Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I just checked my WoW folder size. I simply let it download the new stuff to an existing installation and do its thing per usual. As of right now (8/2/16) World of Warcraft for Mac occupies 52.32 GB on my iMac.

I have no idea what manages what or how but that is what I wound up with here.

As for class balance changes and the usual multitude of other changes with an expansion I really have to say, welcome to the ever changing world of MMORPGs. Every one of them changes over time. If you cannot hack that you probably need to play other kinds of games as these will repeatedly rock your boat and upset you. Change is a way of life in WoW and in every other MMO I have ever played and I've been playing them since early EverQuest and Asheron's Call.

When people become upset about change I think they forget that the developers are not out to get them, are not incompetent, don't listen, listen to the wrong people, listen to whiners, ignore legitimate gripes, etc. What really is going on is that they are trying to make the game better iteratively over time. Inevitably, some changes will wind up having unexpected consequences once they go live and need further refinement. In game systems this huge and complex from a software engineering standpoint the pursuit of the holy grail of perfect balance and everyone being happy for the most part most of the time is a never ending battle.

Don't worry. If you hate something and a lot of other people feel the same way you do, it probably will change if it truly is detrimental to the game overall.

If you like WoW or any other MMO for that matter, ride out the changes and be constructive with feedback if you care to bother offering it on the forums, etc. You get a lot farther with sugar. They are trying. I really do believe that having worked in development myself. However, it is so much more complex to balance and change things and try to get it all just right than users are normally able to appreciate. They want to please you. They want you to be happy with the game. They want to feel proud of their work. They want to enjoy playing it themselves.

Blizzard developers actually do communicate quite a lot with users about changes, the thinking behind them and they do take feedback seriously. Those complaining that they do not must have missed the recent series of developer chats on twitch I think it was where various major areas of development and change in the game were discussed in detail. What I saw in watching these was an acknowledgement of legitimate criticism and a commitment to continue trying to make it the best game they can.

I'm not saying all this as a fanboy blind to WoW's issues. There is plenty of room for improvement to be sure but I also think it gets a lot right and for the most part have a lot of fun with it. I don't expect perfection with any software and it is a good thing because there is no such thing and I doubt there ever will be.

By the way, my response to the usual flood of changes for an expansion is to do absolutely nothing, as in I haven't even logged in for all the pre-release hoopla yet. I'm busy with other stuff and I'll let the dust settle for a while on the normal issues of server disconnects, bugs and the rest of it. It's enough to deal with logging into toons who don't work the same as before without the other issues too. I like to set myself up for a little better experience by waiting a bit at times like these. I might login tonight finally but I might not get to it. WoW will be there when I feel like it.

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Metal helps a bit on machines with stronger GPUs. Think iMacs and the Mac Pro. It doesn't help on iGPU systems though (base 15'' RMPB, 13'' RMBP, MBA, RMB).

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
Take it with a grain of salt, especially since a couple of those people quoted are playing on Hackintosh with top of the line GPUs so of course they'll see some pretty big difference. >.<

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I found an appreciable improvement in testing Metal vs DX11 on a late-2013 27" iMac with 3.4 i5, 8 GB RAM, Nvidia 775m 2GB RAM with same settings in each. The recommended settings were 1440p in both cases but in macOS they were level 7 globally and in Windows 10 they were level 6 globally for some reason. To make a comparison, I increased the slider one notch to level 7 in Windows 10 before doing some cursory testing.

On the Mac side I am running the latest El Capitan with the stock Nvidia driver, not the web driver. On the Windows side, I removed the bootcamp supplied driver and installed direct from Nvidia the most current driver (July 2016). I forget the revision number off the top of my head and I'm in OS X at the moment so I can't check. I can tell you it was significantly newer than the bootcamp supplied driver though which is from last year and I had the latest version of bootcamp for this recent Windows 10 clean install.

So with that stuff out of the way, the short version is that running around on foot and on a mount in various areas outdoors (indoors is high FPS always and not worth comparing) including zoning, etc. I found that at exactly the same settings on this now aging system with a mobile GPU that I'd upgrade if I could, I was consistently averaging about 10 FPS better with the Mac Metal version of WoW.

In Windows 10 I was getting between 40 and 50 FPS overall and never dropped below 30 FPS. In OS X El Capitan I was getting 50 to 60 FPS and I don't recall going below 40 FPS.

Those numbers on this hardware in both cases actually are pretty decent all things considered but there's no question Metal brings some improvements to the table from what I saw here and again, I am not running the most recent iMac either. The majority of the eye candy settings now available were primarily set to high and SSAO was set to Ultra when the slider is at 7. The major thing not turned on but not of much consequence with WoW at 1440p was any form of AA. AF was set to 16x.

I'm sorry I was too lazy to bother testing how OpenGL performs but maybe somebody else will take that on and report back. Maybe I will myself at some point but I've had enough fooling around with this stuff and other stuff of late not related this such that I just want to actually play for a while now.

