Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmdunn

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
You are the 2nd person to comment that the S10E doesn’t cause headaches but I find that odd as it uses a PWM frequency of 232Hz which is down there with the iPhone and the Lenovo laptop of mine. Curious how things effect people differently ‘eh I’m pretty sure if I used an S10E it would be torture for me headaches galore.

That's why I think that it has something to do with face ID ...
[automerge]1593651581[/automerge]
BTW ... I also used the Pixel 3a for 4 months and never had any issues. It also had an oled screen.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
It’s one of those things where it’s hard for some to take seriously when they are not affected. But for those of us affected, it sucks. I went from being a launch day adopter every year for 9 years straight, to now having had to use the 8 Plus since launch (hate the ratio of the 11).

There’s a 120 page thread on this topic where every test, remedy, theory, etc has been beaten to death. Bottom line, whether it’s Apple’s requirements for PWM, Face ID, or even a combination...there’s clearly something that affects about one in ten. But I don’t see a company like Apple losing sleep over the 10%, of which likely far, far less even know the cause of their headaches/strain.

Last edited:
Reactions: wmdunn

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
We may have some hope for next years iPhones. Supposedly the LTPO OLED in the Series 5 Apple Watch doesn’t use PWM and Apple is rumoured to be looking at using a LTPO screen in the 2021 iPhones. This would be amazing if true and would solve many people’s issues.

Basilornis

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2020
The s10e is likely a placebo effect. People are telling each other it has no effect and therefore it doesnt. Its interesting that there doesnt appear to be any peer reviewed studies backing up PMW as an actual issue. Headaches can have many internal and external causes and its complex to determine any one cause. The fact so many people are diagnosing themselves would indicate this is crowd bias - one person says its the screen and others confirm, then when people get rid of/change their phones they receive the placebo effect as they believe it can stop the headaches. Even in this thread is someone stating that a phone without PWM gave them PWM headaches - this is rather telling. It would appear the effect is possibly psychological - especially with the extremely small number of people affected who appear to be affected. The fact that cameras can pick up this effect is neither here nor there, as no camera can successfully replicate the human eye or its functionality. This would also be why manufacturers such as Apple are ignoring the issue as its 100% unproven scientifically speaking.

I’m not discounting the headaches by the way, I‘m discounting the investigation into (and proof of) the cause.

Of course, people often believe what they read online and as a general rule, people are unwilling to analyse their own thinking and the evidence in a purely detached way. As you can tell by my post, I do not believe in the link between headaches and PWM (except at extreme low refresh levels where its obvious the issue can present itself since its visible to the naked eye) If anyone can link me to a pure scientific peer reviewed study on PWM and its effects on the human eye/brain I would love to be convinced.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
The s10e is likely a placebo effect. People are telling each other it has no effect and therefore it doesnt. Its interesting that there doesnt appear to be any peer reviewed studies backing up PMW as an actual issue. Headaches can have many internal and external causes and its complex to determine any one cause. The fact so many people are diagnosing themselves would indicate this is crowd bias - one person says its the screen and others confirm, then when people get rid of/change their phones they receive the placebo effect as they believe it can stop the headaches. Even in this thread is someone stating that a phone without PWM gave them PWM headaches - this is rather telling. It would appear the effect is possibly psychological - especially with the extremely small number of people affected who appear to be affected. The fact that cameras can pick up this effect is neither here nor there, as no camera can successfully replicate the human eye or its functionality. This would also be why manufacturers such as Apple are ignoring the issue as its 100% unproven scientifically speaking.

I’m not discounting the headaches by the way, I‘m discounting the investigation into (and proof of) the cause.

Of course, people often believe what they read online and as a general rule, people are unwilling to analyse their own thinking and the evidence in a purely detached way. As you can tell by my post, I do not believe in the link between headaches and PWM (except at extreme low refresh levels where its obvious the issue can present itself since its visible to the naked eye) If anyone can link me to a pure scientific peer reviewed study on PWM and its effects on the human eye/brain I would love to be convinced.

For me personally I have proven the link between the PWM in screens and my headaches. The headaches first occurred when I got an iPhone X and then went away when I got an XR. They came back for one night when I first got my Series 3 Apple Watch as on the first day I got it I spent a lot of time looking at it, that then confirmed to me that PWM screens were the issue. This was then further confirmed when the headaches returned after I got the Lenovo X230 which also uses a PWM screen (which I didn’t realise when I purchased it) the only difference with the Lenovo is the headaches are a little less intense than with the iPhone but that makes sense as the screen is only about 200-300Nits whereas the iPhone is over 600Nits.

Reactions: 5105973

ApplePenPineapplePen

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2016
Launch day XS max, severe eyestrains after 2 months of use. Can't even looked at the white screen for a minute without eyes discomfort.
However, using Samsung S10plus for 20 months, my eyes are fine. Not even a slight discomfort.
Having said that, I still love Apple. Can't wait to go back to iOS.
Hopefully iphone 12 could rectify the screen issue for the affected us.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Launch day XS max, severe eyestrains after 2 months of use. Can't even looked at the white screen for a minute without eyes discomfort.
However, using Samsung S10plus for 20 months, my eyes are fine. Not even a slight discomfort.
Having said that, I still love Apple. Can't wait to go back to iOS.
Hopefully iphone 12 could rectify the screen issue for the affected us.

