Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Last year I camped at the Verizon store over night. Only 5 people in line but it was November, cold and not many people to talk to so boring. This year it should be warmer, thinking about camping at Apple. Who else??
I'm surprised anybody does this anymore. It used to be fun, but now anymore. Plus it's way easier to get a phone on launch day at my front door.

Reactions: jbizzybeetle

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
No body want to do it ya ...:eek:

1/ lazy
2/ waiting so long
3/ limited stock
4/ apple huge company now , they cant let customer standing like that ,:D

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I haven't waited in line at an Apple store since the 4S. I also haven't gotten an iPhone on launch day since that iPhone. I'm most likely skipping this years iPhones.

Reactions: Sackofnickels

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
Apple system change
everything 1 touch buy now
easy transfer payment and easy organize

why they have to let people waiting like that again :cool:

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Why would you wait online . Apple and all the carriers have internet purchase available.
Waiting on line is a waste of time...……………...think about it.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
Why would you wait online . Apple and all the carriers have internet purchase available.
Waiting on line is a waste of time...……………...think about it.
Some people enjoy the experience so to them, it's NOT a waste of their time. Think about that.
Personally I wouldn't do it, but if others want to, it's no skin off my back.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
People will wait in line if they sell their phones a few day earlier to get maximum return and are then unable to submit an order that gets them in to the first tranche of deliveries. Order times can slip quickly to weeks if you don't get your order in within the first few minutes

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
Last year I camped at the Verizon store over night. Only 5 people in line but it was November, cold and not many people to talk to so boring. This year it should be warmer, thinking about camping at Apple. Who else??
A lot of people want to pick it up, versus waiting around all day for deliveries. Also, package theft is a real concern for those who won't or can't be home.
So get it delivered to the shop, walk in and collect it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Honestly all of these phones should be readily available even for walk in customers.

Maybe. I question the 6.1 LCD availability being its price point will be the biggest factor. But the reality is, does Apple have adequate stock for _All_ 2018 iPhone models, or are some more limited than others. Also, I also find every Apple store varies on stock from my experience.

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
Camping out for an iPhone is a game for the young, being almost 50, I can wait. Though I did pre-order the first iPad and was able to pick it up in store on launch day. It did feel good to get accolades and cheers when I walked out poorer lol.

Reactions: Stayfly2407

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
I have done camping twice once at a Apple Store in a mall, where I stood in line from 5 PM till they opened the next day and once at a Verizon store at 3 AM where there were 2 people ahed of me and I prefer to order online since its easier and now my local Apple Store won't allow people to line up till the morning. Its easier to order online at midnight and just wait for UPS or Fedex to come with the boxes.

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
No body want to camp in 2018

they rather stay home using iphone 8Plus
than buying iphone XS just wait 5,000 people ahead , :)

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
iphonelinestwitter-1.jpg

Who want buy iphone XS and waiting like this ??? :cool::p:p

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I'm actually camping tomorrow..
Very excited to get outdoors and enjoy a few days.

oh..
...you mean in front of a store for an iPhone..

No.
Never.

They'd have to be offering the only bottles of water after a global emergency for me to even think about it.

Krayzkat

Suspended
Apr 22, 2011
This thread is a whole lot funnier if you think of the other meaning of camping as walking about gay-ly, limp waisted and all, mincing about.

Somebody should make a Youtube series about camping at the Apple store

Guda.FL

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2015
It's a cool time for some, shouldn't be judged. I do however feel that it depends on where you are and live. Last 2-4 years have been a downer, I usually pass by the lines on way to work and its a different crowd now. Before it was all fans, along with great talk and experience. Friend that still does it - tells me its more weirdos and elderly people. But then again it's location based.

I remember one year there was a group camping few years back near my local store, for 5 days. After they go in, regular folks walked in after getting their morning coffee and walked out with phones.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
This picture that you’re using referencing People standing in lines was *not* for an iPhone launch, that was for a store opening in Chongqing, China. Totally two different things.

A few years ago, I saw a line like that inside the Pentagon Row shopping complex. It was massive and had security tending to the line. What were these hundreds of people waiting for?

A new popcorn shop had just opened up.

partyboy4357

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2017
In 2008 through 2010 the iPhone was new and revolutionary. Not so much anymore.

If I'm going to camp nowadays it's at a lake near my house. Much better view. AND, there is no cell service up there. Take that with ya.

Exactly! Not sure how these people can’t see that distinction.

SHKLMRE

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
Pennsylvania
I used to camp out for every iPhone up until the iPhone 7. This year, I will just order online and hopefully do in-store pick up. Coming is fun and all, but it gets tiring after a few years

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
Apple store will have some walk in buy but i wont do that ,>> better make preorder and pickup in store instead delivery >> cauz i live aprtment , :)

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
If one is planning on waiting in line at a Apple Store, you should check with your local store if they still allow it because my local store used to but the mall changed their policy so they no longer allow people to wait in line over night.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.