Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Who’s going caseless with the 12 Pro Max?

• 1) Case

Votes: 176 58.9%
  • 2) Caseless

Votes: 123 41.1%

• Total voters

jonboyspencer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2019
Getting the 12 Pro Max in Pacific Blue on Friday. With the 11 Pro Max, I used the leather forest green case from Apple, but this time around I’m considering going caseless on the 12 Pro Max.

Interested to hear what other people are doing...

xxBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2020
for the most time I'll do. For city trips I will use the leather case and for gym the silicon case from apple.

denisej

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2014
Illinois
I've had every IPhone since the very first one and I'll be going without a case for the first time ever. I did purchase Applecare+. I may put a skin on to keep it from being so slippery and help with the fingerprints on the sides.

Reactions: Jovijoker and CVUSA

Knightimer

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area
I'm going to go with a minimalistic clear case, such as Peel or Totalee. I did caseless years ago and my phone lasted before I traded it in. However, I did get a lot of minor scratches and finger prints all over the glass and it didn't look too good. Also, the reason for the case, I need a little bit of grip for my hand and/or simple laying the phone on the table. With that said, I think naked looks great as the iPhone is a work of art and showing it off is a must.

Nik73

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
UK
Definitely caseless.

Would be such a shame to wrap the pretty phone in something else.

I’ve been caseless with my XS max and 11 pro max. These phones are too nice to hide away, plus not as slippery!
I’ve had a few drops, but no serious damage. My 11 pro max only has a small dent on the side and is otherwise immaculate, including the screen.

Remington Steel

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2016
Nope...never.....I always initially order a clear case until it starts to turn yellow, then I usually order an Apple Leather case. I like to keep my phones looking "pristine". It looks like the leather case for the 12 PM now covers the entire bottom of the phone from the pics.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
I'm still debating. I've used my phones with and without cases. Usually I get cases for two reasons:
  • Better grip. The damn things are often so slippery.
  • Added functionality: In the past I've gotten cases for functions like a built in kickstand, or for embedded magnets (Pitaka) kind like MagSafe.
This year, I ordered a silicon case and a leather case. I'll try the phone with and without cases so see how I feel about it. I'm thinking the silicon case will have several benefits:
  • Added friction for better grip, and better mounting to things like MagSafe car mounts.
  • The raised lip on the case will keep my camera lenses from contacting the table I set it on.
Will need to see which material I like best naked, silicon, leather.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Cases here. Phone is worth a lot of money so I need to protect it. Already have silicone cases. Just waiting til Friday for new phone.

jonboyspencer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2019
I got the Baltic blue case in preparation for the Max. I’ll wait to see whether I’m going to go caseless or not.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
A case and screen protector can help in the event of a fall also I noticed that the stainless steel sides of the Pro get smudged as well as fingerprints easily and doesn’t really look good

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I just can't imagine going case free with all the lint that my pants collect. I'm a back pocket guy and I've never been brave enough to go case free. Plus, I love that I can just swap out screen protecters when they get some scratches.

Complex757

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2016
Switch between clear and a apple leather

I don't link scratches and dings on my phone

mquinn

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2012
Normal, IL
I've always used a case, but only out of necessity of grip. I'm hoping the square edges are more grippy and therefore, won't need a case. Or, only use a case around the edges to raise the screen/camera bump off a table.

Reactions: Saturn1217
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.