Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HM Apple

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Pre order online with launch day Apple store pickup for me. Camping is no longer what it used to be, as the scalpers and their crews (Scampers) and their tactics have ruined the inline experience at Apple retail stores. Smaller carrier stores are probably OK for camping.

Reactions: Lyn2012

Jimpilot

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
No
My Apple store is closed for renovations o_O

I’m in the IUP so I guess it’s a 2AM get up for me

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I did camp twice 5/6
6S/7/8 preorder pickup :D

waiting inline smell fart :eek: >>dont play that again :)

Shouldn't have been standing behind me then.
[doublepost=1535927608][/doublepost]
Yep me and about 99.99999999999% of the population who order online apparently! Sorry but a T-shirt and Starbucks would be NO incentive whatsoever to stand in line for days. SMH

Last year I went to my local Apple store (Annapolis, MD) a day after release and joined a line of about four people. Cancelled my online order (it was delivering late) and picked up the model I wanted (iPhone X, space gray, 256GB). Total time spent? Maybe ten minutes.

I normally do preorder and pick it up in the morning at my local UPS hub.

Reactions: Stayfly2407

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I prefer to order it online and while it's enroute depending on if it's Fedex or UPS, I always select hold for pick up and I will go and pick it up at my own convenience on launch day.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
I prefer to order it online and while it's enroute depending on if it's Fedex or UPS, I always select hold for pick up and I will go and pick it up at my own convenience on launch day.
Too bad carriers won’t allow hold for pickup.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Pre order online with launch day Apple store pickup for me. Camping is no longer what it used to be, as the scalpers and their crews (Scampers) and their tactics have ruined the inline experience at Apple retail stores. Smaller carrier stores are probably OK for camping.

You’re absolutely correct. Scalpers _have_ always been a problem, but it’s getting worse where they are trying to defeat the system by purchasing phones, and then they will go to multiple Apple stores in a city to do this or work in cells. UnFortunately there is not much to combat scalpers, the only thing Apple really can do is just limit what they can purchase in store for iPhones.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
You’re absolutely correct. Scalpers _have_ always been a problem, but it’s getting worse where they are trying to defeat the system by purchasing phones, and then they will go to multiple Apple stores in a city to do this or work in cells. UnFortunately there is not much to combat scalpers, the only thing Apple really can do is just limit what they can purchase in store for iPhones.

The one way to end scalping is for people to stop being stupid and paying scalpers way more than the retail price of the phone just so they can get it sooner. Stop making scalping so profitable for them.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The one way to end scalping is for people to stop being stupid and paying scalpers way more than the retail price of the phone just so they can get it sooner. Stop making scalping so profitable for them.

I agree. Once September 21 arrives when the new iPhones debut, you will have scalpers who will take the latest iPhones, sell them on eBay for more than 3/4 times the cost and you will have those buyers who will pay to have it. It’s really a vicious cycle in so many ways, and I know Apple is aware of it, but it’s a difficult situation to combat. It Happens with every Apple product, more specifically the iPhone. I remember when the Apple Watch first launched in April 2015, it was ridiculous what buyers were paying the scalpers for more than 5/6 times the cost of the Apple Watch to have it early.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Last year I camped at the Verizon store over night. Only 5 people in line but it was November, cold and not many people to talk to so boring. This year it should be warmer, thinking about camping at Apple. Who else??
https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/iphone-launch-meetups.131/
[doublepost=1535959058][/doublepost]
I’ve had good luck preordering through Apple with launch-day delivery every year except last year. I was preauthorized with the Apple upgrade program and started trying to order the moment they went on preorder, but server overload caused me to not get launch-day delivery (it was 2-3 weeks within minutes of the App Store opening). I didn’t want to wait that long, so I cancelled the order and got one at an Apple Store. Some people don’t mind waiting, but a lot of us like to have them at launch and don’t get in the first wave of delivery.
I’m on the iUP currently with my launch day 8+, hoping for a nice smooth transition to an X+.
[doublepost=1535959290][/doublepost]
Or people just like the Apple experience on launch day. Hanging out with a bunch of people that have the same interest as you, Apple bringing out breakfast from Starbucks, free t-shirts, the news, I don’t want to preorder. I like recording the whole experience or in this day and age, go “live”.
I agree. I did an early morning queue (7am ish) for the iPhone 4 at the Apple Store in Regent Street in London.

