Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will the new iPads bend rather easily?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2022
But the "bendgate" is not about that; it has been said (by multiple accounts) buyers didn't do anything remotely close to what JR posts in his channel and still had this issue.
Right, and that's ultimately my point. A video that showed minimal pressure resulting in bends would be far more informative than more extreme tests.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
But most people's issues with weight on handheld devices will be more about hand fatigue.
To some extent. My niece just turned 4 and she seems to be ok using an iPad heavier than the current and former 11" iPad Pro with no ill effects for hours at a time. I'm not saying they don't exist, but the adults weaker than her must be fringe cases.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
I'm not saying they won't have any issues, I'm saying the extreme tests have little to no use to real-world considerations and we'll need to wait until we get our hands on them before we can truly tell how durable they are.
I agree with this. Though, of course, if a normal sized adult can tear it to shreds too easily, then that does show an issue.

Reactions: Webcat86 and jazz1

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
A rigid internal "rib" can only be a good thing. I hope it's not just making up for the reduction in thickness, considering the last ones also struggled with things like backpacks.
Should also be noted that the weakest point of the previous was where the pencil charger and microphones sat across from each other.
The new iPad has a totally redesigned pencil charger and different microphone placement, I wonder if it’s to help reduce any structural issues.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I agree with this. Though, of course, if a normal sized adult can tear it to shreds too easily, then that does show an issue.
I have no problem using sling bags or messenger bags to carry my incoming iPad Pro M4. Unfortunately in checking out my various bags (including Peak Design Camera bags) the fit is very tight with my M1 iPad Pro 12.9". Note this kind of carry bag would be especially dangerous if filled with camera body (s) and lenses IMHO.

For instance, there is no way I could put my current iPad, with Magic Keyboard, in the tablet storage area of my Peak Design 10L sling, and have it fit. Which is a shame because I think the Magic Keyboard would add some protection from slight impacts and bending. Note even with a simple folio the tight fit had me worried when adding camera equipment.

I'm hoping that someone makes a new generation bag, that will better accommodate the "paper thin" M4 13" iPad Pro. Maybe they are already out there. Recommendations would be much appreciated!

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2022
To some extent. My niece just turned 4 and she seems to be ok using an iPad heavier than the current and former 11" iPad Pro with no ill effects for hours at a time. I'm not saying they don't exist, but the adults weaker than her must be fringe cases.
Does she hold it in both hands? My young nieces hold the iPad with two hands, usually playing a game. The hand fatigue is typically from single-handed use over a prolonged period.

I don’t want to seem too appreciative of the weight reduction - I was happy with the weight of all my iPads and the M4 will be going in a case regardless. I’m just sharing some of the comments I’ve seen from people who have said why they’re pleased it’s smaller.

Reactions: AlexMac89 and ric22

ric22

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
Does she hold it in both hands? My young nieces hold the iPad with two hands, usually playing a game. The hand fatigue is typically from single-handed use over a prolonged period.
Hmm, I didn't think of one handed us. I'm not sure I can recall seeing someone use a large tablet one handed, honestly.

• Angry
Reactions: AlexMac89

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
The new iPad should be made of cast iron and there would be no bending.
And you could toast waffles or it! 🧇
IMG_1830.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: nj-morris

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015

Ultra-thin M4 iPad Pro features new internal structure to improve stiffness and heat dissipation​

Apple SVP John Ternus revealed the new 11-inch and 13-inch iPad Pro have a new internal structural layout, in which a new metal cover sits atop the logic board (Ternus describes its as a ‘cowling’) and runs down the middle of the device, forming a central rib. According to Ternus, this change “tremendously improves the stiffness of the product”. It also contributes to better heat dissipation. During the keynote, Apple said the iPad Pro has 20% improved thermal performance thanks to the addition of graphite sheets in the main housing and the use of copper in the Apple logo.

Elusi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2023
Did people have bend issues with the 6S? I know the 6 had but the 6S I believe they restructured a lot of stuff. Mine stayed flat.

They spent time during the presentation claiming they had overseen the construction to make sure it doesn’t bend. That is a horrible thing to have on tape if they would be up against a class-action lawsuit down the line so I’m sure there’s some engineering done behind the claim.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
It’s not about weakness, it’s about comfort, and holding an iPad without support for longer than a minute. I’d like your see your niece holding that iPad in the air without support for a couple of minutes.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
If engineered correctly you can have thin and very resilient to bending.
Either metal or carbon fibre could be used as internal bracing, for very very low cost to solve this being an issue.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA

Ultra-thin M4 iPad Pro features new internal structure to improve stiffness and heat dissipation​

Apple SVP John Ternus revealed the new 11-inch and 13-inch iPad Pro have a new internal structural layout, in which a new metal cover sits atop the logic board (Ternus describes its as a ‘cowling’) and runs down the middle of the device, forming a central rib. According to Ternus, this change “tremendously improves the stiffness of the product”. It also contributes to better heat dissipation. During the keynote, Apple said the iPad Pro has 20% improved thermal performance thanks to the addition of graphite sheets in the main housing and the use of copper in the Apple logo.

No joke, I’ve got an M4 coming, I’ll sleep better tonight!

Last edited:

ric22

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
I wonder how warm that copper Apple logo will get 😅 🔥

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Not about strength. If you leave it at home all day sure, no problem if it's 4lbs and half an inch thick.

These things have to fit in a bag, backpack, a suitcase. Depth matters and weight matters, especially when you're brining more gear with you.

Adding a few millimeters will not stop one from putting in a backpack.

Reactions: ric22

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2022
Adding a few millimeters will not stop one from putting in a backpack.
It can. I occasionally fly to Europe with a single carry-on bag, which needs both the iPad and my MBA, plus clothes and toiletries. That’s a very tight squeeze and not helped by airports making you remove electronics at security.

Last edited:

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Did people have bend issues with the 6S? I know the 6 had but the 6S I believe they restructured a lot of stuff. Mine stayed flat.

They spent time during the presentation claiming they had overseen the construction to make sure it doesn’t bend. That is a horrible thing to have on tape if they would be up against a class-action lawsuit down the line so I’m sure there’s some engineering done behind the claim.
IIRC the 6s was about 0.2mm thicker than the 6, and I think that was to improve the structural integrity. People also found that it was waterproof, which Apple hadn't advertised.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
It can. I occasionally fly to Europe with a single carry-on bag, which needs both the iPad and my MBA, plus clothes and toiletries. That’s a very tight squeeze and not helped by airports making you remove electronics at security.
What takes up more volume in a tight backpack- an iPad 2mm thicker that resists bending and has a much better battery life, or an iPad that needs to be encased in an 18mm case, plus an external powerbank? 👀

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.