Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
I see them mainly in Sarasota (hometown). They're neat but my dog likes playing with them (and ends up killing them :confused: ).

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
:rolleyes: ... man, what'sup with all the non Florididians trying to tell us what we have and what we don't. :confused:

Sorry, but I'm blowing the whistle on this one (and yes, I'm non Florididian :p )
True chameleons have their fingers fused, so they only appear to have 2 fingers. They also have a REALLY long tongue. There are other key features exclusive to true chameleons, but I won't go there (for now :rolleyes: )

What you took a picture of is an anole. Due to their limited (emphasized for a reason) ability to change color, they are sometimes called "American Chameleons". To be more precise, you took a picture of a Cuban brown anole (Anolis sagrei), which has pushed the native green (or Carolina) anole (Anolis carolinensis)population farther north due to intra-guild predation and competition for food, since their niche overlap is high.

You can look it up on a Herpetology textbook (under Iguanidae) as Anolis sagrei, or in older texts as Norops sagrei. You might like to look up this page as well.

Nice pic, though ;)

EDIT: sorry if this sounded harsh... it wasn't my intention! :)

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I sit corrected.:eek:

Don't worry - I have alligator hide for skin; not sensitive at all, and I'd rather know the facts than think I'm right in error... just been callin 'em chameleons for 39 years now... older I get the more I learn.:) My wife is a scientist, knows all the latin names and such. I'm just a tree huggin surfer loving God's creation!:D :D :D

edit: oh, speaking of alligators...
gogatorsbg4.jpg
got one in the canal out back.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Wow, I'd love to have an alligator nearby! I'd take so many pictures of it... My mom would probably freak out, though.

I think I have a match for your gator:
An 8 foot long, 50 cm wide (diameter) female Eunectes murinus (that's an anaconda for those who have a life besides studying, unlike me :p )
She doesn't like to be held... learned that the hard way:eek:

Attachments

• Eunectes-murinus.jpg
    Eunectes-murinus.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 141

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
I'd love to be able to see egrets that close up! That won't happen until they clean up the dam nearby... great shot!

How's Chomper? He's probably the size of your hand by now

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I'd love to be able to see egrets that close up! That won't happen until they clean up the dam nearby... great shot!

How's Chomper? He's probably the size of your hand by now

The birds are fearless around here. Humans (fishermen) feed them often and they don't even flinch when I stalk up close to them. It's really quite distressing when trying to catch bait in a castnet, the pelicans mob the catch right away!

As for chomper, I haven't seen him for a while since returning him to the canal from where he came... he was polluting my fish tanks at an alarming rate and getting big enough to swallow his tank mates.:eek: I'm sure he's doing fine and I have seen his mother 'mama snapper' recently.:D

Here's another bird at the sanctuary in St. Augustine.:)

snowyegretoaks1ut8.jpg

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I stand corrected :) We're not used to snappers down here, matamatas are much more common. And while living in the states I only saw an Alligator snapper, so Chomper didn't quite match the picture I had in my head. How long have you had him? (I'm assuming it's a male, from the shape of the plastron - not the best way to know, but it gives a clue) Is he hard to take care of? Last turtle I had went misteriously missing (and no, she wasn't taken to a farm where she could run and chase guppies ;))...

srf4real, any more nature pics you're willing to share? Most of mine are insect macros... I'd love to see what other people take pics of!

You mean snappers like this one?

77519DSC8832-6.jpg

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I dunno how I've missed this thread 'til now... Some really amazing shots. Wish I could shoot like y'all. :eek:

So in the summer, I went to a safari in northern California (near Napa)... these are wild animals (for the most part) but it's a rather neat set-up they've got going on...

So this fella is a Greater Kudu:

A couple of waterbucks (I think)... the white ring that you might be able to see on the female's rear is a trait that all of these animals have (both males and females, young and old). It serves as a bit of an "emergency" rallying flag-- when there's a crisis or predator, the animals look for more of those "butt rings" and gather together forming a more formidable mass. Their other defense is that they produce a strong musk that most predators learn is not very tasty. ;)

Anyhow, our guide told us that this particular species, the East African Crowned Crane is believed to have existed for over 40 million years! I didn't care too much for the adult bird (it kept getting unnecessarily close to me, hee) but I got a huge kick out of the "baby" that tried to eat this poor woman's diamond ring, and then her jacket button.

A couple other birds...

Tortoise havin' a snack:

This ostrich was so nosy! Stood well over 6 ft. tall and almost bit a little girl riding in the truck!

And this was just so irresistibly silly:

rfrankl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2006
:eek: so sorry for calling you a yankee, phungy. So, you don't have these in Gainesville? I live in Melbourne. We used to have the little cute green ones that are really smooth, until these buggers came along... they change colors but not as cool as the natives, imop.:(

I played with some PSE brushes and made this one...:)

edit: and an adult on the fence post. I couldn't get him to blow up his huge red throat or whatever it's called.

He is right...those are not chameleons. They are anoles. The ones that change green are not true chameleons either. The bigger lizards with the curly tails that you see more and more here in South Florida are actually from the Bahamas.

SkAlex

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2004
Here's one (poorly scanned) picture of a boobie (hehe) from a high school trip to the Galapagos Islands...

boobie.jpg

And a shot of a butterfly I took when I was wandering off during a film shoot that I was producing... :eek:

butterfly.jpg

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Amazing shots, everyone! Glad to see this thread alive again :)

Here's my contribution for today...
These Lepidoptera larvae are huge! 5 inches easy.

Attachments

• IMG_3399.jpg
    IMG_3399.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 125
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.