Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will the new iPads bend rather easily?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2022
What takes up more volume in a tight backpack- an iPad 3mm thicker that resists bending, or an iPad that needs to be encased in an 18mm case? 🧐
In my situation at least, the question is moot because my iPad would be in the case regardless. I use the keyboard and stand it provides, and it protects it from scratches. So a thinner iPad in a case is still thinner than a thicker iPad in a case.

ric22

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
In my situation at least, the question is moot because my iPad would be in the case regardless. I use the keyboard and stand it provides, and it protects it from scratches. So a thinner iPad in a case is still thinner than a thicker iPad in a case.
Out of curiosity, why are you packing a Mac and an iPad with a keyboard for an extremely brief (hand luggage only) trip?? Surely if every 0.1mm counts, it would be prudent not to bring TWO keyboards?

I'm always flying to and from Germany/UK with hand luggage only for v short trips, and don't even use a case on my MacBook.

Last edited:

Webcat86

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2022
Out of curiosity, why are you packing a Mac and an iPad with a keyboard for an extremely brief (hand luggage only) trip??
It's a work trip and the MBA is my work laptop, and the iPad is for personal use. The trip can be around a week, so it's good for the hotel instead of watching TV in a different language. Also great for FaceTime, reading, YouTube etc.

Although to be honest, that backpack is full when I fly even without the MBA — on longer flights for a family holiday I'll have other things in that bag, like over-ear headphones, a book, etc, so it can be a squeeze getting the tablet in and out.

ric22

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
It's a work trip and the MBA is my work laptop, and the iPad is for personal use. The trip can be around a week, so it's good for the hotel instead of watching TV in a different language. Also great for FaceTime, reading, YouTube etc.

Although to be honest, that backpack is full when I fly even without the MBA — on longer flights for a family holiday I'll have other things in that bag, like over-ear headphones, a book, etc, so it can be a squeeze getting the tablet in and out.
Get work to pay for a checked bag 😉

My partner is going on a work trip today, and it always astonishes me how much she brings, compared to me. I've not turned my iPad on since last year ... my 15PM has replaced it entirely.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2022
Get work to pay for a checked bag 😉

My partner is going on a work trip today, and it always astonishes me how much she brings, compared to me. I've not turned my iPad on since last year ... my 15PM has replaced it entirely.
Work covers the cost, but flying is so much nicer without the hassle of queuing at the check-in desk or waiting at the baggage claim carousel

ric22

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
Work covers the cost, but flying is so much nicer without the hassle of queuing at the check-in desk or waiting at the baggage claim carousel
Guess it depends on the airports. I'd rather queue briefly than faff around with mini toiletries or have to go shopping for them on arrival.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2022
Guess it depends on the airports. I'd rather queue briefly than faff around with mini toiletries or have to go shopping for them on arrival.
I take those with me.
It's a budget airline, so the check-in line is long and slow with people going on weekend breaks, stag parties, that sort of thing. This is also around 5.30am, and if I had to be in that queue I would need to leave home even earlier than 4am.

Instead, I arrive at the airport, scan my boarding pass at security, go through the scanners, and wait for my flight. When I land, pick up my bag, walk out of the building and into a taxi. It's infinitely more pleasant, and substantially faster, than dealing with the checked luggage. It just takes a little stuffing of things into the bag.

Reactions: ric22

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina

Siri is a joke…
Agree. I have disabled “Hey Siri” and “Siri” on my HomePods devices because ‘she’ can’t distinguish her name from that of my dog, Gracy. :)

Just imagine how much battery they could get in the new iPad if it were regular thickness. We pay dearly for Apple‘s obsession with thin.
I suspect this is because airplane travel limits the mAH of certain battery chemistries. So if Apple can get the max limit of mAH for a smaller form factor, then why not.

Reactions: Jackbequickly

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Honestly, I will say something that might upset some people - but I don't think 2018 iPad Pros had bending issues either. I've carried mine across airports, parks, offices, threw it in various backpacks - and it was straight as the day I got it. And then I sold it to a colleague, and they still use it - and it's still straight. Of course, it's good that the M1+ iPad Pros improved on this, but I think this issue was overblown.