This makes me wonder if some people are effected by the FaceID infrared pulses rather than PWM? Samsung phones also use PWM but obviously don’t hit your face with infrared pulses for the FaceID.

For me it’s definitely the PWM as I’ve said above as I’ve had multiple devices with PWM and I’ve had headaches, yet my XR and 11 don’t give me headaches which means I’m ok with the FaceID system.

ApplePenPineapplePen

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2016
This makes me wonder if some people are effected by the FaceID infrared pulses rather than PWM? Samsung phones also use PWM but obviously don’t hit your face with infrared pulses for the FaceID.

For me it’s definitely the PWM as I’ve said above as I’ve had multiple devices with PWM and I’ve had headaches, yet my XR and 11 don’t give me headaches which means I’m ok with the FaceID system.
Maybe you're right.
I don't experience any headache.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
We may have some hope for next years iPhones. Supposedly the LTPO OLED in the Series 5 Apple Watch doesn’t use PWM and Apple is rumoured to be looking at using a LTPO screen in the 2021 iPhones. This would be amazing if true and would solve many people’s issues.
Came here to ask this if an Apple Watch gives you the same issue. Let's hope for all of you that they will implement this :)

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Came here to ask this if an Apple Watch gives you the same issue. Let's hope for all of you that they will implement this :)
I have a Series 3 and yes it does give me the same issue if I stare at the screen for a long time such as the first night I got it. However in normal use just glancing at it occasionally and only using it a couple of minutes at a time I don’t get the headaches but I guess that’s down to duration looking at the screen.

Not seen a Series 5 in person though according to notebook check there is a slight flicker at 60Hz but NO PWM on the Series 5.

wmdunn

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Wow, you join the forum, and ten days later, you are telling people that what they have experienced is imagined and in their head. If it doesn't affect you, that's great ... but for those it has affected, it's very real.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
Wow, you join the forum, and ten days later, you are telling people that what they have experienced is imagined and in their head. If it doesn't affect you, that's great ... but for those it has affected, it's very real.
Well, to be fair, the effects of a placebo are very real as well. Nothing they wrote actually discredited the experienced effects, they expressed just the wish to be linked to a scientific research about PWM (which I can't provide).

Reactions: artfossil

ratdog07067

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2020
I'm one of those folks that can use Samsung and Pixels (including the 4XL with Face ID) without issues but if I try and use any of the Apple OLED I get really uncomfortable eye strain and almost nausea. I can use the iPhone 11 so in my unscientific testing it seems to be related to the screen. If Apple does go all in with OLED I might make the permanent switch to Android.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
That is a totally different thing. Perhaps you should read the thread.

I did read the thread. Myself and the four other souls in my home, as well as 9 guys at my place of employment, a couple of neighbors, and some friends do not see any flicker whatsoever on my XS Max. At one point I was questioning whether this was a hardware fault with certain peoples phones. This is not the first thread of this nature that I have seen. Maybe its natures way of saying you spend too much time on your phone lol. I don't know. Maybe its a problem with the way certain people are built, I cant say.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I've got an old Samdung Galaxy S8 (OLED screen) and I can clearly notice the flickering coming from that screen. Unpleasant to look at. Really annoying.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I did read the thread. Myself and the four other souls in my home, as well as 9 guys at my place of employment, a couple of neighbors, and some friends do not see any flicker whatsoever on my XS Max. At one point I was questioning whether this was a hardware fault with certain peoples phones. This is not the first thread of this nature that I have seen. Maybe its natures way of saying you spend too much time on your phone lol. I don't know. Maybe its a problem with the way certain people are built, I cant say.
Stop laughing at us. Just because it doesn't affect you or your friends does not mean it doesn't exist.

tills24

macrumors regular
May 10, 2010
I have a 7 Plus, and I've been looking forward to getting a 12, but I am nervous that it may cause headaches for me. I wear glasses (I'm near sighted), but I've taken to not wearing my glasses when working on my MacBook Pro or looking at a monitor, so hopefully that can help.
Is there any chance that a tinted screen cover can help with the issue? I remember the old days of people having a tinted screen over CRT monitors to help with eye strain.

ratdog07067

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2020
I believe cranking the brightness up to 100% eliminates the flickering but that's not always practical. I'm not sure about the tinted covers

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
Just to get this out in the open, I wasn’t laughing at anyone. I do take it seriously, I am near sighted and I should be wearing my glasses. I am now 42 but haven’t seen them since I was 18. My sample size was 20 people and my personal device. Not the millions that own them. Initially my thought was a hardware fault, but it may not be so cut and dried.

Expos of 1969

Suspended
Aug 25, 2013
Just to get this out in the open, I wasn’t laughing at anyone. I do take it seriously, I am near sighted and I should be wearing my glasses. I am now 42 but haven’t seen them since I was 18. My sample size was 20 people and my personal device. Not the millions that own them. Initially my thought was a hardware fault, but it may not be so cut and dried.
I think after 24 years those glasses aren't going to show up so tomorrow hightail down to your local SpecSavers for a new pair;)

• Haha
Reactions: freeagent
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.