Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Wow the list has gotten much shorter, and it’s mostly just annoyances rather than functional impairments. If the biggest complaint now is full screen incoming calls, iOS is not in a bad state, imo.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Other than those already mentioned, the ability to rename Bluetooth devices. At work, we have several Fords that can be assigned to anyone on any given day. My Bluetooth menu just says “Sync” down the line 10 times. If one of the cars goes down, there’s no way of telling which one to delete without connecting to it and by that time, the car is off the lot. This list isn’t even the whole fleet.

View attachment 841012
Yes. I have two Shure SE215 BT headphones and because I cannot rename each headphone in the Bluetooth setting, I end up buying different colours so I can still have something to distinguish each of them.
[doublepost=1559979517][/doublepost]
Is it just me or is the 'heart' feature now completely buried? I have to open the ellipses menu and then it's all the way at the bottom? This makes me wonder if Apple doesn't want people using this feature.

Edit: Found out that in the 'more' menu you can actually edit this, so that's one thing fixed! Still begs the question of why Apple has it set up that way, however.
Yeah. In iOS 8.4, I can directly “love” a song from LOCK SCREEN. Then, in iOS 10, Apple removed that love button entirely, forcing user to go to Music app and love (as well as Star Rating, if they had any song that has a star rating). It was slightly easier to access than star rating though. Now, Apple demote the “love” to the same level as “star rating”. Not sure what they are up to now.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I don't understand why, after all this time, we still can't change video resolution/framerate settings in the camera app. Having to go all the way into settings to do it, and then back again to change it back, is laborious and can cause you to miss a shot you're trying for.

Maybe what apple want is let you ignore those settings altogether and just take shots after shots after shots. I find myself having those resolution setting settle down, and I rarely go back and change it.
With that being said, I wish they could allow us to switch on and off grid mode without going into settings app.

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
Maybe what apple want is let you ignore those settings altogether and just take shots after shots after shots. I find myself having those resolution setting settle down, and I rarely go back and change it.
With that being said, I wish they could allow us to switch on and off grid mode without going into settings app.

I'm talking about video. In order to switch your video resolution/frame-rate, you have go into settings. You're in a well lit situation and want t get the highest quality video possible? 4k@60fps. If you're in a low-light situation, though, 24 or 30 fps would be better. Or, maybe you need to save storage so would prefer to be at the lower frame rate ... or 1080p instead of 4k.

So, you launch the camera app, switch to video, and realize you want/need to make a change, so now, you have to 'home' out of the camera app, click on settings, scroll down to find 'camera', click on that, click on 'record video', select your option, then go back to the camera. That sucks and there's no reason for it.

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
I'm talking about video. In order to switch your video resolution/frame-rate, you have go into settings. You're in a well lit situation and want t get the highest quality video possible? 4k@60fps. If you're in a low-light situation, though, 24 or 30 fps would be better. Or, maybe you need to save storage so would prefer to be at the lower frame rate ... or 1080p instead of 4k.

So, you launch the camera app, switch to video, and realize you want/need to make a change, so now, you have to 'home' out of the camera app, click on settings, scroll down to find 'camera', click on that, click on 'record video', select your option, then go back to the camera. That sucks and there's no reason for it.

Yeah, this is stupid. Camera quality settings should be in the Camera app. Especially for video resolution and framerate.

Reactions: eoblaed

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015

While I agree that those settings should be available within the app, I am not entirely sure where could Apple put those settings with current camera app. Maybe tap somewhere. In the meantime, most people don’t change those settings too often. They may take several 4K videos before they realise storage is running out.

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
While I agree that those settings should be available within the app, I am not entirely sure where could Apple put those settings with current camera app. Maybe tap somewhere. In the meantime, most people don’t change those settings too often. They may take several 4K videos before they realise storage is running out.

