Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Delorean2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2012
View attachment 2389934
I did some testing to see which of my cases grip well enough to prevent my phone from sliding around in the car under normal driving conditions. I posted about the Symmetry yesterday, which is very good in this regard. Among my cases, the other is the Nomad Rugged, which has the added advantage of not only being sufficiently grippy when laid face down, but also when resting face up. None of my other cases are grippy enough to avoid slipping around, at least on the console of my car (Volvo XC60). Both of these cases use a soft-ish TPU, which I don’t think is coincidental. The trade-off is that the softer TPU makes both of these cases have a comparatively loose fit.

These are the cases that failed the slide test: Phone Rebel Gen 5, Caudabe Sheath, Caudabe Synthesis, Apple FineWoven, Pitaka Pro, Mous Limitless.
I’ve tried numerous cases on my phone and settled on the symmetry, it’s a little bulky but it has protected my phone which at the end of the day is what’s most important. Though the nomad rugged is a rugged case I’m contemplating (I am not a fan of the defender) hows the with compared to the symmetry?

Reactions: Zensō

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
I’ve tried numerous cases on my phone and settled on the symmetry, it’s a little bulky but it has protected my phone which at the end of the day is what’s most important. Though the nomad rugged is a rugged case I’m contemplating (I am not a fan of the defender) hows the with compared to the symmetry?
The Rugged is similar in width to the Symmetry, though overall it’s slightly bulkier and heavier. It’s not nearly as bulky as the Defender though. I find it easier to grip than the Symmetry due to the concave sides. Its biggest downside is the symmetrical cutouts on the bottom, which don’t bother me in the least, but which some people don’t like.

Last edited:

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Well, I started reading this thread when I got my 15PM in December and I’m finally at the last page lol

I’ve had a not so ideal experience with Mous but not that they are shocking quality- it’s just the finish isn’t 100% in terms of durability. Chalking it up to experience and I’m glad I tried Mous for the very first time. It’s not to say I wouldn’t try them again but I only went with them as had a discount on them.

Now I will say that Mous have taken sufficient steps to ensure I was happy with the resolution which I am. I specified the issues with the quality and in fact one of them I can still use despite it looking grubby. It’s just not one I’d use to look good and would definitely use when I need a rugged case for activities.

Setting Mous aside there are two cases I’m keeping my options open for.

Torras- one I’ve had on my previous iPhone and was very happy with fit, quality and look.

Phone Rebel- this one interests me more so, as I’ve never tried this brand.

I’ve already a frosted case in Lamical and whilst I like it, it’s heavy at nearly 90g from memory. My Mous rugged was 45g!

My steering towards the two options are twofold - I find with my super thin Mous, the sides and back are spot on but there is no lip over the screen. Also the sides have no true grip as such.

I'm at a point where my limitless 5.0 caters for rugged situations perfectly fine so I'm covered there, my super thin and aramid covers thin feel where there's no need for crazy thickness however I'm thinking the two I like offer a bit of ruggedness along with decent hold and grip with not too much heft and difficulty keeping hold of the phone.

So what's peoples thoughts on the phone Rebel gen 5? I can probably guess what the Torras is like on past experience.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
So what's peoples thoughts on the phone Rebel gen 5?

PR Gen 5:
  • Amazing fit, one of the best.
  • Flush swiping with raised corners is genius.
  • Excellent buttons.
  • Extreme grip (too aggressive for some).
  • Highly protective.
  • Strong MagSafe.
  • Heavy.
  • The metal parts can scratch and be scratched.
  • The usual aramid fingerprints and smudges.
  • Lots of nooks and crannies to capture detritus.
One of the best cases overall IMO, but not without some trade-offs (every case has them).

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
PR Gen 5:
  • Amazing fit, one of the best.
  • Flush swiping with raised corners is genius.
  • Excellent buttons.
  • Extreme grip (too aggressive for some).
  • Highly protective.
  • Strong MagSafe.
  • Heavy.
  • The metal parts can scratch and be scratched.
  • The usual aramid fingerprints and smudges.
  • Lots of nooks and crannies to capture detritus.
One of the best cases overall IMO, but not without some trade-offs (every case has them).

Thanks!

Checked out the Rebel but wow it can be between £16 and £20 for delivery alone! That’s ridiculous!

Reactions: Zensō

Chevyguy2021

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2017
Just ordered a new TORRAS. My husband just got the slim and I loved it, so I ordered the black one. So slim and simple matte color.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
IMG_5634.jpeg

Out of curiosity I tried out a Benks Pro over the weekend. It’s a nice case with a precise fit that rivals the Pitaka Pro. One big plus is that it’s much less prone to fingerprints than the Pitaka. Downsides are that it’s very slippery and the metal camera ring is sharp enough to possibly scratch some surfaces. The deal killer though are the buttons which, while looking nice and being plenty tactile, rattle like crazy. Because of this it’ll be going back to Amazon.

Reactions: off2marz

Surfsalot

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2023
The Rugged is similar in width to the Symmetry, though overall it’s slightly bulkier and heavier. It’s not nearly as bulky as the Defender though. I find it easier to grip than the Symmetry due to the concave sides. Its biggest downside is the symmetrical cutouts on the bottom, which don’t bother me in the least, but which some people don’t like.
How's the magasfe on the rugged better than the symmetry?

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2014
View attachment 2391578

Out of curiosity I tried out a Benks Pro over the weekend. It’s a nice case with a precise fit that rivals the Pitaka Pro. One big plus is that it’s much less prone to fingerprints than the Pitaka. Downsides are that it’s very slippery and the metal camera ring is sharp enough to possibly scratch some surfaces. The deal killer though are the buttons which, while looking nice and being plenty tactile, rattle like crazy. Because of this it’ll be going back to Amazon.
I wonder if there's a chance you have a faulty one there - this has ended up being my number 1 case this year by a long way, and my buttons rattle when the case isn't on the phone, but once on the phone they don't rattle at all. Just thought I'd mention it.

EShapiro

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2010
I have been using this Benks Pro case on my iPhone 15 Pro for a few months now. I think the metal camera ring is really sharp looking and really helps to integrate the otherwise bulky-looking three camera layout. I can see where you would be concerned about scratching, although I have not seen that yet. I wish that their branding, although small, was placed somewhere less conspicuous. Two other things: The slippery feel has completely gone away after three months...and the buttons on my case don't rattle at all. I would not have tolerated that either. I wonder if they have a quality control issue.

Reactions: off2marz and Zensō

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
I wonder if there's a chance you have a faulty one there - this has ended up being my number 1 case this year by a long way, and my buttons rattle when the case isn't on the phone, but once on the phone they don't rattle at all. Just thought I'd mention it.
It is probably defective. The power button is fine but the volume buttons wobble and rattle quite noticeably when on the phone. I guess at this late date I’m not really interested in playing the button lottery so probably won’t be asking for a replacement. Thanks.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
I have been using this Benks Pro case on my iPhone 15 Pro for a few months now. I think the metal camera ring is really sharp looking and really helps to integrate the otherwise bulky-looking three camera layout. I can see where you would be concerned about scratching, although I have not seen that yet. I wish that their branding, although small, was placed somewhere less conspicuous. Two other things: The slippery feel has completely gone away after three months...and the buttons on my case don't rattle at all. I would not have tolerated that either. I wonder if they have a quality control issue.
Thanks for the the info. If I received a clean copy I’d definitely keep it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.