Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnthonySager

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Originally ordered the 10.5" Smart Keyboard as I had it on my 9.7" combined with a silicone back but after placing my order I saw the Logitech Combo this AM and decided to cancel and switch to that case. Detachable keyboard, shortcut keys, backlight, and multiple tilt angles. Seems like a no brainer. What are your thoughts on the first 2 keyboards out the gate?

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...lio-shell&fh=4583%2B463f%2B470f%2B4604%2B48d0

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...10_5-ipadpro_9_7&fh=4583%2B470f%2B4604%2B48d0

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
I agree. Although it does look like it makes the unit quite thick -- according to Logitech's website, it's 1.06" thick with the keyboard attached. However, the weight isn't so bad and the built in stand is really nice -- kind of like a surface pro.

FuzzMunky

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
The adjustable tilt angle of the stand only adds steps lower than the normal typing position. In my experience the issue with the pitch of these iPad Pro keyboard covers is they don't have a more vertical (not portrait) setting for facetime. The camera is always pointing at the top of your head unless you sit right up close. End up having to shove a sock in between the support and the iPad, typical Jony Ive design.

vespagirl

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Connecticut
Is there going to be an Apple silicone case for the 10.5 to pair with the Smart Keyboard?
I ordered the Logitech Slim Combo because it covers the back as well. A silicone case option for the back and I'd likely go back to the Smart Keyboard. I use both currently on my 9.7.

mmcxiiad

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
I wonder if a Smart Cover can be used with this when the keyboard is removed.Typically, I would assuming it could but wished they would have mentioned that on their site. Because they don't mention it at all, is why I am 50-50 on this.

Foss

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2008
My fear is the added bulk. I have the 9.7 Pro currently with the Apple Smart Keyboard and Silicone case. The combo was nice albeit a bit expensive. My major complaint was the limited standing options. If the Logitech version doesn't add too much more bulk, the added stand options and the backlit keyboard will be worth it. I ordered mine with my new 10.5 Pro yesterday, and the Logitech was just shipped and coming in tomorrow. I'll try to reply to this thread with my findings (although without the actual device obviously) tomorrow with some pictures of just the Logitech case vs the 9.7 with the Apple keyboard and case.

AnthonySager

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
I agree. Although it does look like it makes the unit quite thick -- according to Logitech's website, it's 1.06" thick with the keyboard attached. However, the weight isn't so bad and the built in stand is really nice -- kind of like a surface pro.
That's gonna be at the thickest point of the keyboard plus the apex of the back cover (it looks a little rounded). My hope is the overall feel isn't bulky, especially for the protection.

More to come. I have both coming this week and will post some photos.

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
That's gonna be at the thickest point of the keyboard plus the apex of the back cover (it looks a little rounded). My hope is the overall feel isn't bulky, especially for the protection.

More to come. I have both coming this week and will post some photos.

Thanks. I look forward to your review.

Foss

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2008
Mine just came in. Photo comparison to my current 9.7 with Apple silicone case and Smart Keyboard below.

IMG_5167.jpg

vgtek

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2011
The Logitech doesn't feel too heavy by itself however the kick stand has a cheap feel to it, hard to describe but almost like it's going to come out of place everytime you close it.

It feels durable but the overall case also has a cheap plastic feel to it as, was hoping for something like the Belkin QODE Ultimate that I had for my Air 2.

I'm going to give both a spin for a week once the iPad comes in on Tues. and see which one I like. The protection is nice but not sure if I like the bulk - it looks like an ultrabook.

Rugbydman

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2009
Staffordshire, UK
The Logitech doesn't feel too heavy by itself however the kick stand has a cheap feel to it, hard to describe but almost like it's going to come out of place everytime you close it.

It feels durable but the overall case also has a cheap plastic feel to it as, was hoping for something like the Belkin QODE Ultimate that I had for my Air 2.

I'm going to give both a spin for a week once the iPad comes in on Tues. and see which one I like. The protection is nice but not sure if I like the bulk - it looks like an ultrabook.

How much does it weigh

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

Yes, its made of plastic, which makes it feel heavier than it should be. It feels very much like one of those ClamCase keyboard shells. But the Apple version lacks a backlight and that's a critical commission IMO.

va1984

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
In my opinion the Logitech Create keyboards for the last generation of iPad Pro were ridiculously bulky and ultimately a bit misconceived. This new "slim" guy doesn't seem that much better to me. As far as I am concerned, the point of the iPad is that it's thin and light. I always use mine completely naked or at most with a Smart Cover or Smart Keyboard. I actually think it's nicer to carry a 12.9" with a Smart Cover alone and throw a magic keyboard with a studio neat canopy in the bag for when the need to type lots or stuff arises.

Reactions: gorkt

ctnguye3

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
Yes, its made of plastic, which makes it feel heavier than it should be. It feels very much like one of those ClamCase keyboard shells. But the Apple version lacks a backlight and that's a critical commission IMO.

Is the plastic soft touch or is hard plastic? Thanks

AC Rempt

Contributor
Feb 24, 2008
I bought this for my 12.9 iPad Pro, and I really like it. It does add bulk, but you can remove the keyboard section easily and use Apple's SmartCover when you don't plan on using the keyboard, which helps. The keyboard feels nice, and my typing is much faster and more accurate than on the Apple SmartKeyboard. I never really liked the way typing felt on the ASK, and Logitech adds backlighting, something the ASK sorely lacks.

I haven't used the hinge that much yet, but while it certainly isn't in the class of some something like a SurfacePro, it's fully adjustable.

ramit

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2015
Had a playaround with both at apple shop in uk today. Initially I bought the smart keyboard, but ended up returning it and getting the logitech. Took me a good 15min to decide though.

