Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
I realize it’s a beta, and a lot could change in the coming months. Nonetheless, what do you wish were fixed or introduced?

My list:

1. On iPad, I wish I could use Apple Pencil to invoke Control/Notification Center, Dock, go Home, or go back in web history. I use my Apple Pencil most of the time and would love to have an uninterrupted workflow without having to switch from Pencil to fingers.
2. It’s a bummer that after all these years, Apple still refuses to have automatic read status sync for iCloud accounts between Mac and iPhone/iPad. Some people report that it has always worked for them. Then what’s the deal???
3. Ugh, that full-screen callscreen is annoying as hell. I don’t see this changing any time soon though.
4. I hate this one: inability to search for emojis. Predictive only suggests a max of three. And I don’t wanna have to use a 3rd-party app.
5. This one is ridiculous: Hidden Photos still can’t be protected. Over a billion people know that Photos app has a Hidden folder and where exactly to locate it. So much for Hidden.
6. Was hoping for favicons in Safari Bookmarks.
7. Show me which one of my numbers or email addresses I receive an iMessage or a FaceTime call on.
8. Still can’t clear all NEW notifications at once when there are no old notifications present.
9. Searchable phone recents would’ve been nice.
10. Ability to customize the two shortcuts at the bottom of the lockscreen. Why would I need a camera shortcut in addition to swiping left for camera??
11. Was hoping for a way to lock any app. App Limit workaround is not perfect.

Last edited:

redpandadev

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
2 things I want that didn’t happen:

1) a toggle for Notification Center / widget view. I’d like widget view when I swipe down and notifications on the 2nd page, opposite of how it is now.

2) a home screen redesign of some kind. If nothing else, the ability to put icons anywhere on the grid rather than always being pinned to the top left corner.

munpip214

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Offline Siri
Offline maps
Time in Control Center
Ability to put people in contacts groups
News app filter out duplicate stories and only show new ones
More advanced HomeKit automations/triggers in Home app
HomeKit history
More diverse HomeKit device icons
Airplay HEVC video (non Apple apps)
Being back custom tabs in music app (playlist, album, etc)
My Audiobooks as separate section, not combined with other books.

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
I was hoping for picture in picture, refined notifications, picture in picture and some better app management.

Reactions: TwoBytes

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Unless I missed it.. I would really liked to have seen a device list for bluetooth and Wi-Fi (not just on/off) through the control center. Having to bring them up through settings every time feels barbaric.

Reactions: dk001

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Default apps. There are users who prefer third party apps over Safari, Mail, etc.

Home screen customization of some sort. The iPad took a step in that direction, why not the rest?

And while it's a minor thing, it was rumored that the Control Center would get some attention, perhaps in the form of better organization, but evidently, it did not.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
  • Still no prediction on default keyboard for my language (Finnish). This is a standard feature on every Android keyboard I’ve used. I have to use Swiftkey which has a ******** layout than the default keyboard on my iPad Pro.
  • Custom keyboards most likely cannot use default prediction so they still need to roll their own or go without.
  • Mouse support still seems like a reluctant concession. I hope they work on it more for the final release and actually allow a sensible cursor.
  • Did they fix the call screen taking over everything you were doing and being unable to ignore it without declining or answering the call?
  • I guess my 1st gen Apple Pencil will still be incompatible with 2018 iPad Pros just because it would require a lightning to USB-C dongle to pair and charge.

Reactions: Rivvvers

stormchasejg

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
East Preston, UK
Unless I missed it.. I would really liked to have seen a device list for bluetooth and Wi-Fi (not just on/off) through the control center. Having to bring them up through settings every time feels barbaric.
Its here in iOS 13 Beta 1
IMG_1DDD38172FE6-1.jpeg

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Are there settings in files to either automatically download the contents of iCloud Drive/optimise storage? Or to download folders in iCloud Drive? The fact you can't do either in iOS 12 makes files annoyingly non usable.
[doublepost=1559633496][/doublepost]
Its here in iOS 13 Beta 1
View attachment 840659

Can you turn Wifi off without going into settings?

mattyu007

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
Seattle, WA
I really would have liked to see better support for multi-stop itineraries and searching while navigating in Maps. Google Maps handles this much better, letting you plan out an entire itinerary before navigating and also letting you type to search while running turn-by-turn navigation.

Reactions: iObama

SoYoung

macrumors 65832
Jul 3, 2015
A better dark mode and not just a smart invert colour feel. Make safari webpages darker as well when dark mode is enabled like Firefox. I’m disappointed with the results. iOS 13 was not like I expected.

At least they could bring safari extensions on iOS.

Reactions: drinkingtea

JokerPower

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2017
1. Picture in Picture or split screen on iPhone - very handy if you are multitasking. We already have powerful devices with big screens, why not taking advantage of the hardware? iOS is behind Android on this matter
2. Disable full screen incoming call. It can interrupt your activity. Not smart from Apple..

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Doesn't look like it yet but theres a quick link to the settings from this menu which is quicker than before

ARGH! I guess better than before. Annoying because I'm far more likely to want to turn wifi off than actually change networks.
[doublepost=1559639371][/doublepost]
I really would have liked to see better support for multi-stop itineraries and searching while navigating in Maps. Google Maps handles this much better, letting you plan out an entire itinerary before navigating and also letting you type to search while running turn-by-turn navigation.

Oh yes this would be great! Does Apple maps even allow 'stops' on trips or more destinations?

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
Our devices still cannot be used as a removable storage. We still have to beat around the bush.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
I was hoping for a better implementation of the control center. I should be bottom corner, not top corner not the phones. It works great on a jailbroken phone and Apple should implement it. You can bring up the open apps by swiping from the middle and bring up the control center from swiping up from the bottom right.

Also I thought they would just do more with the homescreen. I thought maybe they would do something with the status bar and make more things visible in a cool way. Its not a huge deal to me but the homescreen does need an overhaul at some point.

stormchasejg

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
East Preston, UK
Silly question maybe, but how do you get that? Long press or 3D touch doesn't do anything on my wifi icon (iPhone 6S). All I can do is the old "disconnect until tomorrow" thing.

A quick-ish method to turning wifi on/off is to long/3D press on the settings icon. Of course, the phone has to be unlocked for this.
3D Touch onto the 4 icons till you get the 6 icons where you can activate things like Airdrop or Hotspot then 3D Touch again on wifi/bluetooth and the menu should appear

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
3D Touch onto the 4 icons till you get the 6 icons where you can activate things like Airdrop or Hotspot then 3D Touch again on wifi/bluetooth and the menu should appear
Thanks! 3D touch is only working around 1 in 3 times on that for some reason, but long press always works. I know they're "merging" 3D touch and long press, ready for ditching the former, so this could be a bug-ette.

Hauss316

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
Thanks! 3D touch is only working around 1 in 3 times on that for some reason, but long press always works. I know they're "merging" 3D touch and long press, ready for ditching the former, so this could be a bug-ette.
I’d say another cost cutting measure to keep revenue high due to longer phone ownership and lack of demand for new phones.

CrzyP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
I wanted third party navigation app views from the lock screen and the ability to pin favorite albums and playlists in Apple Music.

smizzle

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I was hoping they would expand the HomeKit widget in Control Center to include more than 8 favorite scenes but it doesn't sound like they've made any changes to it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.