Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmeulen

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2013
The Netherlands
Received my Logitech slim combo 10.5 this afternoon. Indeed bulky but in my case, putting the iPad on a sailing ship regularly the more bulky, the better protected it is when it flies around th cabin:D. So far keyboard is doing good, pencil is holding well. Would have loved to see something more ‘slim’ but it’s ok. The plastic makes the whole solution look cheap which might help at some point when traveling. All in all, let’s see how it sustains the coming days. Smart connection with the keyboard looks most likely to be the breaking part.

Reactions: MachCrit

dancefreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Hermosa Beach, CA
That Belkin keyboard case for the Air 2 was great. Even when they do release one for the 10.5" Pro though, I'll be hard-pressed to go back to Bluetooth. If it's Smart Connector-compatible, I will have to seriously look at it.

Agreed. Sadly I don't think Belkin currently makes any smart connector cases at all. Guessing they just don't want to pay whatever apple charges. Lame.

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
I haven't purchased either but I found a slim combo at the Apple Store. The boxes from Logitech are designed to be opened in the store. Didn't mate it to an iPad but my impression was that it was way too bulky. I greatly preferred the smart keyboard. I think I'd rather just have a MacBook then an iPad in the Logitech Slim Combo, pretty equivalent in size and weight.

thomasfxlt58

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
I've discovered a deal-breaking flaw in the slim case for th iPad Pro 12.9. Perhaps someone has a fix for this but I can't find a solution. Even with the lock screen enabled and control center off, the music control buttons on the keyboard remain active with the cover open or closed. If you grab the cover and grip it at all, the play key can get depressed and the iPad will start to play music. I like this keyboard a lot but this is a big issue as it's happened a few times now in situations where it's not trivial. Anyone have a solution?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm looking at these two keyboards and all I can say is that the logitech case is bulky. I really do enjoy the thinness of the iPad and I don't want that undone with the keyboard :( Too bad, because I do like what it provides, I do think it appears to be a better keyboard.

MachCrit

Suspended
Jun 5, 2017
Lurking About the Planet
I'm looking at these two keyboards and all I can say is that the logitech case is bulky. I really do enjoy the thinness of the iPad and I don't want that undone with the keyboard :( Too bad, because I do like what it provides, I do think it appears to be a better keyboard.

Bulky with a far better keyboard and much better impact protection. Always a trade-off.

I'm using the back of the Logitech with an Apple smart cover, and switching to the keyboard when I need it for extended typing or when traveling. The latter config means TSA treats it like a laptop.

Reactions: AC Rempt

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Bulky with a far better keyboard and much better impact protection. Always a trade-off.
Yes, that is the conundrum to be sure.
Perhaps its unfair, but back when my wife and I owned first generation iPads, I opted for a very thin case (I think from apple), she had a bulky case that offered superior protection. Yet we both found it to be a chore to use her iPad for extended periods.

Granted, that may be an unfair comparison, because the first gen iPad is a lot heavier then what we now have, but it is in my brain and since then I always gravitated to a thin form factor

k20dub

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
I've discovered a deal-breaking flaw in the slim case for th iPad Pro 12.9. Perhaps someone has a fix for this but I can't find a solution. Even with the lock screen enabled and control center off, the music control buttons on the keyboard remain active with the cover open or closed. If you grab the cover and grip it at all, the play key can get depressed and the iPad will start to play music. I like this keyboard a lot but this is a big issue as it's happened a few times now in situations where it's not trivial. Anyone have a solution?

I've had this same thing happen a couple of times. Only way I think to fix it is by holding it by the half of the case without the keyboard.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Indeed, thin is nice, until you drop that puppy from table height in a coffee shop.

All of a sudden, bulky ain't so bad.
You can make that case (pun intended ;) ) for any apple product. While not wanting to jinx myself, I've been case free for my MBP, no drops. The original iPad never been dropped and my iPad minis have faired well. I totally understand where you're coming from and its one of those issues where there is no right answer but rather find what works best for you

MachCrit

Suspended
Jun 5, 2017
Lurking About the Planet
I've had this same thing happen a couple of times. Only way I think to fix it is by holding it by the half of the case without the keyboard.

Can you quit the music app before closing the case? I don't use Apple Music, so I may be missing something.
[doublepost=1498226857][/doublepost]
You can make that case (pun intended ;) ) for any apple product. While not wanting to jinx myself, I've been case free for my MBP, no drops. The original iPad never been dropped and my iPad minis have faired well. I totally understand where you're coming from and its one of those issues where there is no right answer but rather find what works best for you

The real solution would to make the on screen keyboard easier to type on, thereby negating the need for an external, bulky keyboard!

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Question:

I have the 12.9" IPP and the new Logitech Slim case. It works well but as others have said it's bulky.

My question is that I sometimes do emails while riding (not driving) in the car and the Logitech case is not ideal for typing in my lap. I have to keep my legs squeezed together and the keyboard flops around. Does the ASK keep it up right? Does it work well typing in your lap?

You could try the Logitech Create. It was designed for the first gen 12.9, but fits the new 12.9 just fine and is much better suited for typing in a lap. The microphone holes of the new 12.9 are covered by the case, though, but for my usage this doesn't matter at all.

k20dub

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
You could try the Logitech Create. It was designed for the first gen 12.9, but fits the new 12.9 just fine and is much better suited for typing in a lap. The microphone holes of the new 12.9 are covered by the case, though, but for my usage this doesn't matter at all.

Will check that out, thanks!

markusbeutel

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
This made me laugh from the inside, out, “threw on...and promptly took it off”. Basically that case stood no chance with you lol Personally, the case looks unattractive and in need of some cardio. Did anyone purchase it and fully intend to keep it? If so, why over the ASK? I absolutely wish the ASK had a backlit board, but other than that I think it’s hard to beat its size and ease of use.

Sold my ASK and silicone case combo for the Logi slim combo for a couple of reasons:

1) Typing experience is faaaaaarrrrr superior.
2) Excellent backlighting.
3) Holder for the pencil.
4) While it's not exactly slim... it's nice how with the 12.9 version you can fold the keyboard in half which does save quite a bit of space and provides a nice elevated typing experience.
5) Keyboard shortcuts.
6) Superior protection.
7) Adjustible angles.

I just wish the quality of the case was higher - at the very least soft-touch plastic would have been nice. It feels pretty cheap - like Logitech cut a lot of corners to get the price point/margins as high as possible.

markusbeutel

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014

Sadly my solution is so far to make sure my iPad is always muted before taking it out. Could still turn on, but it's one more button press that needs to trigger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.