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
Different on AMD with what's in my signature. Mac side it can be iffy. Sometimes it reaches 80fps, others time it'll drop down to 18fps. Depends on the zone. Boot Camp side, with the stock driver WoW was actually worse. Much much worse as in omg stab my eyes out worse. Even after disabling those drivers and installing a workaround regular AMD driver, WoW is horrendous. Then again, AMD isn't all that great least the chip 2015 MBPs have. My 2012 iMac can run circles around my 2015 MBP and it's mostly because of the chip that's in them. Just better support with Nvidia overall.

OpenGL is ugly. It's choppy, and clumsy far as performance is vs. Metal but Metal isn't a huge savior. Metal performance may change in 10.12 though word has it currently the Beta of Sierra is seeing some regression with the current version but that's mainly intel which is a large portion of macs.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Blizz lost me at Mists of Pandaria - patronizing me like a child with battle pets and cute little kung fu pandas. I agree with another poster - they make it too easy with the hand holding and spoon-feeding ... boring... oversimplified. I'm playing on a 3rd party Vanilla server (pre-expansions WoW) and am loving it (without the monthly subscription I might add).

Cheesy Chinese pop culture is slowly destroying American gaming.

Shemlock

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2016
Denmark
Sure I will play this expansion! Already started leveling my toon - will give it a shot - IF the gameplay is better than in WoD, then i'll stick with it. If it is the same or worse, then screw it..

buttongerald

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 29, 2016
St. John's, Newfoundland
Reading the feedback so far, it seems the launch was the best one they've ever had. Marks the first time now in YEARS I was not there for an expansion or patch launch.

After going through Draenor a few more times, I burned out hard.. and the garrisons certainly didn't help. Couple this with the fact that I was extremely wary of dropping $60+ on an expansion for a 13 year old game after all the troubles that came up from the launching of the last 2 expansions.

I might make a return come Christmas when the game goes on sale, just to see the new content.. but I am not 100% on that yet.

Reactions: kupkakez

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
Definitely better then WoD. I stopped playing about 2 weeks into WoD as I just didn't like it, the garrisons felt like a chore to do. Legion so far seems to be a lot of fun, I am enjoying the artifact weapons and finding artifact power to level it up.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
From a technical perspective it's the best launch I've seen. No login queues, no disconnections, and lag spikes in the tens, not thousands, of milliseconds.

I've been around for every launch since Cataclysm, and half-experienced the BC and Wrath launches (NZ got those a day after the US).

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Been back into playing since just before the launch to get my character to 100, great fun so far, bye bye boring garrison, oh I dislike that idea so much.

Demon Hunter is fun to play :)

PS: I am playing on my mac Pro below under El Capitan

Last edited:

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
There's something odd going on with its engine, for sure. Sometimes, the locked and steady 60fps on an nvidia GTX 980 sinks to 25 fps without any obvious reason. But, overall, it performs really nice while the graphics are obviously better in the new areas.

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
If you're talking about drop in fps in older zones, most like they haven't been updated to the new way the game draws the world.

Teon

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2016
sad to admit, but the game has become obsolete. Good times were.

ErikGrim

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Do they ever do trials for the expansions? I downloaded it again, but you can only play vanilla for free (up to lv20)? Nothing about repeating that experience sucked me back in or enticed me to pony up for a subscription.

JacksonWrath

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Do they ever do trials for the expansions? I downloaded it again, but you can only play vanilla for free (up to lv20)? Nothing about repeating that experience sucked me back in or enticed me to pony up for a subscription.

Typically they'll start handing out 1-week trials for the new expansion to expired subs after some time into the expansion cycle. I dunno how long, but it's a least several months.

ErikGrim

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Typically they'll start handing out 1-week trials for the new expansion to expired subs after some time into the expansion cycle. I dunno how long, but it's a least several months.
Well my subscription wasn't so much expired as stolen and unrecoverable because I had used an alias e-mail account :/

SeanG1027

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2016
Detroit
Anyone else notice a drop in performance and FPS with the new 7.2 patch? I am running latest version of Sierra on new MBP 15 2.7 Radeon pro 460. Ever since the patch came out I am getting poor performance.

Reactions: Jovian9

WarDialer

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2015
San Jose, CA
Anyone else notice a drop in performance and FPS with the new 7.2 patch? I am running latest version of Sierra on new MBP 15 2.7 Radeon pro 460. Ever since the patch came out I am getting poor performance.

I hadn't noticed anything and my rMBP is older than yours. Is it laggy on Broken Shore, in a Dungeon/Raid setting or during an invasion in a zone? Did you try adjusting the graphics settings at all to see if it got worse or better with some specific change?

PC gaming is notoriously fiddly so its not unheard of to have to change settings after a major patch.

SeanG1027

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2016
Detroit
I hadn't noticed anything and my rMBP is older than yours. Is it laggy on Broken Shore, in a Dungeon/Raid setting or during an invasion in a zone? Did you try adjusting the graphics settings at all to see if it got worse or better with some specific change?

PC gaming is notoriously fiddly so its not unheard of to have to change settings after a major patch.
It's mainly bad in all of Broken Isles (idk how much that helps lol) but its horrible at my Order Hall. Demon Hunter here. I had to lower my graphics a lot for it to be decent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.