Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Doubt it.

Here's hoping they announce the death of the Windows Registry. Now if it's a new kernel based off BSD like macOS. With something like Carbon for legacy software. Well that'd be a head scratcher. I just can't picture MS ever being that bold to dump the Registry and NT.

As for a new GUI. That's got me worried. Windows 8 was a mess. They really love to **** things up. Whether I love it or hate it. I'll have to use it. At least for a while to learn the ropes. Just so I can help clients when they have issues with a new computer. Without looking like an idiot. Not knowing where MS hid the settings. When on site.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Doubt it.

Here's hoping they announce the death of the Windows Registry. Now if it's a new kernel based off BSD like macOS. With something like Carbon for legacy software. Well that'd be a head scratcher. I just can't picture MS ever being that bold to dump the Registry and NT.

As for a new GUI. That's got me worried. Windows 8 was a mess. They really love to **** things up. Whether I love it or hate it. I'll have to use it. At least for a while to learn the ropes. Just so I can help clients when they have issues with a new computer. Without looking like an idiot. Not knowing where MS hid the settings. When on site.
Ew and go back to INI files? *shudder*

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts

Reactions: robotica

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
I have had my fill of Windows, started with Windows 1, yes 1, came on floppies, had to boot to a DOS prompt first. Used every version since up to Windows 7. I had a networking/computer business for twenty years in a rural area, sold 1000's of PC's, and Windows Small Business Servers. Now I am old and happy with my iMac, but still have a couple of Windows laptops.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
There will always be a ton of not the majority of notebook and desktop computer users who will run Windows. Personally, I’m done with Microsoft wherever possible, certainly in my personal life.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
There will always be a ton of not the majority of notebook and desktop computer users who will run Windows. Personally, I’m done with Microsoft wherever possible, certainly in my personal life.
As I mentioned before, there are just as many migration to windows from apple as the other way. it's a wash. People get sick of what they are using for various reasons. I will never move from microsoft unless FORCED to. I cannot stand MacOS, and Linux is way to out there for me.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
Hopefully it'll run on the 2011 iMac. If it won't then it could force my hand to move on to newer hardware.

Reactions: SigEp265

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
I'm only interested in what it will do for gaming, but yeah, a new Windows will be interesting to see after such a long time.
They are on their normal upgrade pattern. 6 years. windows 7 was around for 6 years. so, that's about the same. I am very excited to see what it's all about. I wonder do they have a better tablet mode cooked up. Apple "upgrades" their MacOS every year but with minimal changes. Its basically snow leopard regurgitated every year in design.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I have a newfound respect for Windows, it is no worse, no better than macOS when I compare the parts that are important to me. Apple wins on every level when it comes to integrations between devices and hardware for the most part. Software goes to Windows.

Swings and roundabout, I am comfortable switching between both these days.

mxrider88

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2019
Sydney, AU
I have a newfound respect for Windows, it is no worse, no better than macOS when I compare the parts that are important to me. Apple wins on every level when it comes to integrations between devices and hardware for the most part. Software goes to Windows.

Swings and roundabout, I am comfortable switching between both these days.
Apple could win on integration. If it worked..

• Haha
Reactions: PinkyMacGodess
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.