Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you
Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

SisterBlue22

macrumors demi-goddess
Apr 29, 2015
Arizona
Mind sharing a link to the stand you use? I'd like to have one for my desk as the pad I currently use doesn't work for the situation you describe. The stands that I've seen have such extreme angles that they're pointing more toward the ceiling than my face.

You bet. All of mine are Seneos - same model, some with AC adapter and some without depending on where I needed them.

This is the one I have that included the AC adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071FNL73K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this is the version that does not come with an AC adapter. I have three of these, my fiancee has one, and multiple people I know have bought the exact same one on my recommendation and they all love them too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0IL0QX/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
It's nice to have one charger that can charge different devices (Qi) without having to plug/unplug cables. Just set it on there and charge.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Seriously you plug your phone in to charge it? That's just ridiculous. I can't remember the last time I plug in my phone for anything, lighting port be gone..

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
My bedside lamp has wireless charging capability built in to the base. It’s so convenient that my wall charger and cable haven’t left my travel bag since I upgraded last year.

It works well for me but then i’m not such a heavy user that a full charge doesn’t see me through the day, so never really had to use my phone while it’s charging.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I still prefer to plug my phone in to charge due to the fact that it's simply faster and it backs up iTunes and yes, I still backup to iTunes.

I have 2 Samsing wireless fast chargers here so I can charge my Note 8 and 8+ at the same time but I still prefer to plug both in due to the faster charging speeds.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Seriously you plug your phone in to charge it? That's just ridiculous. I can't remember the last time I plug in my phone for anything, lighting port be gone..

You’re missing a few things. The lightning port still serves other purposes just besides charging. Headphones, iTune back ups, its also its used for diagnostics

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I mean I have multiple iPhone users in my home. Would need to buy one for the bedroom, a few for our living room, one for my job and possibly a special one for my car.

Plus I’m used to being able to use my phone while it’s charging although it might prevent me from messing with my phone while I’m supposed to be going to bed lol

I guess it depends on what someone's charging needs are. I don't actually need to charge my iPhone X at all during the day. I can charge it overnight and still have 20% or more by the end of the day. Occasionally I've gotten it down to 5% or so on a day with heavy use. I do have a $5 stand at work that I keep my X on, and if I replaced that with a charging stand I doubt I would ever see my battery dip below 80%!

We have a couple of iPhones and three iPads in our house, so we have some charging cables in the office and one in the kitchen. My iPhone is the only one that supports wireless, so I just put the wireless charging stand on my nightstand so I don't have to fumble with the lightning cable in the dark. I can still charge it on one of the downstairs cables if I want to, but I never bother.

I think the value is in putting one in a location where you frequently interact with your iPhone. Yes you can use your iPhone while charging it if you have a cable plugged in, but it's kind of annoying to have a cable hanging off your iPhone isn't it? If you had a wireless charging pad, you might not need to use your iPhone while it's charging. I guess we are really talking minor conveniences vs minor inconveniences. I never thought I cared about wireless charging until I tried it, and now I look forward to my future iPad supporting it as well.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
You’re missing a few things. The lightning port still serves other purposes just besides charging. Headphones, iTune back ups, its also its used for diagnostics

Well I have airpods and my phone backs up to iCloud doesn't yours? Now diagnostic port? Well you could probably go with something like the Apple Watch for that. That said I get that it can be used to plug other things in like guitars so that would become an issue. I could only image the uproar of no port LOL.

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
after having issues with the thunderbolt input on a 6 the wireless charging on the 8 plus is a definite plus for me

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Beyond what has been mentioned, Lightning port is also useful for transferring camera photos via the SD reader. I back up via iTunes because due to all the photos and music I keep icloud takes forever. I listen to music all day so due to Apple’s “wisdom” in removing the headphone jack the lightning port is all I have; wireless earbuds don’t last long enough now, never mind after a year of use.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013

Since I've had my iPhone X (Nov 3) the lightning port has been used once. One charge prior to getting a Qi charger.
That port would be the next hole I'd like to see go by-by. Next up would be the SIM tray.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2012
. . . That (lightning) port would be the next hole I'd like to see go by-by. Next up would be the SIM tray.

I’m always intrigued by posts like yours.

Agree with you on the SIM tray as a better solution looks to be available with internal chip based SIMs.

Why would you want to see the only remaining port that’s of any use to anyone removed though?