The resolution/frame rate is already displayed on the screen when you’re in video mode. Make that exact same piece of data that’s already there tappable. Done.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Block autoplay video on all websites. Turn Wifi off in CC. Both things I used to be able to do in iOS but now cannot, for no good reason.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2018

iOS Feature Requests

Maps:
  • The ability to receive traffic alerts that include any accidents, construction, or road conditions that will impact my commute.
  • Toggle speed limits on/off when not on a route (Maps knows when you're traveling on a road).
  • Toggle traffic layer on/off when not on a route.
  • Rearrange/organize places in my Favorites list.
  • Sort Favorites by distance, name, or date added.
  • Map and List views for Favorites.
  • Ability to search in Maps while in a route. Currently, I have to end the route to do so.
  • Ability to add a waypoint to a current route.

Music:
  • The ability to delete music from my Apple Music library without affecting playlists.
  • Do away with the very limited Apple Music set up steps “Choose Artists for You”, “Tell us what you’re into”, and "Choose your favorites". Curate recommendations based on listening habits alone.
  • Display album release dates on currently playing screen.
  • Option for "Show on My Profile and in Search" for playlists off by default.
  • Smart playlists in iOS.
  • Hearts next to the songs I’ve "loved".
  • Search suggestions of albums, artists, songs, etc. are spelled wrong ("Did you mean...").
  • The ability to delete playlist cover art from iOS (revert to default).
  • The ability to sort music in libraries and playlists by year/decade.
  • Smart playlists in iOS, iPadOS.
  • Push notifications about new albums from artists in my library.
  • Add new music to the top of playlists.
  • "You Might Also Like" section at the end of playlists.

Notes:
  • Add collaborators to password-protected notes.
  • Add a horizontal line.
  • Jump to a search terms.
  • Condensed notes (option for displaying just the note title in the list view).
  • Export all notes to a zip file (for backup purposes).
  • Ability to pick a specific note for the lock screen widget.
  • Ability to pick a specific note when accessing notes from Control Center shortcut.
  • Option to stay at the top of a note when accessing from Control Center shortcut instead of jumping to the bottom.

• The ability to mute tapback notifications.
  • A Memoji studio app (create and save Memoji images outside of the Messages app).
  • Scheduled texts.
  • When texting someone, prioritize phone numbers over emails addresses, or hide one or the other altogether.
  • The ability to save Memoji stickers (PNG format) to iOS Camera Roll.
  • Silent messages - Regardless of the recipient’s settings for the thread, it won’t sound an audible alert at their end. They will still see the notification when they check their phone, but it won’t ping them.

Mail:
  • Scheduled emails.
  • Ability to set default "from" email address when composing new emails.
  • Better awareness of mail that arrives in the junk folder.

Safari:
  • Integrated RSS reader (to work alongside Reading List).
  • Shared bookmarks.
  • Separate the "Bookmarks and History" URL search results so that they each have their own section.
  • Allow searching in bookmarks to retrieve results from all folders and sub-folders.

Calendar:
  • iCloud sharing using contact phone numbers (not email only).
  • Option to display anniversary dates from contacts. Option to set automatic reminders for them.
  • Ability to sync Reminders with Calendar.
  • Ability to create multiple alerts in Settings > Calendar > Default Alert Times. For example, in Birthdays, I'd like to be alerted in advance (to get a gift) as well as the day of.
  • Ability to define the default iOS Birthday calendar color (as well as all calendars that fall under the "Other" section for that matter).
  • When entering a location for a calendar event, if multiple people share the same address, one of the address suggestions should include all people's names. For example, if there is an event at Jack & Jill's, currently, I can only display one of their names in the event location field ("Jack's Home", or "Jill's Home"). I would like to be able to display both names. For example: "Jack & Jill's Home". This is especially helpful for events where multiple people are RSVPing.

Contacts:
  • Display contacts' ages in contact cards based on birthday field.
  • "Related names" field links to respective contact cards.
  • When selecting "Add Field" in a contact card, it would be helpful if that new field automatically came into view (jump to the text field) instead of having to scroll to find it.