So I fully expect people to be rational about these new ones. Just kidding, of course they won't. Someone will bend it intentionally and we'll have 100+ videos about it and people here will say this is proof that Tim Cook needs to go. But in reality, I expect it will be fine. The real question is whether they will bend more easily compared to previous ones, but again, regardless of that - I am not worried.

Reactions: Cheruman

ric22

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
Agree. I have disabled “Hey Siri” and “Siri” on my HomePods devices because ‘she’ can’t distinguish her name from that of my dog, Gracy. :)

I suspect this is because airplane travel limits the mAH of certain battery chemistries. So if Apple can get the max limit of mAH for a smaller form factor, then why not.
Battery isn't near the limit, is it? The MacBook Pro battery is, though, I believe.

ric22

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
Honestly, I will say something that might upset some people - but I don't think 2018 iPad Pros had bending issues either. I've carried mine across airports, parks, offices, threw it in various backpacks - and it was straight as the day I got it. And then I sold it to a colleague, and they still use it - and it's still straight. Of course, it's good that the M1+ iPad Pros improved on this, but I think this issue was overblown.

So I fully expect people to be rational about these new ones. Just kidding, of course they won't. Someone will bend it intentionally and we'll have 100+ videos about it and people here will say this is proof that Tim Cook needs to go. But in reality, I expect it will be fine. The real question is whether they will bend more easily compared to previous ones, but again, regardless of that - I am not worried.
The older ones didn't bend under normal use, I can attest to that. Lots of reports of the IPPs from the last two years bending, though. Let's hope this one is like the one ones 🤞🏼

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
The older ones didn't bend under normal use, I can attest to that. Lots of reports of the IPPs from the last two years bending, though. Let's hope this one is like the one ones 🤞🏼

Lots of reports, yeah, but I'd still say that they didn't bend under normal use. Take at least some care of your $1000+ devices and they will be fine.

ric22

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
Lots of reports, yeah, but I'd still say that they didn't bend under normal use. Take at least some care of your $1000+ devices and they will be fine.
You disagree with the people writing the reports, including journalists. I'm not sure what makes you think they're all liars. Think about it- why would people intentionally break their device? These things are really expensive!

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
You disagree with the people writing the reports, including journalists. I'm not sure what makes you think they're all liars. Think about it- why would people intentionally break their device? These things are really expensive!

Not saying anyone is lying, of course they are not. And they are not intentionally breaking their devices. It’s still very anecdotal.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
A rigid internal "rib" can only be a good thing. I hope it's not just making up for the reduction in thickness, considering the last ones also struggled with things like backpacks.
Backpacks? People should use their brain a little or protect the device with stiff material.

• Haha

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
They already talked about ipad pro...they changed the inside structure to make it sturdier and also better thermal

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles

My 2020 iPP only suffered a bend when I accidentally crushed it by lowering my car's seat onto it. AC+ promptly replaced it and the magic keyboard it was in.

These things don't bend under normal use, you have to be real clumsy or put real effort into it.

Reactions: aevan

ric22

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
Backpacks? People should use their brain a little or protect the device with stiff material.
Errr, brains? You couldn't even manage a grammatically correct sentence when criticising people. Irony. 😅😅 Not quite sure why you'd insult most iPad users around the world?

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
It’s thin. All i know is the ipad ate less calories than the last one and has a beach body for summer

canadianpj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2008
If you read the posts, and then gave it an iota of consideration, you wouldn't equate people bending iPads by daring to put them in a backpack with deliberately trying to bend them with their hands.
Did any of those people putting in the backpack take any amount of time to consider what else was in there that might cause such an issue? I've had mine in a backpack hundreds of times, not bent, not even a little.

There are going to be a lot of YouTube videos of purposely bent units, which Macrumors will cover no matter what we'll back to the iPhone 6 Plus nonsense again.

ric22

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
Proof that a tablet can resist even intentional bending by hand, when the manufacturer cares to make the device robust:

Let's hope Apple learnt from this and reinforced the obvious points of weakness, which they generally haven't bothered to do before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.