Many people use it every day. Is it really inconveniencing you that much that you’d deprive them of that capability?

Reactions: 44267547

mkriss

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2017
Wireless charging is about ~70% efficient. So if everybody uses then it huuuge increase and we need to make more energy and pollute our home earth, because be can't simply plug wire?

I wouldn't use it because it will charge faster with wire, less polution on earth because less energy is needed and save money on electric bill.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
after having issues with the thunderbolt input on a 6 the wireless charging on the 8 plus is a definite plus for me

IOS devices don’t feature Thunderbolt. Their connector is called Lightning. Related, but not the same thing.

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
Since I picked up the 8 plus, I have found wireless charging to be one of the phone's best features. It seems to me that since I started wireless charging my phone's battery is always ready to go. I put a charging base in my bedroom, one in my office, and one in the kitchen. I just walk into a room, set the phone down on the base and forget about it. Nothing to plug in. I can look over at the base glowing from across the room and know my phone is still charging. No need to walk over and pick up the phone to check it. I personally want the feature on every phone I buy from now on.

Jonr515

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2017
Midwest!
It's great for at night, not sure the last time i used a cable to charge. I leave it on my wireless stand each night and it's good to go for the morning. Using it on a pad during the day when charging then putting back on does not hurtg your battery at all. Certainly not over a 1-2 year period when most would upgrade anyway

I also typically only charge at night (verticalish stand, I work from home in the rare occasion I have to charge during the day I have a flat wireless charger, my headphones tell me who's calling so it works out pretty good. No different then wired charging the phone would still be on its back.

Reactions: The Game 161

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I usually forget to charge my phone, so I just plug into my Anker IQ usb charger and can fast charge up to 50% fairly quickly. I can also play games and do other things while charging. If I were to charge via wireless, it'd take forever and I wouldn't be able to really use the phone much.

I can see the appeal of wireless charging IF Apple releases their AirPower mat sometime in the next year and IF it actually fast charges.

My coworker has one of those Samsung fast charge mats for his S8+, and it works pretty great. He was convincing me to buy one to use it on my iPhone X, but I believe Apple is choking on most unofficial 3rd party accessories at 5W and topping at 7.5W for official 3rd party accessories.

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
When I’m at home, I often use my phone, so until wireless charging becomes effective, “through the air” I would be regularly taking it off the pad whilst it was charging.

I can, however, see the use case for it in the car, because you should be communicating with the phone whilst driving without having to touch it at all.

I can also see the benefits of using wireless charging pads for a quick boost in bars, cafes, restaurants, fast food outlets etc.

You're first case at home doesn't make sense unless you presently have your phone plugged into a charger while home. Can't say much about wireless car charging as well. I have it in my new right and the phone has to lay against the charger pad.

Your last case DOES sound like a good idea for a quick boost at at bar. However, if that were a choice, there would be thousands of phone left in place when they forgot to put the phones back in their pockets.

We do have a wireless pad at home that my wife uses and seems to do a fair job. However, I think the only advantage with one of these is you're not stressing the phone's charger port by jamming the charging cord into it. I had a previous phone (I think it was the 5S) that the port failed.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
yes , but the cable is a thunderbolt cable

going in --->

so that's why i called it an input

It is a Lightning cable and a lightning port.
Macs have Thunderbolt ports and cables but they have a different connector.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Since I picked up the 8 plus, I have found wireless charging to be one of the phone's best features. It seems to me that since I started wireless charging my phone's battery is always ready to go. I put a charging base in my bedroom, one in my office, and one in the kitchen. I just walk into a room, set the phone down on the base and forget about it. Nothing to plug in. I can look over at the base glowing from across the room and know my phone is still charging. No need to walk over and pick up the phone to check it. I personally want the feature on every phone I buy from now on.

That I agree is a really convenient feature with wireless charging is to be able to know your device is still charging without checking the phone. Probably not enough of a feature to entice me to want to purchase a wireless charging base, but something to consider if the Airpower incorporates something similar.

Reactions: bopajuice

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Does wireless syncing with iTunes work as well as with a cable?

By wireless do you mean qi? I don’t believe qi can sync data, only deliver power, but I could be wrong. Can anyone confirm?

If you mean WiFi syncing with iTunes, I believe it’s generally a little slower than cable. But note you can’t backup to iTunes via WiFi, only cable for some reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.