Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mxrider88

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2019
Sydney, AU
It works pretty darn good for me. Laptop - Phone - Watch > they all work great together. The primary reason why I went back to Apple.
Oh yeah? Lucky.. try to log your laptop on a second user account with fast user switching.. then tell me if it all works still..
Then try to airdrop say 50 photos to your partner’s phone.. and let me know how many times you have to try in order to successfully finish the transfer..

Then try to share 50 photos from your iPhone library to a shared album on iCloud and explain to me why the photos that are already in the cloud need to be downloaded on your phone (in a painfully slow way too, not dictated by my fibre connection at home by the way) and re uploaded into the shared album. This last process is so slow that I gave up. I have 300 photos I want to share with my partner and I gave up, because either I stare at the phone while it is downloading them or the screen goes on standby and the download ends and the procedure stops..

just a few questions :) try and let me know, in particular I’m curious about the multi user login

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Oh yeah? Lucky.. try to log your laptop on a second user account with fast user switching.. then tell me if it all works still..
Then try to airdrop say 50 photos to your partner’s phone.. and let me know how many times you have to try in order to successfully finish the transfer..

Then try to share 50 photos from your iPhone library to a shared album on iCloud and explain to me why the photos that are already in the cloud need to be downloaded on your phone (in a painfully slow way too, not dictated by my fibre connection at home by the way) and re uploaded into the shared album. This last process is so slow that I gave up. I have 300 photos I want to share with my partner and I gave up, because either I stare at the phone while it is downloading them or the screen goes on standby and the download ends and the procedure stops..

just a few questions :) try and let me know, in particular I’m curious about the multi user login

I don't use multi user login. Not going to use multi user login. I've use airdrop plenty of times. Never 50 photos at one time so your specific issues I don't need to address as they don't apply to me. You can complain about cloud all you want, but that's not "integration between devices".

What I am talking about is the fact that I can text and talk on my phone, watch, and laptop seamlessly. Yeah...it all works fine. I tried the same the last year on Windows with Samsung and that is just a joke in comparison.

mxrider88

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2019
Sydney, AU
I don't use multi user login. Not going to use multi user login. I've use airdrop plenty of times. Never 50 photos at one time so your specific issues I don't need to address as they don't apply to me. You can complain about cloud all you want, but that's not "integration between devices".

What I am talking about is the fact that I can text and talk on my phone, watch, and laptop seamlessly. Yeah...it all works fine. I tried the same the last year on Windows with Samsung and that is just a joke in comparison.
Alright

Reactions: TopherMan12

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

I often times have to switch between multiple macOS users. What problem are you facing?

Reactions: Slartibart

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
Is W11 finally based on Unix/Linux? If not, I will use W11 exactly for what I use previous versions, to play Solitaire (and a few other games).
W11 (if it's called that) will be similar to W10 but with some evolutionary changes. It'll still be pretty much the same as W10 under the hood one would think.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
Windows 8 was doomed cause it looked different.
Yes, not only that, it was not good on NON touch screen devices. When MS announced windows 10 it was supposed to have a full tablet and mobile system. A truly all in one OS. And it started that way. I loved w10m. The tablet experience in w10 was not that great however, and they just let it slide. So I hope they come around. I use touch alot on my windows machines for various things. I would love to have more functionality moving forward.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Yes, not only that, it was not good on NON touch screen devices. When MS announced windows 10 it was supposed to have a full tablet and mobile system. A truly all in one OS. And it started that way. I loved w10m. The tablet experience in w10 was not that great however, and they just let it slide. So I hope they come around. I use touch alot on my windows machines for various things. I would love to have more functionality moving forward.
Yeah, I want them to overhaul the experience on touchscreen devices.
1622992883774.png

Heck, give us Windows 11 Mobile! :p
1622993088197.png

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Hopefully Windows 11 is a free upgrade. Haven't paid for Windows since buying several Windows 8 keys direct from Microsoft for $15 in 2012 which got upgraded for free to Windows 10.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Hopefully Windows 11 is a free upgrade. Haven't paid for Windows since buying several Windows 8 keys direct from Microsoft for $15 in 2012 which got upgraded for free to Windows 10.

I haven't seen anything in W11 that really has me excited or interested.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I worked the GeekSquad at Best Buy during the Windows 8 launch. They allocated “15 minutes” with every new computer purchase to teach users the new “intuitive” interface. Sometimes I still have nightmares of those two months…

• Haha
Reactions: loby and grandM

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014

There's got to be significant changes for it to get a major version number. Hopefully more tuning under the hood to make it feel lightweight like Linux, replace DOS command line and PowerShell with transparent Linux shell, ability to run Android apps, further UI refinement, etc. So, pretty much integration of Windows, Linux and Android. I'd even pay for that.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
I have a newfound respect for Windows, it is no worse, no better than macOS when I compare the parts that are important to me. Apple wins on every level when it comes to integrations between devices and hardware for the most part. Software goes to Windows.

Swings and roundabout, I am comfortable switching between both these days.
If you are using samsung mobile, Integration is on par if not better than MacOS. The rest, it can be. I use dell mobile connect and I get all my texts, calls etc.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
They haven't showed anything yet, have they?

They have showed a few things. There are articles floating around about what's expected in it.

I use Windows as my base operating system, Linux under VMware running KVM macOS, VirtualBox running macOS and VMware running Windows. It's an extremely flexible setup. If I don't like how something works in an operating system, I just use a different one in a VM.

Reactions: TopherMan12

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
It will likely be free.
What have you seen so far?
There's got to be significant changes for it to get a major version number. Hopefully more tuning under the hood to make it feel lightweight like Linux, replace DOS command line and PowerShell with transparent Linux shell, ability to run Android apps, further UI refinement, etc. So, pretty much integration of Windows, Linux and Android. I'd even pay for that.
You're in luck! :)
They haven't showed anything yet, have they?
Officially? Not really...

Unofficially? Yes, a lot! :D
I think they might jump to Windows 12 to stay ahead of macOS. Windows 11 would be such an odd number.
The rumors say otherwise. I would prefer if they jumped ahead to Windows 20, but "Windows 11" is the most likely scenario.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.