Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Who’s going caseless with the 12 Pro Max?

• 1) Case

Votes: 176 58.9%
  • 2) Caseless

Votes: 123 41.1%

• Total voters

larzy

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
Denmark
No case here either - the phone is big enough as it is :) I'm waiting for my fitbag sleeve from Germany, which I keep the phone in when I'm on the move. And I'm hysterical with my Apple devices - so I always place my phone on the sleeve when laying it on the table :-D - what can I say, I try to take good care of my stuff and usually they look brand new when I sell them again. I know devices are meant to be used and not babied too much, but at this price I like to be careful. That's the price of using it without a case in my opinion.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
And how do you like it?
Dumped it after using it one day. The bumper is wide, the phone is narrow, it just felt awkward to hold, and still rather slippery. Rocking the Apple leather case since then and it hasn't come off my phone except to change screen protectors once.

johnnylarue

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2013
Given that the 12PM weighs about as much as a hardcover dictionary, I think I’d be more worried about injuring a foot if I dropped one of these things without a bit of padding on it to soften the blow. ?

• Haha
Reactions: Duncan68

LavenderBus

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2021
Dropped my 12 pro max two weeks after I got it. Around 2-3 feet drop from bed to wooden floor and it cracked already.

dotzero123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2018
Philadelphia Suburbs
Dropped my 12 pro max two weeks after I got it. Around 2-3 feet drop from bed to wooden floor and it cracked already.
I'm so sorry to hear that :confused:. My watch somehow fell off my nightstand a few weeks ago and I found it on the floor with a broken screen. AppleCare + fixed me up. I'd check with Apple Customer Service to see if they can help.

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
I always use a case and have bought the same 3 for the last couple of years. I don’t buy AC+ and like to keep my phones pristine.
1. Apple leather case (Apple) Protective, fairly thin and premium material
2. Caudabe lucid clear (Caudabe) Fairly protective, thin, can see the color/design of the phone
3. Tozo transparent black (Amazon) Thinnest of the bunch, surprisingly protective, less than $10

Reactions: yaboid01

LavenderBus

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2021
I'm so sorry to hear that :confused:. My watch somehow fell off my nightstand a few weeks ago and I found it on the floor with a broken screen. AppleCare + fixed me up. I'd check with Apple Customer Service to see if they can help.
Thanks! I went 4 years caseless with iPhone 6s Plus and dropped it once or twice and no crack. They said the screen supposed to be 4 times stronger on the 12, I should have at least put a screen protector.

Reactions: Barry O'Bummer

GrandeLatte

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2016
Dropped my 12 pro max two weeks after I got it. Around 2-3 feet drop from bed to wooden floor and it cracked already
That sucks. Do you have AppleCare? I would always use a clear case until I get the hang of a new phone. Once I understand how I uses it, if I drop it, then I might upgrade to a heavy duty case or no case. But going naked from the beginning scares me on such an expensive item.

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
No case. Phone is Max (haha) size for me already I can’t imagine making it bulkier in any such fashion.
Stopped using cases with the +’s I cannot imagine how unwieldy/heavy this thing would be.

Had a family member drop his 12 pro on the store floor the day after release, cracked the back. I did the same with my Max (and then many times after) it’s fine. Going caseless since the 6+ I can certainly attest to how much better the glass has gotten. I broke - a lot- of 6+/6S+ the glass started to really improve with the 7+. I remember the day I got my 8+ it fell six feet and was fine. I do make sure to get Applecare+, with the money I save not buying cases/screen protectors its usually a wash. People usually go through more than one case/glass protector and end up spending way more than they think avoiding insurance to ‘save money’.

Why they didn’t put the ceramic on both sides of the Pro models is anybody’s guess though. Probably the only thing that really pissed me off this year. For the 12’s fine, but the pros should have it on both sides. It’s a weird feeling to have my phone land on its face and be like “oh good it was the screen were fine”.

Last edited:
Reactions: MICHAELSD

daddyd302

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2012
West Allis, WI
I went with a bumper from Amazon. It's the closest thing to nake and having some protection. I can lay the phone down on it's back and front without having to worry about it getting scratches/damaged.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
I use my iPhone 12 Pro naked because it's just too beautiful to hide in a bumper case. Plus, I like holding the cold blue metal phone in my hand; something about it just feels right. But I am on the search for a nice sleeve to throw it into (Sena sleeve, Apple sleeve, etc.) Haven't found many out there unfortunately.

Canaria

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
Netherlands
I do make sure to get Applecare+, with the money I save not buying cases/screen protectors its usually a wash. People usually go through more than one case/glass protector and end up spending way more than they think avoiding insurance to ‘save money’.
Saving money is not the reason why I'm using a case and screen protector. I want to avoid scratches and dents, without having to be careful all the time. For more than superficial damage, I have AppleCare+.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I use my iPhone 12 Pro naked because it's just too beautiful to hide in a bumper case. Plus, I like holding the cold blue metal phone in my hand; something about it just feels right. But I am on the search for a nice sleeve to throw it into (Sena sleeve, Apple sleeve, etc.) Haven't found many out there unfortunately.
Sena makes high-quality leather sleeves. Blue leather would have looked amazing for the 12 series.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I feel comfortable using the 12 Pro Max case-less and I’m not concerned about it breaking especially since I haven’t dropped an iPhone in 13 years. I do hate when it gets dust on it though depending on where it’s placed, or if it falls out of my pocket while getting into the car.

I do think I’d consider using an Apple Silicone Case and attaching/detaching it whenever I leave the house. I‘ve also looked into the RhinoShield CrashGuard NX, which should be more than enough to provide drop protection.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Lucrin has them in just about every color you can think of. I went with the dark navy. It’s a great sleeve.
Looks great. In the pictures I prefer the grain of the Sena leather to be honest, though Lucien does offer a variety of options. Slightly expensive.

I’ve considered a pouch since that would solve my main concern of dust getting all over the phone, but taking it in and out is an extra step that makes it less convenient.

If I was keeping the phone (PWM headaches are still an issue for me) I would probably start with an Apple Silicone Case for peace of mind. The RhinoShield bumper is also a great choice since that would protect the stainless steel in the event of a drop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.