Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMiyagi1

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2019
I don’t know if this has been asked. However is it just people who wear glasses of contacts that are being affected by pwm?

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I don’t know if this has been asked. However is it just us guys who wear glasses of contacts that are being affected by pwm?

Well, there’s women involved in these threads, I wouldn’t you say just ‘guys’. But PWM Can affect anyone regardless of glasses, contacts, hereditary long-term vision issues, healthy eye site, etc.

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
General question: Has anyone tried those blue light glasses? Is there any reason to believe that they would help reduce the effects of PWM (or whatever is causing the headaches)?

I don’t see that helping at all if it’s the PWM flicker that is the problem. No glasses will reduce flicker.
If a user is also sensitive to blue light it may help a little.

Reactions: rui no onna

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I don't know what the cause is but I had zero problems with the original SE or with my Samsung Galaxy S10e. However, I purchased the SE2 upon release and immediately suffered eye strain and mild headaches. I tried it for 3 days and still had problems so my wife is now happily using it. I found the text not super sharp compared to the SE1 or the Samsung. Nobody else on here seems to have reported problems with the SE2 so maybe I am unique.
Nah you’re not unique. It took me awhile to figure out, but my SE2 does make my eyeballs ache. It’s not the same as the seizure and stroke like migraines I got from my XS Max and certain LED lightbulbs. It’s just garden variety fatigue, I think. It’s just not as good a display as the one on my iPhone 8 Plus which I regret trading away.

So far issues I have identified with iPhones:

FaceID lights make my eyes feel dry and gritty. I can use Face ID for the usual authentication process, but I definitely can’t play around with Mojis. And I have to turn attention aware off. But it’s not a deal breaker for me.

Garden variety eyeball strain with IPhone XR and iPhone SE LCD panels. I don’t remember any issues with iPhone 6/7/8 plus displays.

I don’t have any problems with my 11 Pro and Samsung s20 displays. But switching between them can feel uncomfortable at first and requires a little adjustment.

I don’t know how the 11 Pro display is different from earlier iPhone OLED displays, but all I know is that I can use my 11 Pro just fine. There’s less eye strain on it than with my SE. Eventually I will get eye strain on it but I think that’s just natural for everyone. We aren’t meant to be staring at these displays as long as we do

I’m going to guess that eye strain is different from all the headache and migraine issues I had previously. You can have one or the other. And you can have both. They’re not the same issue.

FWIW the Nintendo Switch screen gives me and my kids nasty headaches after about an hour of use. I don’t know what kind of display that is.

@Stuey3D you have done a fantastic write up explaining this issue. Thank you so much.

Expos of 1969

Suspended
Aug 25, 2013
Nah you’re not unique. It took me awhile to figure out, but my SE2 does make my eyeballs ache. It’s not the same as the seizure and stroke like migraines I got from my XS Max and certain LED lightbulbs. It’s just garden variety fatigue, I think. It’s just not as good a display as the one on my iPhone 8 Plus which I regret trading away.

FaceID lights make my eyes feel dry and gritty. I can use Face ID for the usual authentication process, but I definitely can’t play around with Mojis. And I have to turn attention aware off. But it’s not a deal breaker for me.

Garden variety eyeball strain with IPhone XR and iPhone SE LCD panels. I don’t remember any issues with iPhone 6/7/8 plus displays.

I don’t have any problems with my 11 Pro and Samsung s20 displays. But switching between them can feel uncomfortable at first and requires a little adjustment.

I don’t know how the 11 Pro display is different from earlier iPhone OLED displays, but all I know is that I can use my 11 Pro just fine. There’s less eye strain on it than with my SE. Eventually I will get eye strain on it but I think that’s just natural for everyone. We aren’t meant to be staring at these displays as long as we do

I’m going to guess that eye strain is different from all the headache and migraine issues I had previously. You can have one or the other. And you can have both. They’re not the same issue.

FWIW the Nintendo Switch screen gives me and my kids nasty headaches after about an hour of use. I don’t know what kind of display that is.

@Stuey3D you have done a fantastic write up explaining this issue. Thank you so much.
I have never tried Face ID and have no interest in doing so. In any case, I think it would be hard to dispute that the many many hours people now spend looking at screens will have some negative health impact over time.

Reactions: 5105973

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

I have flashing lights in my eyes, similar to migraine sufferers, except I don’t get headaches. Samsung Galaxy phones gave me headaches and I was worried about getting a max with oled. I’ve been pleasantly surprised, no issues with headaches or my eyes.

I do have attention aware turned off don’t want to chance a good thing.

Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.