .5 mm or so IMO.

SweetLou122

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
you know a case company is ******, when they can’t even give their own marketing team a case that isn’t broken.
Weird, my grip case has no issues?

As far as screen protection goes, the best lip I have seen is the Mous. Dbrand grip and gripzilla are probably tied for second. Many others are pretty minimal, especially with a glass screen protector (most are ~ 0.3mm).

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Weird, my grip case has no issues?

As far as screen protection goes, the best lip I have seen is the Mous. Dbrand grip and gripzilla are probably tied for second. Many others are pretty minimal, especially with a glass screen protector (most are ~ 0.3mm).
I agree. The Mous and the Grip both have that U-shaped lip which gives lots of clearance without feeling intrusive on the sides. Makes it nice for setting the phone face down on almost any surface while also being easy to pick up.

InsulinJunkie72

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2022
WI, USA
Another quick PopSocket interlude; the "Sunset Sherbert" I had on backorder showed up yesterday.

PopSocket MagSafe White Wallet + Otterbox Symmetry (Sunstone)
PopSocket MagSafe White Wallet + Decoded Silicone Back Cover (Apricot)

Attachments

• PSock_SSun_OttOrSym.jpg
    PSock_SSun_OttOrSym.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 77
  • PSock_SSun_DecoOrSil.jpg
    PSock_SSun_DecoOrSil.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 82

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2014
For those with dbrand grip, does the grip still feel "too grippy" in a way that makes it hard to pull out of your pocket
100% yes! I actually loved the case in all aspects except this. After a few days of using it, this was doing my head in so much that I returned it. One of the hardest cases to get out my pocket I've ever had.

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2014
All the Gripmunk talk on here tempted me, ordered the 'Blues On The Green' colour (with MagSafe).

So far, super impressed. It's like a better version of a Caudabe case. I love Caudabe cases, but the buttons on this years have been so awful (in my opinion) that I have both the Synthesis and Sheath sitting in my drawer at home and cannot stick with them. (For the record, I complained and was sent replacements which were just as bad, so I don't think mine were 'one offs'). My immediate thought after putting this on was that it was like a Caudabe but with better buttons, and it was cheaper!!

I'm so impressed at the moment that if my thoughts on it don't change over the next 48hrs I'll be ordering the black version too.

Attachments

• IMG_0107.jpeg
    IMG_0107.jpeg
    729.6 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0111.jpeg
    IMG_0111.jpeg
    568.8 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0112.jpeg
    IMG_0112.jpeg
    574.3 KB · Views: 126

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
All the Gripmunk talk on here tempted me, ordered the 'Blues On The Green' colour (with MagSafe).

So far, super impressed. It's like a better version of a Caudabe case. I love Caudabe cases, but the buttons on this years have been so awful (in my opinion) that I have both the Synthesis and Sheath sitting in my drawer at home and cannot stick with them. (For the record, I complained and was sent replacements which were just as bad, so I don't think mine were 'one offs'). My immediate thought after putting this on was that it was like a Caudabe but with better buttons, and it was cheaper!!

I'm so impressed at the moment that if my thoughts on it don't change over the next 48hrs I'll be ordering the black version too.

Thanks for posting. I was wondering what the blues on the green colorway looked like. Some pics showed it as a bright blue. I have the natty.

Just ordered it. At first I was good with the Synthesis but after using my Spigen Mag Armor with the extremely tactile buttons, I fell out of love with the Synthesis. The buttons are really crap.

Do you have a screen protector on? Looks like nice lip protection.

Can’t wait to get mine tomorrow. Wish they made a gray.

Last edited:
Reactions: off2marz

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Was just thinking. Do cases with air slit buttons have better tactile-itity than those that don’t? Which cases that don’t have air slit buttons have good tactility?

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
Was just thinking. Do cases with air slit buttons have better tactile-itity than those that don’t? Which cases that don’t have air slit buttons have good tactility?
Air slits are supposed to be better for tactility.

Caudabe has air slits and in my experience, the volume and action buttons on their Sheath's this year are trash

Reactions: macher

Djones96

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022

Wow the blue looks great. I don’t need.. I don’t need.. I don’t need

Reactions: dotatoc and macher

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Wow the blue looks great. I don’t need.. I don’t need.. I don’t need

If I wasn’t returning my Caudabe Synthesis I wouldn’t need it either. I hope the Gripmunk is a good replacement in terms of protection.

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2014
Thanks for posting. I was wondering what the blues on the green colorway looked like. Some pics showed it as a bright blue. I have the natty.

Just ordered it. At first I was good with the Synthesis but after using my Spigen Mag Armor with the extremely tactile buttons, I fell out of love with the Synthesis. The buttons are really crap.

Do you have a screen protector on? Looks like nice lip protection.

Can’t wait to get mine tomorrow. Wish they made a gray.
That's literally my exact experience too - put up with the Caudabe's for a week or so, reverted back to my Spigen Mah Armour and instantly thought "I was right in my initial thoughts, all Caudabe's buttons this year are s**t!!"

No screen protector, lip protection is for me in the sweet spot - enough to give me confidence to put my phone face down, but not so much it interferes with swiping etc.

I also wish they may a gray - I like the blue, but for me personally it's a little on the bright side, and I try to avoid pure black cases where possible. A nice charcoal or mid gray would be perfect to me. Or a deep navy, would love that too.

Reactions: macher

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
That's literally my exact experience too - put up with the Caudabe's for a week or so, reverted back to my Spigen Mah Armour and instantly thought "I was right in my initial thoughts, all Caudabe's buttons this year are s**t!!"

No screen protector, lip protection is for me in the sweet spot - enough to give me confidence to put my phone face down, but not so much it interferes with swiping etc.

I also wish they may a gray - I like the blue, but for me personally it's a little on the bright side, and I try to avoid pure black cases where possible. A nice charcoal or mid gray would be perfect to me. Or a deep navy, would love that too.
Maybe if we get enough people wanting gray we could get Smartish to make a gray.

I really really like the Spigen Mag Armor. The only negative I’ll give it is that the sides where buttons are IMO could be more tight. But corners anre good. Other than that I think it’s a sleeper case that doesn’t get much attention for some reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.