Weather:
  • Doppler weather radar maps.

iOS:
  • Option for disabling camera shutter sound effect without muting phone.
  • Ability to hide apps, but still have them appear in Search.
  • Ability to create app folders within folders.
  • Ability to share Safari pages in Reader format.
  • Sticky notifications.
  • Better dimming for nighttime. Currently using accessibility workaround.
  • New Home Screen design.
  • Dynamic wallpapers.
  • New ringtones.
  • Low quality image mode automatically temporarily turns off when connected to Wi-Fi.
  • Display age in birthday alerts (macOS does this).
  • Option to have apps auto update when plugged into power and connected to WiFi.
  • Weather on the lock screen.
  • Album art in Control Center is an interesting concept: https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/c2flkd
  • Ability to save AirDrop contacts as favorites so that I can send something when someone is not available and the transfer goes to pending status until the person is able to receive it.
  • Ability to disable the dictate text chime.
  • Make the custom calendar colors in the Calendar widget full vibrancy. Currently, they are dim. This should also apply to emoji within widgets.
  • The option to delete apps from their respective haptic touch menus.

Hardware:
  • ProMotion (120Hz refresh rate)
  • Smaller notch (or just camera, sensor holes)
  • Wider angle and faster Face ID
  • Fast charge and USB-C in the box
  • Significant camera hardware and software enhancements
  • Move microphone hardware to the right side of phone (my pinky finger always covers it).

Keychain:
  • Add the "Add Password" button to the top of the "App & Website Passwords" window for Keychain. Right now, I have to scroll past a long list of saved logins every time I want to add a new entry.
  • Add folders to the "App & Website Passwords" section. I want to keep my work logins separate from my personal ones.
  • Ability to generate a password from passwords setting page

Books:
  • Ability to delete "free" books obtained through the Apple Books store instead of hide them.

News:
  • Dedicated unified feed of all followed channels, with the articles and posts listed in chronological order.
  • Push notifications for all channels.
  • Support for RSS feeds.
  • Support for YouTube, Twitter, and Instagram feeds.

Reminders:
  • Widget displays reminders regardless of whether or not they have a date.
  • Ability to specify a certain list for widget.
  • Proximity alerts for entire lists. My grocery list, for example, could remind me when I'm near the grocery store.
  • Ability to set the default reminder time.
  • Proximity alerts on specified days.

Photos:
  • Ability to either allow notifications for "On this Day" moments for Photos, or even better, the ability to add it to the "Good Morning" lock screen.
  • Live Photos album.
  • Smart albums like in the Photos app for macOS.
  • Shared photo albums.
  • Automatic lens corrections: Lens distortion specific to the iPhone model should be automatically corrected when the (HEIC or JPEG) photo is captured and saved.
  • Shared photo libraries (Family Sharing).
  • Shared folders for shared albums.

Phone:
  • The ability to dismiss incoming calls.
  • The ability to set the incoming call notification alert style to banner.
  • The phone favorites widget displays darker version of emojis. Normal appearance of emojis would be preferred.

TV app:

• The Apple "TV" app feels pretty bare bones. There's no way for me to add my favorite movies and TV shows to a list, or movie and TV shows I want to watch later to a watch list. The "Up Next" list feels very temporary, as in content I want to literally watch next instead of at some point.
  • Push notifications for newly available TV shows and new movie releases.

Apple Card:

• Joint accounts.
  • Budgeting tools (notifications when I am reaching or have reached a category spending limit).

iOS 13 - Concept by Álvaro Pabesio

https://www.behance.net/gallery/80675205/iOS-13-Concept-by-Alvaro-Pabesio

Everything in this concept looks great, but more specifically:

• Expandable folders inside the dock.
  • File stacks.
  • Files app sidebar.
  • Separate message threads incorporate new styling (button aesthetic).
  • Reminders: Today, Scheduled
  • Shared tasks.
  • Larger contact profile photos.
  • Friends appear in Maps app.

Persisting iPhone Bugs (some since iOS 10)

Music:
  • When listening to a playlist song in shuffle mode, if I delete it, instead of shuffling to another song, it plays the last song I listened to. Please make it so that it shuffles to a random song.

Accessibility:
  • With the zoom feature in accessibility enabled, tap on the screen three times with three fingers to open the zoom settings. When you tap on one of the menu items ("Choose Region," for example), then tap outside the menu to exit, the text appears to overlap other text briefly. Does this with when tapping out of any of those menu items.

