Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

londoner33

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2014
I'll wait at least 6 months to see if Blizzard keeps its promises this time, as historically, they haven't.

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
Again, I think a lot of people just expect if they voice their opinion on something it will be changed.

What specific changes are you disliking?

For the record, I've played a Warlock and Warrior since release and I'm absolutely loving the changes.

That's not really it. Sure, some players waltz into a Beta and expect everything changed just because they wanted wrote about it. That's not really what most players think when accepted.

I won't list what I'm disliking, since it doesn't have any relevance tbh. Glad you enjoy 7.0. =P
[doublepost=1469137239][/doublepost]
Well, I was finally able to get in game last night. I think my time as a WoW player is coming to an end (been a player since Vanilla alpha). My poor 2010 MBP was barely pushing 15 FPS with everything on low or off and turning the resolution to 800x600.

My computer is great for everything else, so really no need to upgrade for any other reason, not going to shell out money just to play WoW.

Now I just wish there was a way to get a refund of the pre-order.

As far as mechanics go, the 5 things I soloed as a disc priest didn't go so bad, so perhaps a bit of over reaction to Blizz's own words. And my arcane mage was putting out some massive damage, but mana was going fast.

I'd wait a couple weeks, since the performance difference between the Beta and now Live are very different for the worse on Live. See if the Mac devs can identify what they've messed up. Granted, your computer may be on the low end of the supported list or simply unsupported. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/14881058940?page=1

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
That's not really it. Sure, some players waltz into a Beta and expect everything changed just because they wanted wrote about it. That's not really what most players think when accepted.

I won't list what I'm disliking, since it doesn't have any relevance tbh. Glad you enjoy 7.0. =P
[doublepost=1469137239][/doublepost]

I'd wait a couple weeks, since the performance difference between the Beta and now Live are very different for the worse on Live. See if the Mac devs can identify what they've messed up. Granted, your computer may be on the low end of the supported list or simply unsupported. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/14881058940?page=1

Oh, I'm not removing WoW from the hard drive just yet. I will see if it gets better in the next coming weeks.

But honestly, my graphics card has been unsupported now since Mists, I believe. I was still able to play with everything on low or off and get 35FPs give or take a few through MoP and WoD. It was playable at least.

wubsylol

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2014

I think it's exactly that. Using the example of the view distance changes; having a thread with a zillion replies disagreeing with a change doesn't mean that the change is going to be reversed. It's naive to think that Blizzard aiming for greater transparency means they will explain, in detail, every single design decision and their rationale behind it and I don't think they've ever designed based purely on Beta forums feedback. I repeat that I think the Legion beta has had the biggest Blue presence on the Beta forums .

Furthermore, the scope of the Beta is, overall, so small. There's been plenty of examples of changes making it through Beta but being reversed (or further modified) once data started coming in from Live. "Is it fun" is a pretty subjective question and some yelling in the class feedback thread doesn't definitively answer it.

At the end of the day, there has always been complaining at the start of an expansion. Some people just don't like change.

Suspended
Sep 15, 2012
Now I just wish there was a way to get a refund of the pre-order.

Just call and ask them, or open a support ticket in Battle.net. You should be able to get a refund for a product you have not received.

Unless they try to use the free level 100 boost or whatever they offer as pre-order bonus against you. Then I'd do a chargeback.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Hmm, loaded the big patch because I do on occasion dip back into Warcraft, so it lets me do the download,
I then press play to see what it did and I get the message that they are moving up an OS and that to play in the
future I must upgrade my OS. Could have told me that before I bothered to install the patch for Legion.

Cannot put here what my out loud response to that was, but I can say is that my Hard Drive is 50GB better off today.

wubsylol

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2014
Hmm, loaded the big patch because I do on occasion dip back into Warcraft, so it lets me do the download,
I then press play to see what it did and I get the message that they are moving up an OS and that to play in the
future I must upgrade my OS. Could have told me that before I bothered to install the patch for Legion.

Cannot put here what my out loud response to that was, but I can say is that my Hard Drive is 50GB better off today.

Can I... Have your stuff?

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
I have been religiously playing FFXIV for over a year now, it renewed all the love for WoW I used to have during vanilla to mists (the peak being TBC and Wrath of course). I quit playing WoW during Draenor even though at the very first month it felt like the best WoW in years, but quickly became stale and all about playing the single player mobile game of Garrison.

I'm going to get 30 days of WoW now and test it to see how it is. Not buying Legion just yet. My class of choice has been disc priest since Cata and I'm very pleased with the changes to core mechanics, however I've read that at the moment it's in need of serious buffs. We shall see soon.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Can I... Have your stuff?

Haha nice try, I did not say I was leaving Warcraft just that I removed it from my main drive.

I have another bootup drive which runs El Capitan which is only used when there is no other option.

Also there is a big Warcraft player in the family who would get my stuff :)

happycadaver

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2012
Germany
Is WoW still worth it as a MMORPG, if you start playing by scratch in 2016? For example, if you happen to get bored by LOTRO and GW?

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Is WoW still worth it as a MMORPG, if you start playing by scratch in 2016? For example, if you happen to get bored by LOTRO and GW?

I would say there is plenty to keep you busy in there especially going in with a new character.

joemod

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Athens, Greece

In my opinion you will have a lot to do but don't expect that you will find meaningful RPG elements. If you play in an RP server you may RP with others but there is no NPC RP interaction like Star Wars for example. At early levels you may not experience the MMO element in the open world as most players are already max leveled. You may meet them in big cities, although they may not be central hubs. Finally if you like PvP, don't expect impactful Horde vs Alliance battles. Mostly instanced a.k.a. sandboxed (my biggest objection with this game).

wubsylol

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2014
Is it normal for the WoW folder to be 65 gigs? Did Legion really require an extra 25 gb?

