Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2012
As the title says, I’m struggling to understand the appeal of wireless charging on an iPhone beyond a particular set of circumstances.

For me personally, I see no use case for it at home.

I’ve seen posts from forum members who have wireless charging pads in either their bedrooms or living rooms (or both).

When I’m at home, I often use my phone, so until wireless charging becomes effective, “through the air” I would be regularly taking it off the pad whilst it was charging.

That can’t be good for the battery.

I can, however, see the use case for it in the car, because you should be communicating with the phone whilst driving without having to touch it at all.

I can also see the benefits of using wireless charging pads for a quick boost in bars, cafes, restaurants, fast food outlets etc.

I just don’t see it for home use . . . at least not until it is truly wireless.

Reactions: SRLMJ23

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I use it all the time. Wireless charger on my desk at work. Check phone, plop back on. It's second nature now, much like Face ID to unlock.

It's infinitely more convenient and there's no deliberate action to charge it. I don't even think about it any more.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
Just a convience factor.
On your desk/stand you simply lay the phone down to charge. It is quick and easy vs. Messing with a cable and stops wear on the actual charging port.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I see the appeal for certain situations, but inductive charging would not be something that I needed in an iPhone.

Using it in a car, especially when wireless CarPlay would be an ideal way of charging.

But, in most cases, I think that using a charging pad would be only a tiny bit more convenient that plugging in a cable. You still have to bring the device to a particular area to charge it, whether it be a pad or cable, and wouldn't using a cable charge it more quickly?

I also wonder about this. At the very least, would repeatedly picking a phone up off the charging pad, and putting it back down cause the pmu to have to be recalibrated more often?

I would like to think that Apple has thought of all of this already, but given the issues of throttling, maybe they have not.

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I Prefer to use corded for the majority of time when I’m using my iPhone. At times I use my phone while it’s charging, where wireless charging is convenient for just the placement purpose without the attached wire, but it’s not something that I absolutely need either. Its just an alternative for those who want the added convenience.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Wireless charging has limited appeal and is probably one of the reasons why Apple waited before introducing it.

In most cases, a cable already offers the flexibility of using and charging at the same time.

When you add a piece of glass to substitute part of the rear aluminum frame, you add weight and thickness. You can see evidence of this with the smaller capacity battery in the iPhone 8 vs. iPhone 7.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
As the title says, I’m struggling to understand the appeal of wireless charging on an iPhone beyond a particular set of circumstances.

I’ve seen posts from forum members who have wireless charging pads in either their bedrooms or living rooms (or both).

When I’m at home, I often use my phone, so until wireless charging becomes effective, “through the air” I would be regularly taking it off the pad whilst it was charging.

I can, however, see the use case for it in the car, because you should be communicating with the phone whilst driving without having to touch it at all.

I can also see the benefits of using wireless charging pads for a quick boost in bars, cafes, restaurants, fast food outlets etc.

Simply a layer of convenience. (Similar to a car key fob, for example.)

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I didn't see the need for using before I actually started using it
Now, it is just so convenient for me that I never even think about it
As others have said, it isn't a deal breaker, but I have appreciated it more than I thought I would

Reactions: nospleen and Cayden

jshtroutman

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2016
I don’t have wireless charging on my current phone. That is however the feature I’m most looking forward to when upgrading. I know it won’t be plausible in every charging situation but I cannot stand trying to plug in my lighting cable in the dark. I will have a wireless charging option on my nightstand for sure!

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Very interesting replies so far, thank you.

It seems convenience is the key factor for those that use it and also not worrying about any potential impact on the battery by picking it up and putting it back regularly.

I doubt I’ll personally get passed my concerns in that regard, so I’m with JPack continuing to use a wire when at home.

I may invest in one for the car though and will use any for a top up that are made available in bars etc.