Notes:
  • I have a note with text and images that I would like to share with a friend. However, when I select the option to export the note as a PDF, it only lets me export the first image.

• The Notes app crashes when pasting a large amount of text.

• Accuracy when adjusting document scan corners is virtually impossible because you can't see under your finger.

Phone Favorites:
  • When adding a contact's FaceTime Audio or Video phone number to favorites, and their contact card contains multiple FaceTime-compatible numbers (i.e., personal and work), you're given just one option to select from — FaceTime. Tapping the selected "FaceTime" option from Favorites will contact all FaceTime-compatible numbers in the contact card. You should be given the option to select the number you want to add as the favorite.

• In Phone Favorites, there is no way to determine the phone numbers or email addresses associated with added favorites. It just displays iPhone, or FaceTime, for example. The contact details should be displayed with the favorites. You can tap on the “i” next to a favorite, which takes you to the corresponding contact card, but if that contact has multiple phone numbers and/or email addresses, you still have no way of knowing which one is assigned to which favorite.

Reminders:
  • If I accidentally complete a reminder, I can go back and remove the completion “check,” and the reminder will return to my list of uncompleted items but then my reminders list will have two instances of that reminder if I have it set to repeat — the upcoming instance (which I unmarked as completed), as well as the next instance of that reminder. So, I have the two of the same reminder for two separate dates. I would like my list to look the same as it did before I tapped on complete reminder — just the one reminder, and not the upcoming reminder as well as the one that comes after that (for a repeating reminder).

Keyboard:
  • If I add an international keyboard, my iPhone automatically installs the dictionary for the language. But, if I delete the keyboard, the dictionary file remains. My iPhone should prompt me if I would also like to remove the dictionary file as well, for any particular language for which I'm removing the keyboard.

Dictionary:
  • After manually removing saved dictionaries from my iPhone, the Dictionary list is no longer in Alphabetical order. For example, I installed the Japanese dictionary, then deleted it, but instead of returning it to its proper place after Italian and before Korean, it stayed near the top of the list. It would be more polished, I think, if it could return to alphabetical order.

Calendar:
  • As an example, a calendar is named "Jack & Jill". I can select the calendar when creating an event, and it looks fine... but if I edit an event, the calendar name is displayed as "Jack & Jill".

iOS:
  • When you go to “Wallet & Apple Pay” in “Settings”, then tap on email or phone (under “Transaction Defaults”), “My iCloud” is spelled as “My Iphone,” and “My iCloud” is spelled as “My Icloud”.

iOS 13 Bugs

Share Menu:
  • When sending a text message via the share menu (Safari, for example), if I'm using dark mode and I share a Memoji, it shares it with a white background. If I share one from the Messages app itself, the background is black, as it should be.

Reminders:
  • When scrolling through Reminders lists, more often than not, I will start editing an item rather than scrolling. Touch feels a little too sensitive in this app.

• When creating a new Reminders list, you can't scroll down to view all icon options.

iOS 13 Feature Requests

Reminders:
  • A default setting to auto expand or collapse groups when opening the app.

• "Expand all" and Collapse all" buttons in the main page and within lists.

• In the Change List window (reminder > details > list), display group structure to help in identifying desired lists.

• Send push notifications for completed items in shared folders (or even when items are added, modified, or deleted).

Maps:
  • Filter functionality to sort favorites within Collections by Yelp rating.

• When adding a new favorite, Maps should display cities for the places returned in the search to help in choosing the correct one.

• Ability to rearrange Favorite folders.

• "Clear all" button for recently viewed locations.

Notes:
  • Ability to search note bodies (not just note titles).

Find My:
  • Add a "Find My" widget for easy access when finding a friend, like the "Find My Friends" widget in iOS 12.

Photos:
  • Touch and drag scroll bar functionality.

