Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Who’s going caseless with the 12 Pro Max?

• 1) Case

Votes: 176 58.9%
  • 2) Caseless

Votes: 123 41.1%

• Total voters

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
I’m assuming all of you that are going caseless don’t have small children. I wish I could but the screen will crack if my 2 year old looks at ii funny. I also got a very eager 4 year old who likes to pretend he is a baseball player, and throw random things across the room cellphones are included. I always order a pink otterbox whenever I get a new phone.
That sounds hilarious!

Whenever I see a naked phone I get anxiety lol. I always go for the best protection with an Otterbox Defender. I don’t even like the feel of a naked phone, a case makes it feel better in the hand
You betray your username lol

Aspyred

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2020
I used Slickwraps once. Once. Would not again. The skin did not feel good, didn’t go on too nicely, didn’t even look too awesomely when it was on.

Sorry, don’t know of a company with clear skins to recommend. I have liked Totallee for their super thin clear cases, if that might appeal to you.
Thanks for the info and honesty. I really like the stainless steel band on the iPhone 12 Pro’s, Apple did an excellent job with the coating.

But it is slippery and is a fingerprint magnet as all the reviews have alleged. Wish I could find a good clear skin on the stainless steel band/sides to preserve Apple’s great work but also add some extra grip.

Reactions: happy orchard

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
No case. I always have been caseless.
I did try recently and I noticed I dropped my phone more with the case. I feel like I get clumsy with a case as apposed to more aware without one.

Reactions: Christopher Kim

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
So I bought this case: https://www.totalleecase.com/products/iphone-12-pro-max-case?variant=32511756992574

And will be trying it out tomorrow. Got the same one in the Mini size for my wife's new iPhone.

But I am more tempted this year than ever to go naked. First, I have AppleCare+ with the iPhone Upgrade Program. Second, my youngest child is now 4 and definitely knows not to touch daddy's iPhone and is good about it. In years past it was really pushing my luck to not have a case. Third, the iPhone this year is stronger. The thing I worry about most is the back glass or camera area that protrudes, especially on the Max where it sticks way out and is bigger than ever. But even so I guess it's only $99 to fix. That case after using a promo code was in the $33 range, so still saving money, but even though it's one of the thinnest clear cases out there it will still add some bulk and put a little damper on that beautiful design.

So yeah, I guess I'll have to wait and see. I work from home now (who doesn't) and with skyrocketing virus cases in the US, I won't be busting this out much in public so there are fewer chances to drop onto concrete or something. But I have some pretty tough tile in both of my kitchens so that's a concern.

Reactions: mquinn

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
So I bought this case: https://www.totalleecase.com/products/iphone-12-pro-max-case?variant=32511756992574

And will be trying it out tomorrow. Got the same one in the Mini size for my wife's new iPhone.

But I am more tempted this year than ever to go naked. First, I have AppleCare+ with the iPhone Upgrade Program. Second, my youngest child is now 4 and definitely knows not to touch daddy's iPhone and is good about it. In years past it was really pushing my luck to not have a case. Third, the iPhone this year is stronger. The thing I worry about most is the back glass or camera area that protrudes, especially on the Max where it sticks way out and is bigger than ever. But even so I guess it's only $99 to fix. That case after using a promo code was in the $33 range, so still saving money, but even though it's one of the thinnest clear cases out there it will still add some bulk and put a little damper on that beautiful design.

So yeah, I guess I'll have to wait and see. I work from home now (who doesn't) and with skyrocketing virus cases in the US, I won't be busting this out much in public so there are fewer chances to drop onto concrete or something. But I have some pretty tough tile in both of my kitchens so that's a concern.
I go halfway sort of. I get the Apple leather case to cover edges, back, and cameras. no screen protector or AC

jonboyspencer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2019
So now people have started getting their 12 Pro Maxes in their hands, what’s the general vibe? Any people that initially said no to a case & now changed their minds?

When mine arrived this morning as soon as I lifted it out of its box, it’s immediate fingerprint city round the shiny band.

Still haven’t decided whether to go with a case or not yet though...

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
Those who have gone caseless, how do you set your phone on a table? Camera side down?
I don't set it on hard surfaces (such as a table). I always set it on something comparatively soft (eg. a napkin, book, mouse pad, etc).

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
So now people have started getting their 12 Pro Maxes in their hands, what’s the general vibe? Any people that initially said no to a case & now changed their minds?

When mine arrived this morning as soon as I lifted it out of its box, it’s immediate fingerprint city round the shiny band.

Still haven’t decided whether to go with a case or not yet though...
The frosted back is slippery IMO. I feel way less confident now that I have it in my hands.

Using a Pitaka Air case. Just ordered a cheap silicone case off Amazon.

Kyletb21

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2019
I almost always use my phones caseless. But with the 12 Pro Max's size/weight combined with the squared off edges, it feels pretty uncomfortable in my (average sized) hands. So I'm using Apple's leather case at the moment.

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Caseless in the beginning but eventually I’ll use a case when I got used to this pretty new phone and have enough from looking at it hahaha I also just signed up the monthly Apple Care plan just in case cuz knowing me, I’ll drop it and have to still pay it off 20+ months. Nothing worse than that

Reactions: Hansana

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
I've never used a case, and I never will.

Yeah, I follow a few rules without exception. And I know most folks have no interest in doing the same (I don't blame them, haha), but it means I get to touch/see my super-high end phone every time I use it (which is every waking hour of every day) and still have it be pristine come time for the next years' upgrade.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040

I got the matte finish clear case from Totallee for my silver 12 Pro Max - have been using their cases for years and love the fact that they’re so thin, and they don’t change the overall shape / feel of the iPhone. It’s true on the 12 Pro Max too, although I am going to write them, as I can feel some sharp mold lines on the case that they need to improve on.

I may end up getting an Apple leather case, which is what my wife has on her 12 Pro, as I was surprised how thin and form fitting it was. I had a leather case for my 11PM, but it was just too bulky, compared to the Totallee case, that I only occasionally used the leather one when I wanted some drop protection.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Just so all of you know, I thought I was going to go caseless too but one week after owning my Iphone 12 Pro i dropped it from waste high and it fell on tile and scrapped/dented (yes dented) the stainless steel side. Although the screen was still flawless (kudos to that ceramic shield screen)

no more caseless for me, thankfully i have Apple care but still a costly ($100) mistake I will never make again.

By the way, this coming from someone that has never had a case on their phone ever (IP7, IP6, IP4s).

Reactions: dotzero123

jonboyspencer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2019
Just so all of you know, I thought I was going to go caseless too but one week after owning my Iphone 12 Pro i dropped it from waste high and it fell on tile and scrapped/dented (yes dented) the stainless steel side. Although the screen was still flawless (kudos to that ceramic shield screen)
no more caseless for me, thankfully i have Apple care but still a costly ($100) mistake I will never make again.

By the way, this coming from someone that has never had a case on their phone ever (IP7, IP6, IP4s).
Ouch!

Sorry to hear that. What case are you now going with?

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Ouch!

Sorry to hear that. What case are you now going with?

to be honest, just some cheapo $15 amazon one.

I previously just had a glass screen protector and I spent an embarrassing amount of time skinning my phone with Slickwraps, a lot of good that did :-/

I more or less wanted to just come in here and mention that even though they did "wonders" to making the screen really strong, the sides are VERY brittle, so BE CAREFUL!

jonboyspencer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2019
I’ve got the Baltic blue leather case from apple. Just something about going the official route.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.