Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Probably not my best, but one that I was quite proud of as it was used in a promotional brochure for the cathedral it was taken in.

23857805354_e6ca3c1b3c_h.jpg

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Yeah you have.... get it up here... :) just kidding...
[doublepost=1482140651][/doublepost]OK, so, back story for the emotional bit.

I have always been utterly enthralled looking at images of slot canyons, I find them an amazing example of the power of nature.

So, two and a bit years ago, I attended an exhibit opening of a friend of mine's work and fell in love with an image of the slot canyons in Page Arizona. He had been there on a shooting trip for Anthropology. I was going to buy it and another friend attending with me stopped me and said "you have the capability to take that image yourself. Why pay for it when you can spend the money actually going there, experience it for yourself and take as many pictures as you want."

This year our sales kickoff conference was in Vegas. I was being dropped within 4 hours drive of my personal nirvana. So I rented a car and enlisted some of the sales guys to do a hiking trip. Staying in a cowboy ranch house and what was an EPIC adventure in some of the most amazing landscapes I have had the pleasure to witness. I spent three days with my jaw hanging slack in wonder.

As an output, I got lots of lovely images, lots of them sit with me in my memories but this one I think is MY image...

Regardless if you think it is my best or not, this one Just makes me proud and it is my most personal of 2016.

Hope you guys like it.

DSC07306.jpg
by Ken OHagan, on Flickr

Excellent! Just excellent!

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
I'm still pondering this one.

I have to say it's great to read that people are picking their shot not just from the technical perspective that we seem to get so caught up in at times but are considering the emotional investment that doesn't always translate to the viewer.

Sometimes it's more about the backstory than the shot itself.

~ Peter

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'm still pondering this one.

I have to say it's great to read that people are picking their shot not just from the technical perspective that we seem to get so caught up in at times but are considering the emotional investment that doesn't always translate to the viewer.

Sometimes it's more about the backstory than the shot itself.

~ Peter
Hard isn't it choosing your best photo. Must be double tough with all those nice shots you've posted lately.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
D5X_1418-XL.jpg

There was something absolutely incredible about being on the ground (not in a safari vehicle) with creatures as magnificent as the Coastal Brown Bears of Alaska for a bucket-list adventure.

This shot was taken with my back to the ocean, it was raining, I was down on my knees for a low level perspective, the tide was rushing in and I was completely oblivious to the fact that my thigh waders had filled with cold water.

I had done my research before going and hoped to see and capture some good stuff but I was not at all prepared for just how amazing it was to see these bears up close in their environment.

It was right after this shot was taken that the bears headed for high ground and the trees. I clearly remember, soaking wet and cold, I just stood there trying to take-in and absorb the moment as a part of me couldn't believe I was actually there to see and experience it.

~ Peter

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
My favourite from 2016 happened on a whale watching trip. We were off Brier Island in Nova Scotia when I managed to snap this shot of 3 whales using their pectoral fins to change direction.

Managed to frame a gull in there too with some water flying off the fins.

I ended up having a canvas print done and in my wife's office.

No whale breaches that day, but a great experience.

PP done in MacPhun's Intensify Pro.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Whale Fins 2.jpg
    Whale Fins 2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 254

jaduff46

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2010
Second star on the right....
At the end of running my Saturday morning 'Dad' errands I dropped off the car for some work at a local tire shop. While walking back to the house wondering how much it was going to cost me I looked up and felt I was in a sea of red leaves. I only had my iPhone but I had to capture the scene. Sometimes a picture finds you.

View attachment 678851
Love it! By the time I got organized after our daughter's wedding in September the bright colors were mostly gone.

Reactions: inkmich

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
This is my favourite for this year. I've been trying to get a portrait of 'Lucy' for years and always missed the mark, she has a short attention span after all.

_MG_2311-X2.jpg
Nailed it.
[doublepost=1482257386][/doublepost]
D5X_1418-XL.jpg

There was something absolutely incredible about being on the ground (not in a safari vehicle) with creatures as magnificent as the Coastal Brown Bears of Alaska for a bucket-list adventure.

This shot was taken with my back to the ocean, it was raining, I was down on my knees for a low level perspective, the tide was rushing in and I was completely oblivious to the fact that my thigh waders had filled with cold water.

I had done my research before going and hoped to see and capture some good stuff but I was not at all prepared for just how amazing it was to see these bears up close in their environment.