Last edited:
Reactions: sniffies

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
We need pro apps. Photoshop will be nice but we need all of adobe and autodesk apps.

that's not an iOS issue not even an Apple one but a developer one.

now if you wanna talk about how there's no mention of improving that joke they call iMovie for iOS, that's at least Apple's software
[doublepost=1560478158][/doublepost]
I suggest adding the following to your mail list:

• Add Priority flag
  • Add Read Receipt

I've been waiting for these forever...

can we finally use groups in Mail for iOS (as in address something to a group from our contacts and it autofills all the appropriate emails)

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden

I'd very much argue that it's an iOS issue. iOS just isn't powerful enough to support many pro applications. There are OS features missing. At best we can get simplified version lacking some or a lot of features.

I think there's good reason that Final Cut Pro X and Logic Pro X isn't available for the iPad. Apple knows it's not going to be a good user experience and that it won't be fully compatible with the macOS versions.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I'd very much argue that it's an iOS issue. iOS just isn't powerful enough to support many pro applications. There are OS features missing. At best we can get simplified version lacking some or a lot of features.

I think there's good reason that Final Cut Pro X and Logic Pro X isn't available for the iPad. Apple knows it's not going to be a good user experience and that it won't be fully compatible with the macOS versions.

I would say it isn't really iOS not being powerful enough, my assumption is that it is more that iOS does not allow app developers the freedom they would need to make truly powerful apps.

alex00100

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Moscow, Russia
No. Look at what Sony does in the game console market. They created the ps4 which in the beginning had a tiny user base and therefore no one wanted to develop for it. To solve the issue Sony made their own AAA games and payed other developers to make great stuff for it and that led to increased market ownership for the console and attracted more developers. Apple has more than enough money to simply pay Adobe to bring those apps even if it doesn't make sense financially for Adobe.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I was pretty disappointed that we didn’t see any of the missing iPhone apps make their way to the iPad. Specifically Weather, Health/Activity, Wallet, and Phone. I was thinking we would since Voice Memos and Stocks made their way over last year. Hopefully it’s something they’re working on.

Other than that, I was also hoping to see all live TV streams from streaming services (like Vue, Directv Now, etc) viewable/watchable from directly in the TV app.

I also was hoping for the Clock apps to be synced via iCloud so that timers/alarms go off everywhere and can be dismissed on any device.

I also wanted to have all devices connected to your iCloud account to show up in the Battery widget, and for all devices to show in Now Playing, not just Airplay 2 targets (so that I can control my iPhone’s playback via my iPad, etc).

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Several things I am blown away Apple still hasn't addressed and revised;

- Phone app, come on it feels like it's a decade old and way past due for update. Full screen incoming call is unacceptable, it should pop up as a banner heads up notification, with the options to decline, accept, or send a text. And T9 dialer, come on already, when I start typing an area code, contacts should start popping up immediately. The Phone app seems stuck in 2009 not 2019.

- Moving app icons anywhere on the screen. This is crazy, that Apple still does not allow you to place an app icon anywhere you'd like. Maybe I want my most used apps at the bottom of the screen right above the dock, for easier access to tap, as opposed to being forced to have them start at the top and go in a row all the way down.

- AoD, Always on Display would be nice.

- Default app settings, maybe I don't want Safari as my default browser, let me the user decide.

- Themes, it's a not a deal breaker, but would be nice to allow some customization, like a different icon pack, to change up the same old style iOS has had for years.

Last edited:

RadioHedgeFund

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2018
The most annoying thing was the changes to 3D Touch. The haptic replacement, at least at the minute is terrible. It takes longer to get the pop up and it doesn’t do the ‘pressure’ animation anymore, just a cheap vibrate.

superstarmc

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
The most annoying thing was the changes to 3D Touch. The haptic replacement, at least at the minute is terrible. It takes longer to get the pop up and it doesn’t do the ‘pressure’ animation anymore, just a cheap vibrate.

Does anyone have a problem with google play music not working?

Zimmy68

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
I just installed ios13 on my iPad Pro this afternoon. I'm loving everything but then I launched the Music app.
It looks just as bad as it did on the original iPad.
No real portrait support, ugly interface, now playing in a little window.
I'm always amazed at how they continue to ignore it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.