The keyboard that comes with the logitech is sooo. much better than the 10.5 smart keyboard. I tried typing on both and the accuracy and speed was much higher on the logitech, and the backlit, extra commands and feel of the keyboard was much better

Yes - it is bigger and bulkier - no doubt about that.

But the way I looked at it was the following:
- I would want the back of ipad covered. So with smart keyboard, I would need to get a separate cover anyway - This would add on bulk. Particularly if I wanted anything remotely sturdy (and the logitech is very sturdy and well made)
- Then comes the pencil....I'd definitely want some way of attaching the pen. The logitech has a holder. The smart keyboard doesn't. Likely scenario is that that I'd also then want to buy a sleeve on top of a backcover! Both add on weight, as well as cost, and would make the whole package bigger and bulkier anyway!

With the logitech - I'm ready to go - and its £50 cheaper at apple store than smart keyboard.

Thoughts?

AnthonySager

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
*UPDATE & REVIEW*

Ok so its been a few days and I finally had time to sit with both the 10.5" SMK & Logitech Slim Combo. I had the 9.7" SMK for the last year+ and thought it was just "ok". Definitely thin and minimal but thats it. Stuck in one position and when you remove it you lose the stand for your iPad.

This year's iPad update brought 2 offerings I wanted to buy both and return one. I knew what I was getting with the smart keyboard but wanted to see the Logitech.

A few things everyone has said and they're right...its a little bulky but to each its own. Get over the bulk, this thing actually has features worth the price of admission as opposed to the SMK.

1-Backlight!!! This is a big deal. Ever used the smart keyboard in darkness? Its smaller than a typical keyboard which makes it difficult the identify the right key in some cases
2-very very solid protection all around
3-adjustability!! change the angle to almost anything in a way like the Surface tablets. Very convenient for planes and the like.
4-remove it and you still have back protection, a stand, & pencil holder. If you are concerned with the bulk, leave it your bag and just have a standard sized iPad shell.
5-shortcut keys...nuff said

I am business traveler and need something I can quickly and easily pull out on a plane and work (besides my MacBook Air) then be able to sit back and consume media, games, etc...this so far is the best option IMHO.

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Is Apple selling Logitech Slim Combi in UK stores? It is not on the Website store but it appears from the forum people are having luck getting one at the shop or seeing them on display.

ramit

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2015
Is Apple selling Logitech Slim Combi in UK stores? It is not on the Website store but it appears from the forum people are having luck getting one at the shop or seeing them on display.
Yup - picked one up from Apple Store in Brighton today - they had lots in stock
[doublepost=1497381134][/doublepost]
Had a playaround with both at apple shop in uk today. Initially I bought the smart keyboard, but ended up returning it and getting the logitech. Took me a good 15min to decide though.

The keyboard that comes with the logitech is sooo. much better than the 10.5 smart keyboard. I tried typing on both and the accuracy and speed was much higher on the logitech, and the backlit, extra commands and feel of the keyboard was much better

Yes - it is bigger and bulkier - no doubt about that.

But the way I looked at it was the following:
- I would want the back of ipad covered. So with smart keyboard, I would need to get a separate cover anyway - This would add on bulk. Particularly if I wanted anything remotely sturdy (and the logitech is very sturdy and well made)
- Then comes the pencil....I'd definitely want some way of attaching the pen. The logitech has a holder. The smart keyboard doesn't. Likely scenario is that that I'd also then want to buy a sleeve on top of a backcover! Both add on weight, as well as cost, and would make the whole package bigger and bulkier anyway!

With the logitech - I'm ready to go - and its £50 cheaper at apple store than smart keyboard.

Thoughts?

So after an evening with the Logitech I've decided to return and swap with Smart Keyboard....

Key reasons are:
1) bulk - it is simply way too bulky... Even with the keyboard off it just feels too big and heavy to hold compared to the keyboard case.

2) Yes the keyboard is better - but because it's a separate keyboard rather than an all in one - in feels really flimsy and pulls off too easily. It's still too bulky without the keyboard - so wish they would have just kept it as an all in one rather than a two piece.

3) the stand is a little awkward and feels unsteady, compared to the Smart Keyboard

Hope this helps someone make a decision

AC Rempt

Contributor
Feb 24, 2008
I get the issue with bulk because it is definitely that, but I found it easy to adapt the Slim to fit my needs. If I'm working at home, I remove the back and use the keyboard, for example. I've also used it without the keyboard, leaning the iPad pretty far back on the kickstand to do some drawing, and so far, the kickstand has done a solid job.

So yeah, ironically bulky, but the modularity, the quality of the keyboard, and other factors make it worth it for me.

YMMV

pruppert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Anyone willing to post a video review of it? I'm curious to see how bulky and how wobbly it is, especially for laptop use.

ME Nick

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Colorado
I bought this for my 12.9 iPad Pro, and I really like it. It does add bulk, but you can remove the keyboard section easily and use Apple's SmartCover when you don't plan on using the keyboard, which helps. The keyboard feels nice, and my typing is much faster and more accurate than on the Apple SmartKeyboard. I never really liked the way typing felt on the ASK, and Logitech adds backlighting, something the ASK sorely lacks.

I haven't used the hinge that much yet, but while it certainly isn't in the class of some something like a SurfacePro, it's fully adjustable.

Just to confirm, you can remove the logi keyboard and use a apple Smart Cover for the front protection?

Reactions: tazinlwfl
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.