Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
It will likely be free.

What have you seen so far?

You're in luck! :)

Officially? Not really...

Unofficially? Yes, a lot! :D

The rumors say otherwise. I would prefer if they jumped ahead to Windows 20, but "Windows 11" is the most likely scenario.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I think you should take a look at this article too.

Nothing of interest to me. I use Windows because I have to. I'd rather spend my optional time in Linux and macOS. One of the biggest issues for me is virtual desktop. I've run into users that moved from Windows to macOS mainly because of Virtual Desktop.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Nothing of interest to me. I use Windows because I have to. I'd rather spend my optional time in Linux and macOS. One of the biggest issues for me is virtual desktop. I've run into users that moved from Windows to macOS mainly because of Virtual Desktop.
Why are you forced to use Windows?

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Why are you forced to use Windows?

I have one program: Active Trader Pro which only runs well on Windows. It's a very old platform and written for Windows. Fidelity has it running under WINE but it doesn't run well. It runs even worse on M1 as it's WINE through Rosetta. The biggest pain on Windows is virtual desktop handling. So I use the Virtual Desktop functionality in macOS and Linux to improve workflow.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I have one program: Active Trader Pro which only runs well on Windows. It's a very old platform and written for Windows. Fidelity has it running under WINE but it doesn't run well. It runs even worse on M1 as it's WINE through Rosetta. The biggest pain on Windows is virtual desktop handling. So I use the Virtual Desktop functionality in macOS and Linux to improve workflow.
Why not use Parallels Desktop?

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Why not use Parallels Desktop?

RAM limitations on my MacBook Pro. It only has 16 GB of RAM. Running a big program in a VM running other stuff makes it cramped. My Windows system has 128 GB of RAM so plenty of room for my production programs.

One other thing is that Virtual Machines and 4k monitors don't work smoothly in my experience. I'm running WSXGA and 2,560x1,600 resolutions in Virtual Machines right now. The 2,560x1,600 results in graphical artifacts but I can live with them for some applications. The WSXGA runs well and I do like it but I suspect that it would perform poorly at 4K.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
for me i cant wait too see what window 11 will bring if MS calls it that on june 24th me after owning all apple stuff for a year i ended up selling it and i ended up swiching back too windows i can do so much more on windows then i can on a mac book pluse this year after one of te most boring updates ever i think the new window 11 and major UI updates will be fun

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
Dont have high hopes, it will still be windows 10, some UI changes, android emulator and some new features for families etc
Maybe they will call it windows 11 and it will be successor for the windows 10, but it will not be something dramatic
Its clear that i will have to try it in beta and see how it goes but for your main device, you should not install it for months
Windows 11 should be something more than a new look, rounded corners

Last edited:

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
another vote and supporter for windows!

hopefully we can still use windows 11
without coughing up a telephone number and credit card number
like other insecure computer companies demand.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I'm not sure what they have to do to fix windows 10. when it launched a few years ago, they were on the right track at reducing the clutter and bloat. the installation was fairly small and the system usage utlization was on par with many linux distributions.

Fast forward to today:

Windows10 is now as bloated as ever. More so than any windows that comes before it. Basic install takes anywhere from 30-40gb of disk space. Up from the 10-20 it was at launch.

At shipping, even without vendor bloatware, Win10 is using 2.5-3.5gb of RAM on it's own (removing default built in bloatware will reduce this to about 1.5).

the patching cycle is more intrusive than ever, especially on mobile devices where you can find your battery disapear instantly when windows decides for YOU when it's going to actually install patches in the background.

As a system administrator who supports hundreds of windows devices, i can say that it wasn't this bad 5 years ago. the lat 3-4 years from Microsoft have absolutely been the worst and most deplorable deployment routines I have encountered.

Everything they do now is Opt-Out instead of opt-in. having my users devices all suddenly using 300ish more RAM because they decided to push out another useless feature (weather/news on the taskbar) as a default ON feature is another example of Microsoft's software developers being out of touch with users and system administrators who have to actually administer this crap.

If There's a "win11". it needs to be yet another fresh start like windows 8 was from a kernel / internals perspective. Whatever has happened with Windows 10 is a complete and utter lack of proper direction from Microsoft. Heck, I have even had conversations with senior engineers there after raising several tickets about complete oversights in their back end that make system administration near impossible (Like the news feature being rolled out weeks/months before the ADMX files for GPO, resulting in a sys-admins inability to remove the news feature via GPO until they caught up)

I used to defend a lot of windows stuff. I still think it's a good OS if you're just a basic user who doesn't nothing other than run games or your standard office stuff. But they've gone right back down the spaghettification of the system, resulting in vast bloat, horrible backend experiences, and a nearly completely unmanageable set of tools from system administration.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Reading the details, like from Tech Radar, I have to say that I'm really excited more so then when word first started leaking out
IMO, Windows Vista was the last major internal/external Windows supercycle. With all of this information coming out about Windows 11, I think we're about to see that happen again.

Sun Valley is Longhorn! :p

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Reading the details, like from Tech Radar, I have to say that I'm really excited more so then when word first started leaking out
THIS feature might be stolen in iOSX16, or 17

Tablet mode has been one of Windows' weaker points ever since Windows 8.
However the most important feature currently rumored is a new ‘gesture layer’ that would sit above the user interface and allow trackpad-like gestures on a touchscreen.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Dont have high hopes, it will still be windows 10, some UI changes, android emulator and some new features for families etc
Maybe they will call it windows 11 and it will be successor for the windows 10, but it will not be something dramatic
Its clear that i will have to try it in beta and see how it goes but for your main device, you should not install it for months
Windows 11 should be something more than a new look, rounded corners
just like Catalina, BigSur, Monterey, Butte, Death Valley etc

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I thought Windows 10 was intended to be the 'last version of Windows?' That was the official rule at the time, with later versions just being OTA or software updates.

