Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stayfly2407

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
VA
Last year I camped at the Verizon store over night. Only 5 people in line but it was November, cold and not many people to talk to so boring. This year it should be warmer, thinking about camping at Apple. Who else??

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
This year it should be warmer, thinking about camping at Apple. Who else??

I was just wondering if the upcoming iPhone Xs release is going to be like an iPhone 4 or iPhone 5 launch, with large lines and waits. Now that the X has matured a bit and with several improved models, I think the lines will be there.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
They have this thing called the internet now. You can reserve your phone from the comfort of a nice warm bed and have it delivered right to your front door. ;):D

but you have too be home or some one else have too be home too singe for the pack thats the only down side of that lol

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
They have this thing called the internet now. You can reserve your phone from the comfort of a nice warm bed and have it delivered right to your front door.
A lot of people want to pick it up, versus waiting around all day for deliveries. Also, package theft is a real concern for those who won't or can't be home.

Reactions: rafark

Europa13

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
They have this thing called the internet now. You can reserve your phone from the comfort of a nice warm bed and have it delivered right to your front door. ;):D
I’ve had good luck preordering through Apple with launch-day delivery every year except last year. I was preauthorized with the Apple upgrade program and started trying to order the moment they went on preorder, but server overload caused me to not get launch-day delivery (it was 2-3 weeks within minutes of the App Store opening). I didn’t want to wait that long, so I cancelled the order and got one at an Apple Store. Some people don’t mind waiting, but a lot of us like to have them at launch and don’t get in the first wave of delivery.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I never camped but had great fun standing in line to get my iPhone 5 and the original iPad back in the day. People were friendly and excited. It felt like the future.

Reactions: jr866gooner

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
but you have too be home or some one else have too be home too singe for the pack thats the only down side of that lol

A lot of people want to pick it up, versus waiting around all day for deliveries. Also, package theft is a real concern for those who won't or can't be home.

Is sitting in the comfort of your own home waiting for a delivery really less convenient than camping outside a store overnight?

You could also have it delivered to your workplace or wherever you’ll be during the day.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Last year I camped at the Verizon store over night. Only 5 people in line but it was November, cold and not many people to talk to so boring. This year it should be warmer, thinking about camping at Apple. Who else??

This is one thing I’d love to experience. Not only just wait in line for the phone on launch day but camping out in the US would be awesome!!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

If somebody plans on having $1000 iPhone delivered to their door, then I would use better judgment in making sure someone else is there to sign for it at the residence or have it shipped to your workplace, or have it held at the hub of the delivery service.

Reactions: Azzin

Stayfly2407

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
VA
Or people just like the Apple experience on launch day. Hanging out with a bunch of people that have the same interest as you, Apple bringing out breakfast from Starbucks, free t-shirts, the news, I don’t want to preorder. I like recording the whole experience or in this day and age, go “live”.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC

Or you could have it held at your local UPS hub and pick it up as soon as they open in the morning which is what I always do.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Or people just like the Apple experience on launch day. Hanging out with a bunch of people that have the same interest as you, Apple bringing out breakfast from Starbucks, free t-shirts, the news, I don’t want to preorder. I like recording the whole experience or in this day and age, go “live”.

I support whatever someone wants to do if they want to line up days in adVance to have the newest iPhone, there’s nothing wrong with that. Although I can’t say any Apple stores in my state give away free breakfast, T-shirts or anything of that matter, at least from what I have never heard of. Maybe other Apple stores have, I certainly don’t think that’s the norm for all locations.

Last edited:

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
Different strokes for different folks.

I hate lines.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
I have not camped out in years. Typically preorder as soon as the preorders go live, then when they ship my iPhone, typically with UPS, I change the delivery to a pick up and I’m able to pick it up at the UPS CC when they open, 8AM.

That said, camping out was really fun when I did it. I did it a few times at the flagship here in NYC on 5th Avenue and there were thousands of people every time. Every time we passed the time speaking and meeting new people.

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Wait until March or April. That way you get a less buggy OS right off the bat and a second gen iPhone that has some of the manufacturing glitches worked out.

Reactions: bhodinut

chrisforpm

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2015
There is something almost magical about lining up for the phone. Like others have said, Apple makes it an experience. The anticipation, making new friends and finally walking into the store and holding it in your hands. It makes it all worth it.

I did it for the iPhone 4 and although I spent nearly 12 hours waiting for it, the atmosphere alone was worth the wait. The last time I did it was for the iPhone 5 and I’m actually thinking about doing it this year for the XS plus. I am doing a carrier upgrade and don’t trust preorders through mine.

Reactions: Stayfly2407

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
So instead of someone waiting around for a delivery being productive, they wait several hours outside a store for it to open. Makes sense. And that's assuming you even get the one you want.

Reactions: partyboy4357

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Errrr no I have a life! I’ll order online if I want one, the easy way where I don’t freeze on some highstreet pavement for a couple of days, with onlookers looking at me thinking I’m actually nuts.

Apple are not making this an experience, they are making it a giant ad campaign at your expense! It helps to sell more iPhones as it portrays their popularity. All Apple cares about is your ££££ or $$$$.

Reactions: partyboy4357

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Is sitting in the comfort of your own home waiting for a delivery really less convenient than camping outside a store overnight?

You could also have it delivered to your workplace or wherever you’ll be during the day.

Sitting in your home on a workday for a lot of people means wasting a vacation day to do so.

As far as shipping it to work, does Apple even ship it somewhere other than the billing address? And if they do, there's no guarantee that the delivery driver actually acknowledges that the address is a business and delivers before 5 PM or whatever...ask me how I know this, have had deliveries after close of business on a couple occasions. :|

I think the days of camping out are over, but it's pretty easy to go stand in line in the morning for a couple hours. Last year I went at around 6 AM and was maybe 10th in line, was out of there by 8:30 with my 8 and off to work.

Kiimora

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
That's just not gonna happen! I always have my :apple: devices delivered to work, where i don't have to personally sign for them and they get delivered to my desk.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Sitting in your home on a workday for a lot of people means wasting a vacation day to do so.

As far as shipping it to work, does Apple even ship it somewhere other than the billing address? And if they do, there's no guarantee that the delivery driver actually acknowledges that the address is a business and delivers before 5 PM or whatever...ask me how I know this, have had deliveries after close of business on a couple occasions. :|

I think the days of camping out are over, but it's pretty easy to go stand in line in the morning for a couple hours. Last year I went at around 6 AM and was maybe 10th in line, was out of there by 8:30 with my 8 and off to work.

Well, like I and others have said, there's the option of having it delivered to your work or held at a local hub. And of course, for some camping requires time off work too. If you're just talking about going at 6am and leaving at 8am, I don't think that really qualifies as "camping". That's just waiting in line. I take "camping" to mean the people who wait over night. I don't know if it's still a thing, but don't people camp outside of Apple Stores for like 24 hours or more?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.