Blizzard switched to a new system for patching, streaming, downloading and storing the game data around WoD (I think) called CASC.

It currently doesn't include any kind of garbage collection, so after major patches (like 7.0) your data folder ends up inflated with a huge amount of unnecessary data.

Unfortunately, there isn't currently anything you can do to free up that space beyond completely reinstalling the game (or deleting the Data folder and having the Launcher download it again).

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
65GB is still quite large when the max should be around 52GB after all said and done. They switched to CASC system at 6.0. That isn't going to cause the bloated folder Miharu is experiencing. But, as with every other major content patch, when they flip the switch for the Broken Isle, they'll release a small patch with some minor things, including the usual garbage collection to clean the folder of old files. They didn't do that for 7.0. They did switch to the new streaming crapola for in game cinematic and the likes, which isn't ideal. Unless Miharu has 13GB in addons (wouldn't be completely unheard of), then best bet is a clean install of World of Warcraft. I checked mine again and it's been sitting at 41GB since 7.0. Some have 52GB, others have 38GB...nothings been said why the discrepancies between accounts yet.

I'll be running a friends alt through DS this evening, which has a few cinematics and will double check if that increases things yet.

wubsylol

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2014
Actually, it is going to cause the bloated folder because CASC doesn't have any form of garbage collection.

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
Actually, it is going to cause the bloated folder because CASC doesn't have any form of garbage collection.

Actually, it's not since their patch replaces and discards what isn't needed. They'll do so when the expansion comes out officially. And 65GB vs. the standard 52GB is pretty unusual hence the suggestion to do a fresh install.
[doublepost=1469846125][/doublepost]By the way, CASC is messed up in Legion. Blizz had this grand idea to stream cinematic and such while the game plays, so when like is plaguing the Beta, you quit the game it just hangs and freezes. This leads to corrupting the Data folder even though players didn't do anything wrong on their parts. The person with the 65GB folder could try deleting that folder and seeing if that helps, but it'll all happen over again. Blizz is aware of their screw ups and are actively trying to fix it.

wubsylol

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2014
Sorry, but you're wrong.

It's been documented numerous times that CASC doesn't delete obsolete data.

When CASC was rolled out with 6.0 garbage collection and culling obsolete data was marked as a priority, however it has not progressed any further.

Furthermore, we have all the expansion data as of the pre-patch. On August 30th they literally flip a switch and enable it, any patches between the pre-patch and release are not major changes (such as deleting 15GB worth of obsolete data).

Last edited:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Sorry, but you're wrong.

I don't believe that he said CASC deletes obsolete data. I believe he's stating that the final installer will be coded to delete obsolete data (I have no idea if it will or will not).

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
Sorry, but you're wrong.

When CASC was rolled out with 6.0 garbage collection and culling obsolete data was marked as a priority, however it has not progressed any further.

Furthermore, we have all the expansion data as of the pre-patch. On August 30th they literally flip a switch and enable it, any patches between the pre-patch and release are not major changes (such as deleting 15GB worth of obsolete data).

Oh jeez. Please re-read what I even typed at this point jeebus. lol. As with any expansion, there's always a small patch which cleans things up. It's always happened, every..single...expansion. They do it with every patch. You may not see it entirely, but it happens. That's a fact of life. 65GB is too big, plain and simple when the max it should be is 52GB. That's a proven fact. You can even gander at the forums what both the devs, mvp and players state before you come claiming to me how wrong I am, yet again. I'm not bothering linking the oodles of discussions about it, since you know all. I did tell the person they can either reinstall WoW or try deleting their Data folder, but right now deleting the folder probably won't solve things entirely. Their CASC system for Legion is all sorts of messed up, again proven fact as well as the way they're pushing things out. They're aware of this and working to come up with a solution. You seem to want to tell me I'm wrong about everything so far. I eagerly await you doing so again. ;)

wubsylol

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2014
Rather than have a discussion about this, you've thrown your crayons on the floor like a child and started making outlandish and sarcastic statements like "since you know all".

I've explained to you twice why your comments are incorrect and rather than engage with what I've said and discuss it with me, you've responded like clown.

GG BRO LOL

Last edited:

Fnord

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2005
When I installed Blizzard's "Heroes of the Storm" game it defaulted to putting itself into my "World of Warcraft" folder. So my "World of Warcraft" folder also includes 14 GB or so for that game.

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
Thanks for the info everyone. I don't want to lose my settings so I'll just delete the data folder, or backup my interface, WTF and screenshot folders and delete everything. My addons are 8,5 MB only ^^ Before 7.0 the WoW folder size was less than 40GB.

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
Rather than have a discussion about this, you've thrown your crayons on the floor like a child and started making outlandish and sarcastic statements like "since you know all".

I've explained to you twice why your comments are incorrect and rather than engage with what I've said and discuss it with me, you've responded like clown.

GG BRO LOL

Nothing to even discuss, when you yourself kept starting everything off with "you're wrong" even though you kept reading what I typed incorrectly. The whole "Sorry, but you're wrong" remarks were a bit more childish and rude. And taking exactly one 4 word phrase as personal as you just did is silly. What you should've done, is either try proving your proclamations (you'd be hard pressed to) or actually read what was typed, looked around a little bit (not exactly difficult information to find) and owned up. Even when talking about a simple opinion about past Alphas and Betas, you just had to go out of your way to inform me I'm wrong. You've responded irresponsibly. Let's be realistic. If Blizz didn't patch in to get rid of obsolete files and such, the WoW folder would be well over 1000GB at this rate. Food for thought. Now, moving on.

wubsylol

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2014
You're typing a lot of words for someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

GG BRO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.