The real advance will be when over the air charging reaches practical speeds, although they may have to do something clever with the software to stop it charging before it reaches 100% as Li Ion batteries don’t like to be kept fully charged for an extended period of time.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

It's great for at night, not sure the last time i used a cable to charge. I leave it on my wireless stand each night and it's good to go for the morning. Using it on a pad during the day when charging then putting back on does not hurtg your battery at all. Certainly not over a 1-2 year period when most would upgrade anyway

Reactions: walkthruwalls

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England

It seems convenience is the key factor for those that use it and also not worrying about any potential impact on the battery by picking it up and putting it back regularly.

I doubt I’ll personally get passed my concerns in that regard, so I’m with JPack continuing to use a wire when at home.

I may invest in one for the car though and will use any for a top up that are made available in bars etc.

The real advance will be when over the air charging reaches practical speeds, although they may have to do something clever with the software to stop it charging before it reaches 100% as Li Ion batteries don’t like to be kept fully charged for an extended period of time.

While I'm not concerned about any impact on the battery by removing it from and putting it back on the charger repeatedly, I do have an angled charging stand on my desk which allows me to use the phone for many things without removing it from the charger.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016

I don’t believe there is a big impact on the battery if any. Wireless charging is a slower and more gentle charge than most cable chargers and the amount of charge cycles on the battery will remain the same.

In other words: the mileage is the same, you simply put the fuel in slightly different and slower.

Reactions: walkthruwalls

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
I’ve just got an iPhone 8 Plus and picked up a Belkin Wireless Charger for £29. It’s great to use on the bedside table. Just pop it on (even whilst it’s still in the Apple Silicone Case). I find it quite convenient.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
The lightning port could be the next to go. Wireless becoming ubiquitous and convenient, same pad works on Samsung, Apple and others.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The lightning port could be the next to go. Wireless becoming ubiquitous and convenient, same pad works on Samsung, Apple and others.

That depends on your timeline of “Next to go”. I don’t think that will happen anytime soon, like years away. But the lightning port as a whole, Apples ecosystem is completely wrapped around the lightning port with the AirPods, iPhone, iPod, iPad, not to mention all the accessories they sell. It Retains the consumer in this cycle where they can use their devices with their cables. The Lightning port is a huge monopoly for Apple in that category alone.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
I am amused about how short sighted we could be and are. What about somebody who is blind or has lost one or both hands? Wireless charging could be a game changer for them. Think beyond yourself, when you question the utility of a feature.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Wireless charging will have some impact on the longevity of the battery overall. The primary factor will be the additional heat generated compared with wired charging. However...
  • The effect will be so small it isn't worth worrying about.
  • There are so many factors that can impact battery longevity, of which heat is just one.
  • Claims like "heat = bad" are true in a general sense, but if any individual battery failed prematurely, heat (and hence wireless charging) can't be proven to be the cause.
  • The battery is a consumable component anyway - it will fail eventually.

Wireless charging has limited appeal and is probably one of the reasons why Apple waited before introducing it.

In most cases, a cable already offers the flexibility of using and charging at the same time.

When you add a piece of glass to substitute part of the rear aluminum frame, you add weight and thickness. You can see evidence of this with the smaller capacity battery in the iPhone 8 vs. iPhone 7.
Agreed. In fact, Phil Schiller once publicly criticised wireless charging!

The allure of wireless charging also didn't appeal to the company, with Schiller pointing out that users would ultimately need to plug a charger into a power outlet anyway. "Having to create another device you have to plug into the wall is actually, for most situations, more complicated."
I'm surprised more hasn't been made out of that comment...

Reactions: eyeseeyou

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2012
I am amused about how short sighted we could be and are. What about somebody who is blind or has lost one or both hands? Wireless charging could be a game changer for them. Think beyond yourself, when you question the utility of a feature.

That's a little unfair on the thread contributors.

People will have moments in their week when they reflect so selflessly, but how many of us honestly think like this all of the time?

You do cite some valid use cases, however.

Reactions: 44267547

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
It’s so much more convenient than fumbling around for a cable. Honestly I now feel like a cave man when I have to plug in a lightning cable into my iPhone to charge it.

Reactions: kltmom
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.