Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Well done! I don't think I could have gotten that close to a bird like that (they tend to be shy down here)

I have a few minutes, so I'll leave you in Macro Territory ;)

These are real killer ants. They're almost 2 cm big!
307246108_ef46367763_o.jpg

Female Argiope argentata
307246091_1cd7a30cee_o.jpg

One of my favorite pics, a Dragonfly mugshot (Order Odonata, suborder Anisoptera). Just resized, no cropping or PP
164240680_9d7107ab40_o.jpg

Finally, a small member of the Gekkonidae family on the flowers of a Heliconia caribaea
164240677_8cc79827c1_o.jpg

I look forward to more people sharing their pics! I bet you have some amazing stuff you'd like to share :p

spitfirejd

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
Magnolia, Delaware, USA
Cub or not, great pics! How far away were you from these felines? What setup did you use?

Dan

Both were taken in a game preserve in South Africa. The Cheetah was actually just on the other side of a fence. No danger there :p The lioness was lying within inches of an open Land Rover I was sitting in :eek: I literally could have leaned over the side and touched her...if I wanted to lose a hand! Both were shot with a little weatherproof 35mm Point-and-shoot on slide film. I was in SA to aid flood victims and didn't want to risk taking an SLR camera, plus I had enough gear to haul there. Thanks again for the positive comments.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Meh, here's some I've taken over the past 6 months. I really don't take many animal photos.

Attachments

• Photo 1.jpg
    Photo 1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 201
  • Photo 2.jpg
    Photo 2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 177
  • Photo 3.jpg
    Photo 3.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 175
  • Photo 4.jpg
    Photo 4.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 201
  • Photo 5.jpg
    Photo 5.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 176

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
What is that big black bird? Looks like a mean crow on steroids! Your pelicans are different than ours on the western Atlantic side of the world, too.

That black bird really looks menacing!
The pelicans are different, really different. Brown pelicans (Pelecanus occidentalis), the ones found in America, are rather small, while the Australian Pelican (Pelicanus conspicillatus) is larger and white. Also, brown pelicans are the only ones that dive to feed. That's good for us if we want to catch them diving, right srf4real? ;)

Is that Rocco at the bottom
Whoa, I didn't even remember that show! Man, I'm getting old....

Phatpat, that butterfly garden looks like a wonderful place to take some macros! Good luck on your finals!

I'll leave you with a big ant trying to bite a friend's finger.

310772516_dad4720423_b.jpg

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yeah, that black bird does look pretty menacing. Here's another photo I took of him. Better pose, but he blends in with his background more.

Oh, and oddly enough, I went out today to take photographs (I don't go out to photograph often enough) since I felt antsy to photograph something, and I got photos of more birds. Dang was I lucky. These guys fly fast and never seem to stop. ;)

I was photographing moving water (yes, water), keeping very still and not moving much in order to get a sharp photo. Then one of these birds just came down and sat beside me for like 5 seconds. I just took as many photos as possible (although at ISO 800 :rolleyes: ) because I knew I'd never have time to change settings, athough I'm quite quick at it.

Then I left the fountain, thinking that was as good as it was going to get today, and him and a buddy came back for a swim (it was hot outside). :)

Anyway, enjoy.

Attachments

• Photo.jpg
    Photo.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 199
  • Swimmer and drinker.jpg
    Swimmer and drinker.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 227
  • Curiosity.jpg
    Curiosity.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 185
  • black bird 2.jpg
    black bird 2.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 185

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
I just took as many photos as possible (although at ISO 800 :rolleyes: )

That's exactly why I want a DSLR! If I take my pics at an ISO setting higher than 100, they just come out like a pic printed on sandpaper :(
Great shots, btw :)

EDIT: I couldn't resist trying out the attachments here on Macrumors. Here's my first try, a small butterfly that I saw with my girlfriend on friday. It had just fed, as you can see by the pollen grains on it's mouthparts. Resized, and processed with Noise Ninja (amazing little program, btw!).

Attachments

• Mariposa-de-frente.jpg
    Mariposa-de-frente.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 464

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
A small butterfly, same as the one above. Family Nymphalidae in the Order Lepidoptera. These are recognized because the have only 4 legs (the front pair is very reduced, and barely visible) This one is perfect for a desktop picture! I definitely love macros...

Attachments

• Proboscis-mariposa.jpg
    Proboscis-mariposa.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 397

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
My arachnids :)

Alright man, there they are:
1) Chilean Rose Hair

Close up:
rosie.JPG

On my hand:
rosie2.JPG

Eating:
rosie3.JPG

Wrapping up the crickets like a burrito:
rosie4.JPG

On my hand again:
rosie5.JPG

2) Sun Spider

Very flexible:
sunspider.JPG

3) Antilles Pink Toe

Arboreal(sp?) Likes to cling on the walls:
pinktoe.JPG

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
4) Costa Rican Red Rump

On top of a mini-tree:
redrump.JPG

Molting:
redrumpmolt.JPG

5) Black Emperor Scorpion

Camera pic: Clinging onto the lid:
scorpion.JPG

6) Crickets!

See Ms. Cricket?
cricket.JPG

What happened to Ms. Cricket?
eaten.JPG

More pics available upon request :cool: :D

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
I don't get out to photograph wildlife nearly as often as I'd like, but here are a couple I've taken: ducks near Las Vegas and a butterfly in New Mexico.

duck_640.jpg

butterfly_640.jpg

My dad is much more of a wildlife photographer than me. He writes hiking and camping guidebooks as part of his business, so even in his 60s, he goes all over the Colorado mountains collecting data and photos. He's got a ton of different wildlife shots, but this one, shot from about 300 yards away, is one of my favorites. It won first place in some magazine's contest a few years ago:

backlit_bull_5_640.jpg

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Sorry, but that's not a chameleon...
:rolleyes: ... man, what'sup with all the non Florididians trying to tell us what we have and what we don't. :confused:

Nobody believes this is a snapper either, but, oh, well... just another day in paradise!

To be more specific, this is a baby (1/2 inches long) mexican chameleon that has invaded south Florida over the last twenty years and has decimated the native chameleon population because this is a larger, more agressive species about 6 inches in length when full grown.:)

"Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore."

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
I'm from FL :) Born and raised for over 22 years.

I like the photo nonetheless...just thought it was weird when you said it was a chameleon..

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I'm from FL :) Born and raised for over 22 years.
:eek: so sorry for calling you a yankee, phungy. So, you don't have these in Gainesville? I live in Melbourne. We used to have the little cute green ones that are really smooth, until these buggers came along... they change colors but not as cool as the natives, imop.:(

I played with some PSE brushes and made this one...:)

edit: and an adult on the fence post. I couldn't get him to blow up his huge red throat or whatever it's called.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.