Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Who’s going caseless with the 12 Pro Max?

• 1) Case

Votes: 176 58.9%
  • 2) Caseless

Votes: 123 41.1%

• Total voters

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I am way too clumsy to go without a case! I used the LifrProof Next in my XS Max and using the same on my 12 Pro Max. I also always use a tempered glass screen protector. I broke the screen on one of my first iPhones and have used them ever since. Heck, the screen protector on my XS Mac is cracked so I’m glad it was that and not the screen itself! My new 12 Pro Max is at home, patiently waiting for me to get home from work!

LD Curb

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
USA
I wish I could but would be too nervous! The phone is a gorgeous piece of jewelry! Just stunning but with a clear case it isn't bad. The shiny silver rim shows up nicely through the case as does the beautiful white back. So, I'm happy with the set up.

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
This thing is a beauty and I’d love to go caseless but...no. It’s hefty, slick, and I’m clumsy af. It’s going into a case.

dotzero123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2018
Philadelphia Suburbs
I'm waffling between case/no case. Probably will cave after a few days and use a case like Totallee. I watched some of the drop/scratch tests online and it looks very promising, but not infallible.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Having used the 12 PM all day today, I absolutely will not be using it caseless. It is the most slippery back iPhone I have ever used in my 12 years of iPhone usage. Wow. This is slip-city on the frosted glass back. ?

Just a question if I will go skin or case now. I'm gonna try a few cases and I pre-ordered a DBrand skin today.

dwendz23

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2015
I’ve always gone caseless, but for some reason with this phone I don’t think I feel comfortable with that. I think it’s the weight and heftiness of it.

Reactions: vistokid

Winryito

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2015
i ran the iphone 11 pro max naked with only screen protector. i also have apple care+ but never used it once. Never dropped my phone and it looks brand new even the steel bands doesnt have any scratch on them and they were the silver stainless steel ones.

I plan to do the same thing with 12pm also with apple care+

Waterman316

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
I have the black  silicone case for my pro Max, but I have been naked since getting the phone, other than trying the case one for fit. Hasn’t been an issue, the square sides make the grip way easier. I will be using a case on it when I’m at work though. And I do have a screen protector on it.

psy_duck

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2018
I never put cases on my iPhones and definitely not putting one on my brand new gold 12 Pro Max! It is such a beaut, dont want to cover it up. Caseless is more satisfying for me IMO GL!

FooArk

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2011
I went careless yesterday and now my hands are sore. Its easier to hold, but the sharp edges are a strain

GrandeLatte

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2016
Just out of curiosity, since I've been browsing the Apple leather cases. Right now none of the colors really go with the gold pro max (they are all too winter-ish). Any chance Apple comes out with a new batch of colors sometime in the summer? Is this something they do?

Last edited:
Reactions: nikster0029

Ava*

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2017
Germany
I‘ve gone caseless (but always with a screen protector right out the box) with my Xs Max and 11 Pro for about 50% of the time. But the PM 12 is such a hefty piece of phone, wowza.. I put a cheap (and not very good) silicone case and a screen protector on it right away. Ordered two new ones. Will try through some different ones until I’m happy with it. It’s a shame having to hide this beauty, so I’ll probably use a clear case in the end.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I'm curious about the Apple silicone cases. Are they slippery or sticky? Is the material at all similar to the silicone sport band on the Apple Watch? That would seem to be kind of slippery for a phone case.

I was looking at the silicone and the leather at the Verizon store and they wouldn't let me open one to feel it. Sadly we don't have an Apple Store nearby so going there isn't an option. I have used a LifeProof Next on my last 3 phones and with this phone I just feel like it's too much wider than the phone, it makes it really bulky in a way that I never noticed with my other phones.

magnetic_electrique

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2019
Chicago
My 12 Pro Max arrives tomorrow. I’ve been rocking my 11 Pro Max case less since I’ve been working from home. I like the feel of the phone without a case. I don’t want to add more weight to the 12 Pro Max as it’s already a big boi. I may search on Amazon for a case.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
depends on the "occasion" lol... around house = caseless. Out and about, sometimes a case... or in this case a very THIN case.... Pitaka.. etc... any other THIIN case recommendations??

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX
I'm using an amazon case currently. I have AppleCare+ so will probably switch to careless eventually....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.