Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Who’s going caseless with the 12 Pro Max?

• 1) Case

Votes: 176 58.9%
  • 2) Caseless

Votes: 123 41.1%

• Total voters

DLyman

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
Rockford, IL
Looks great. In the pictures I prefer the grain of the Sena leather to be honest, though Lucien does offer a variety of options. Slightly expensive.

I’ve considered a pouch since that would solve my main concern of dust getting all over the phone, but taking it in and out is an extra step that makes it less convenient.

If I was keeping the phone (PWM headaches are still an issue for me) I would probably start with an Apple Silicone Case for peace of mind. The RhinoShield bumper is also a great choice since that would protect the stainless steel in the event of a drop.
They a a little expensive. I’m very happy with the one I bought.
The PWM headaches are not something I like to hear about. That has to be frustrating and at the same time a little bit scary. I’m sorry you have to go through that.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
They a a little expensive. I’m very happy with the one I bought.
The PWM headaches are not something I like to hear about. That has to be frustrating and at the same time a little bit scary. I’m sorry you have to go through that.
Thanks, I’m glad so many people on here know about it without a further explanation needed.

I absolutely love this phone and would enjoy picking out a case for it if only I didn’t get migraines from using it. The Apple Silicone Case is particularly nice this year.

Vaja has been selling handmade leather cases for a long time, and I think they look gorgeous even though they’re equally expensive.

DLyman

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
Rockford, IL
Thanks, I’m glad so many people on here know about it without a further explanation needed.

I absolutely love this phone and would enjoy picking out a case for it if only I didn’t get migraines from using it. The Apple Silicone Case is particularly nice this year.

Vaja has been selling handmade leather cases for a long time, and I think they look gorgeous even though they’re equally expensive.
No phone is worth going through those headaches. Hopefully you’ll find another phone that you like just as much.
I forgot about Vaja. I’ll have to check them out. Thanks for reminding me of them.

Reactions: MICHAELSD

Regeneration

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2015
For the first time ever I’m going caseless, just because I always dreamed to do it for some reason! I bought MagSafe wallet to go with my iPhone which gives it a nice grip and iPhone is way less slippery with it! I got a clear skin from XtremeSkins to go on the sides of my phone to avoid scratches on the gold stainless steel, it’s so pretty! The skin is literally invisible, I got one for a back too but I took it off!

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Both ways good. However keep in mind that stainless steel banding easily scratches as well as being a fingerprint magnet
When in doubt use a case

Reactions: Hal~9000

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
After using an iPhone 12 Pro Max case-less for about a month, I would add some sort of accessory for two reasons: 1. the phone grabs a lot of dust/lint in a pocket or even if it’s placed in the wrong spot, particularly around the camera lenses 2. the flat stainless steel attracts fingerprints quickly and becomes less flattering

I think ideally a bumper would be great, especially one with cut-outs that still showcase the stainless steel. Otherwise, a leather sleeve would solve all of these issues. I’m not particularly concerned about dropping an iPhone, especially if they were to add a Ceramic Shield on the back next year, although the one time my first-generation iPhone did fall was when I was putting it back into a Sena leather case.

areyes163

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I’m going no case. I do have the Apple wallet however. Personally I have been waiting for a flat screen phone since my iPhone 5. I cannot hide this phone. I love looking at it and love holding it with no case. If I break it I’ll just get another one. I’m willing to risk it on this phone. I’m enjoying the design of this one a ton. All of my previous phones have had cases on them though. Scratches don’t bother me that much. I’m careful with my phone and if it does get nicked I’ll deal with it.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Case for sure ?
  • The shiny steel band is a fingerprint magnet and looks gross after a few minutes of normal use.
  • Case will add just a tiny bit of curve to the sharp edges. Flat screen is a must but I prefer curved sides for holding.
  • Case allows for peace of mind in case of an accidental drop and saves me from having to buy AppleCare+ at $10/mo.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Getting the 12 Pro Max in Pacific Blue on Friday. With the 11 Pro Max, I used the leather forest green case from Apple, but this time around I’m considering going caseless on the 12 Pro Max.

Interested to hear what other people are doing...
You can get a clear silicone case from 3 or 4 pound from eBay. You can still see all the beauty of the phone, but it keeps it from slipping, it protects the back from scratches, and it protects it when falling on the ground. I would never use an expensive phone without that protection. I'd also not put an expensive phone into a case that hides it away.

Reactions: GrandeLatte

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I am curious how the RhinoShield CrashGuard feels.

I’ve felt a bumper is ideal since it protects the most vulnerable part of the phone (which is surprisingly the stainless steel) while still showcasing the back. I’ve heard complaints about it not being grippy enough and I wonder how much the added width affects usability.

Reactions: kp98077

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
Bit late, but this phone feels so good with no case, got a OB symmetry but it just ruins the feel. It’s no where as slippery as the 12 I have been using for 4 months, and smudges on the sides are 100% better than all over the back lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.