Or are they trying to catch up with the naming scheme of macOS after they went to version 11 with Big Sur?

Reactions: Nightfury326

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I thought Windows 10 was intended to be the 'last version of Windows?' That was the official rule at the time, with later versions just being OTA or software updates.

Or are they trying to catch up with the naming scheme of macOS after they went to version 11 with Big Sur?

I'm thinking that "windows as a service" didn't turn out to be as successful as they thought it was.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I’m seriously considering because apple ecosystem is falling apart. More bugs than features. I am looking forward for the windows announcement more than wwdc. First time in 18 years..
Windows 10 is no better. When it first launched I loved LOOOOOVEED Windows 10, but all these feature updates are causing massive issues for me. Apple AND Microsoft need to just SLOW.....DOWN. Release updates every 2+ years like before.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I'm not sure what they have to do to fix windows 10. when it launched a few years ago, they were on the right track at reducing the clutter and bloat. the installation was fairly small and the system usage utlization was on par with many linux distributions.

Fast forward to today:

Windows10 is now as bloated as ever. More so than any windows that comes before it. Basic install takes anywhere from 30-40gb of disk space. Up from the 10-20 it was at launch.

At shipping, even without vendor bloatware, Win10 is using 2.5-3.5gb of RAM on it's own (removing default built in bloatware will reduce this to about 1.5).

the patching cycle is more intrusive than ever, especially on mobile devices where you can find your battery disapear instantly when windows decides for YOU when it's going to actually install patches in the background.

As a system administrator who supports hundreds of windows devices, i can say that it wasn't this bad 5 years ago. the lat 3-4 years from Microsoft have absolutely been the worst and most deplorable deployment routines I have encountered.

Everything they do now is Opt-Out instead of opt-in. having my users devices all suddenly using 300ish more RAM because they decided to push out another useless feature (weather/news on the taskbar) as a default ON feature is another example of Microsoft's software developers being out of touch with users and system administrators who have to actually administer this crap.

If There's a "win11". it needs to be yet another fresh start like windows 8 was from a kernel / internals perspective. Whatever has happened with Windows 10 is a complete and utter lack of proper direction from Microsoft. Heck, I have even had conversations with senior engineers there after raising several tickets about complete oversights in their back end that make system administration near impossible (Like the news feature being rolled out weeks/months before the ADMX files for GPO, resulting in a sys-admins inability to remove the news feature via GPO until they caught up)

I used to defend a lot of windows stuff. I still think it's a good OS if you're just a basic user who doesn't nothing other than run games or your standard office stuff. But they've gone right back down the spaghettification of the system, resulting in vast bloat, horrible backend experiences, and a nearly completely unmanageable set of tools from system administration.
Fully agree with this. I woke up one morning and found that weather/news on my taskbar just out of the blue. It seriously frustrated me.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
^^ I noticed that weather 'widget' and thought it was malware or some crapware toolbar my boss got from inadvertently clicking on some advert (it's the work PC, and she doesn't understand the bliss of adblock)

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
^^ I noticed that weather 'widget' and thought it was malware or some crapware toolbar my boss got from inadvertently clicking on some advert (it's the work PC, and she doesn't understand the bliss of adblock)
we had several users submit tickets over it because they thought the same.

I was impressed by our users to notice it and report it honestly lol

They just frustrate me to no ****in end.

the other day I had to pull call records in teams from the administrator panel for a user. The on screen web output is fantastic. has all the data in perfect layout.

there's literally no export feature. There is no way to get that information into usable data format.

I opened a ticket. Ended up talkin to an engineer. "We never thought of that... you should raise a ticket!"

THEY ARE SO ****ING FRUSTRATING TO DEAL WITH.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I used to get 'smarter' reps over the phone by doing a decent impression of Roy D Mercer. "Y'all givin' me the runaround here!"

I do miss the days of coherent American support. These days those poor Indians can't work outside their script, but a few comments about 'I'm gonna whoop your ***' tends to eventually make them escalate further up the chain.

I'm so sick of being treated like some moron who can't read a manual and have to be repeatedly asked to 'turn it off and back on again' as if that wasn't my first attempt at fixing the darned thing! Obviously these days I only phone support once I've tried all that level 1 crap!

Tech today is made for idiots, treats users like idiots. Smart folks like myself are apparently deemed irrelevant. I remember the uninformative errors Windows 8 used to have, from the frowny face BSoD to the 'this app doesn't work'. Diagnosing was easier when I could plug in hexadecimals into Google. The 'masses' or 'mainstream' idiots today have made life frustrating for this old curmudgeon.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Zero expectations or excitement. Interested to see something new'er.

I've been a Microsoft MVP since XP and MSDN subscriber since 2000; still administer a few small office of my own, around 65 total PC's and half a dozen Macs.
I stay fairly active across both platforms then fill in with Linux variations when Windows or Apple won't do. I personally got past that point of trying to force a piece of software to do what I want and just use the piece that was intended to do the job.

Very interested but my son and I will be traveling a bit for the rest of the month and I'll be playing catch-up if any information comes out on the 24th.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.