It was right after this shot was taken that the bears headed for high ground and the trees. I clearly remember, soaking wet and cold, I just stood there trying to take-in and absorb the moment as a part of me couldn't believe I was actually there to see and experience it.

~ Peter
That's commitment for you! It certainly paid off. Another bucket list location.
[doublepost=1482257426][/doublepost]
My favourite from 2016 happened on a whale watching trip. We were off Brier Island in Nova Scotia when I managed to snap this shot of 3 whales using their pectoral fins to change direction.

Managed to frame a gull in there too with some water flying off the fins.

I ended up having a canvas print done and in my wife's office.

No whale breaches that day, but a great experience.

PP done in MacPhun's Intensify Pro.

Enjoy!
Superbly done.
[doublepost=1482257499][/doublepost]
What a fantastic idea for a thread, well done @Apple fanboy.

Some great shots, and terrific backstories.
Thank you kindly. Having only taken 24 shots in 2016, your job of choosing will be easier than most ;)

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Yeah you have.... get it up here... :) just kidding...
[doublepost=1482140651][/doublepost]OK, so, back story for the emotional bit.

I have always been utterly enthralled looking at images of slot canyons, I find them an amazing example of the power of nature.

So, two and a bit years ago, I attended an exhibit opening of a friend of mine's work and fell in love with an image of the slot canyons in Page Arizona. He had been there on a shooting trip for Anthropology. I was going to buy it and another friend attending with me stopped me and said "you have the capability to take that image yourself. Why pay for it when you can spend the money actually going there, experience it for yourself and take as many pictures as you want."

This year our sales kickoff conference was in Vegas. I was being dropped within 4 hours drive of my personal nirvana. So I rented a car and enlisted some of the sales guys to do a hiking trip. Staying in a cowboy ranch house and what was an EPIC adventure in some of the most amazing landscapes I have had the pleasure to witness. I spent three days with my jaw hanging slack in wonder.

As an output, I got lots of lovely images, lots of them sit with me in my memories but this one I think is MY image...

Regardless if you think it is my best or not, this one Just makes me proud and it is my most personal of 2016.

Hope you guys like it.

DSC07306.jpg
by Ken OHagan, on Flickr

About time you posted your Antelope pix !!! Now you've gotta go back in the summer when the light shafts are working . It's really an amazing place , when I was there a few year's back , I took around 600 pix between upper and lower Antelope and Horseshoe Bend .

Reactions: kenoh

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It is a good idea, but it has been done at least once before. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/your-best-photo-from-2013.1692375/

Thanks for reminding me! I even posted in that thread and forgot.
I got the idea from a Flickr group I joined.

I was abroad for almost all of 2013, and an infrequent visitor to the site as a whole, and thus, never even saw it, or knew about it.

Nevertheless, a good idea ever goes out of date and remains relevant even if resurrected a few years later.

Last edited:

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
I have several shots that are special to me: backpacking with our childeren in Norway, two tiny figures carrying large backpacks in a large desolate landscape, concerts and sportevents where you can feel their smile.

But I ended up with this one. We were in Palermo and I had 2 days to wander around. Do what I wanted to do, see what I wanted to see. It was great. And I finally got to enjoy my new camera, the old one died in Norway after 1 too many fall. This is a panorama stitch of 4 wide angle shots using Affinity Photo. This photo has been posted in the Potd December as well.

f28775b22064715b8f0b799a0ae39fa0.jpg

Last edited:

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
Well, this past year I think I've probably spent more time photographing Jeeps and the things we do in the Jeep community - rides, events, and such. It's definitely been an expansion of my horizons as far as photography.
I think this is probably one of the top three for the year.

DSC03519-XL.jpg

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well, this past year I think I've probably spent more time photographing Jeeps and the things we do in the Jeep community - rides, events, and such. It's definitely been an expansion of my horizons as far as photography.
I think this is probably one of the top three for the year.

DSC03519-XL.jpg
Boys and their toys!
Nicely done.
[doublepost=1482427508][/doublepost]
The best I could muster from 2016. I climbed down the side of the Grand Canyon to get this shot. Well worth the physical effort as far as I'm concerned.

Grand Canyon - South Rim by Charles Griggs, on Flickr
Another bucket list destination. Lucky to get some clouds. Mostly I see clear blue sky shots with little interest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.