I haven’t done it since, as the queues have increased too much for my liking, but I totally get why people do it, it was a really positive experience.
[doublepost=1535959405][/doublepost]
partyboy4357 said:
I always thought those campers were oddballs with their priorities out of wack.

You thought wrong.

Last edited:

VantaNoir

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2017
I think the go to trend nowadays is to pre-order at midnight then either pick it up in store on launch day or wait for it in the mail, unless you like wasting your time, but to each their own if you absolutely have to.

Mordegano

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2018
Barcelona
If i can't preorder with pickup on store.I think I'll probably queue. One day before launch. So 5:00 AM day 20 sept.

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
Last year I camped at the Verizon store over night. Only 5 people in line but it was November, cold and not many people to talk to so boring. This year it should be warmer, thinking about camping at Apple. Who else??
Unless the person with interest has non iPhone X and wants to get the iPhone X Spawn / X”S”, camping is not necessary. After all, it is a “spawn” or second generation year, which should not b a big deal for anyone who has the parent or first generation. Th same design with some minor internal and size improvements. Nothing too exciting. For socializing may be a reason to do so.

Reactions: Mordegano

Jimpilot

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
No
Unless the person with interest has non iPhone X and wants to get the iPhone X Spawn / X”S”, camping is not necessary. After all, it is a “spawn” or second generation year, which should not b a big deal for anyone who has the parent or first generation. Th same design with some minor internal and size improvements. Nothing too exciting. For socializing may be a reason to do so.
I agree no need to get up early to order. There will be plenty.
Note: This opinion may be influenced by my desire to get an X+ on launch day

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Only 5 people in line
Why?

I think ordering from the comfort of your own home is better. Heck, I got the iPhone X on launch day, by ordering it on launch day. I didn't even opt for any sort of pre-order.

For me, I take the attitude, its just a phone, pure and simple, and the this next phone that apple is rolling out, will doing what the old phone did and not much else ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
I don’t mean to sound rude but camping outside for an iPhone seems so antiquated now. There really is no need for it these days although I guess I can understand wanting the thrill and experience of it. It’s definitely not for an introverted guy like me who hates people though. Much rather sit in the comfort of my own home without all that noise.
[doublepost=1535975568][/doublepost]
Wait until March or April. That way you get a less buggy OS right off the bat and a second gen iPhone that has some of the manufacturing glitches worked out.

But by that time rumours of the next iPhone that isn’t just an ‘s’ cycle with way more interesting features will be running rampant and you will feel like you should hold off for just a few months until September.

Last edited:

Jimpilot

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
No
Why?

I think ordering from the comfort of your own home is better. Heck, I got the iPhone X on launch day, by ordering it on launch day. I didn't even opt for any sort of pre-order.

For me, I take the attitude, its just a phone, pure and simple, and the this next phone that apple is rolling out, will doing what the old phone did and not much else ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It’s just a phone. ;) Crazy talk

Guda.FL

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2015
I guess it also depends on location right? My local att store maybe has 5-10 people in line at most at any given release and even then the line forms 20m before the store opens or something like that...it is fun to see and meet apple fans.

Some even walk in the afternoon and pick one up whilst other cities and locations see 1-3 day lineups.

ShadiLo

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2018
Apollo Beach, FL
as crazy as it may seem, camping out has sort of become a tradition in a way haha. I just love being a part of the first release experience and being around other people all interested in the same product. luckily the release dates always end up being on days im already off work so that helps as well. just bring a few chairs, my laptop and hangout! I've met some very cool people over the years

Reactions: Blueline29

Guda.FL

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2015
as crazy as it may seem, camping out has sort of become a tradition in a way haha. I just love being a part of the first release experience and being around other people all interested in the same product. luckily the release dates always end up being on days im already off work so that helps as well. just bring a few chairs, my laptop and hangout! I've met some very cool people over the years

It was the same with me and my friend, we had fun pre i5 days, had the whole morning and day planned out. Unboxing and setting up phones was as fun as getting inside and purchasing them. It felt that there were more significant changes by each phones release. 6s to 8 were too similar to do this.

ShadiLo

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2018
Apollo Beach, FL
It was the same with me and my friend, we had fun pre i5 days, had the whole morning and day planned out. Unboxing and setting up phones was as fun as getting inside and purchasing them. It felt that there were more significant changes by each phones release. 6s to 8 were too similar to do this.
Yea I agree! im hoping the new model(s) will have something over the top that will bring back that excitement . we will see!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.