Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ME Nick

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Colorado
Well here is a positive review.
I didn't buy it because it had "slim" in the name, and I wasn't needing it to be the slimmest option.
What drew me to it was the front and back protection when folding up, The backlit keyboard, the function keys and the pencil holder.
Oh and the blue looks amazing with a Space Gray iPad.
It fits the bill perfectly.
Snapped together great, and provides great protection during travel while having a place for the Apple Pencil.
I'm pleased so far.

darkinners

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2013
I was going to buy it this one
Just the bottom cover has stand, keyboard has function keys, and the keys does look more comfy to type than ASK
But after I read this thread, I decided I should go for ASK.

Logitech Slim Combo just makes iPad Pro feel even bigger than my 15" MBP TB....

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
I'm very impressed with the apple Smart Keyboard and didn't expect to be. It's very responsive. A bit noisy I guess with keystrokes but still very comfortable to type on and doesn't seem to miss a step.

I used to use a keyboard with an iPad Air a few years ago but didn't stick with it that much as it was Bluetooth and the keys weren't so nice to use. Yet I struggled when not using a physical keyboard as sometimes safari tends to screw with you and push the screen out of view or something. A physical keyboard makes a big difference. And considering there isn't much in the different in weight or size than the Smart Cover, this is a good solution. Typing on it now is far more reassuring than typing on the screen.

I considered the Logitech for about 5 seconds. Turned away from it as it turns an iPad into a cheap looking chrome book. The keyboard might be nicer too use but its less likely to leave your house/desk

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
For anyone looking for a review, they did talk about the Logitech on the latest episode of the Connected podcast (episode 146). They pretty much ripped it to shreds.

Reactions: MacGurl111

pruppert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
For anyone looking for a review, they did talk about the Logitech on the latest episode of the Connected podcast (episode 146). They pretty much ripped it to shreds.

Thanks for sharing. I'll check that out.

Serenity Caldwell at iMore also reviewed it and does not like it.
https://www.imore.com/logitechs-slim-combo-ipad-pro-tries-do-too-much

Some guy on youtube also made a video that shows it.
Logitech iPad Pro Slim Combo Keyboard and Case Unboxing

Sounds like it is a bad product. Hopefully, Logitech scraps it and comes out with something better, or at least releases the Create for 10.5. Wish there were more smart connector keyboards to choose from.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
It's absolutely terrible.. ugh - looked at it at the Apple store.

A total monstrosity

I had it and swapped it for the ASK. Too thick and too plastic-ky. If they made it slightly thinner and out of something like a hard rubber, they might have had a winner. But the back cover alone felt as heavy as the iPad itself.

Reactions: sracer

AnthonySager

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Well after 3 days of use, mine went back to apple. No Logi or ASK for now. Waiting on a better everyday solution. Instead picked up an ESR case of Amazon to tide over. I wish that Apple would let the cat out with more suppliers so we can have great solutions day 1 and not a year later when a refresh is imminent.

tazinlwfl

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Florida
Just to be clear - the 10.5" model looks significantly different from the 12.9" model. Most noticeably the keyboard palm rest(?) can fold on the 12.9' model, and looks thinner because of it. Most of this thread seems to be using a 10.5" model (which looks bulkier than the CREATE). Anyone confirm their experience with the 12.9" Slim Combo?

AC Rempt

Contributor
Feb 24, 2008
Interesting, can you elaborate? How do you keep the iPad upright and connected to the keyboard without the back of the Logitech case?

I lean the iPad against my crossed leg. Works a treat.
[doublepost=1497567414][/doublepost]
Just to confirm, you can remove the logi keyboard and use a apple Smart Cover for the front protection?

Yup, at least with the 12.9 inch version.

Reactions: the future

jschu22

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
I saw the Logitech (not so) Slim today, wasn't expecting to because online showed out of stock, but it's not that bad. I still prefer the Create to it but it's definitely a better typing experience to me than the Smart Keyboard.

I bought the Smart Keyboard anyway.

markusbeutel

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
Prefer the Brydge keyboard - doesn’t have that cheap plastic feel that all Logitech keyboards have. Logitech’s keys also recess in the middle - not a fan of that for overall typing experience.

UntitledImage

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
I almost bought this today and decided to stick with the Apple keyboard in the end. The turn off for me was that the magnet wasn't strong enough, so you can't flip the keyboard backward when you aren't using it. It's either in typing position or you have to take it off. But then you don't have the keyboard at the ready like you do with the Smart Keyboard. Now you have two things, so if you're carrying it around from room to room and intermittently stopping to type, you have to set everything up and find all the pieces. With the Smart Keyboard you can set it up and pick it up and move it and it all stays in position. That was the big selling point for me. The Logitech was just big, and floppy, and fiddly. Not very graceful. It did make me realize how well thought out the Apple Keyboard actually is. Why they don't have a back cover to go with it is an idiot move. I haven't even turned on my new iPad yet because I'm afraid of damaging it with no case.... incidentally, I might just return the whole outfit and wait. Being able to use this while I'm moving is the whole point, but won't work without a case.

Last edited:

ramit

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2015
I almost bought this today and decided to stick with the Apple keyboard in the end. The turn off for me was that the magnet wasn't strong enough, so you can't flip the keyboard backward when you aren't using it. It's either in typing position or you have to take it off. But then you don't have the keyboard at the ready like you do with the Smart Keyboard. Now you have two things, so if you're carrying it around from room to room and intermittently stopping to type, you have to set everything up and find all the pieces. With the Smart Keyboard you can set it up and pick it up and move it and it all stays in position. That was the big selling point for me. The Logitech was just big, and floppy, and fiddly. Not very graceful. It did make me realize how well thought out the Apple Keyboard actually is. Why they don't have a back cover to go with it is an idiot move. I haven't even turned on my new iPad yet because I'm afraid of damaging it with no case.... incidentally, I might just return the whole outfit and wait. Being able to use this while I'm moving is the whole point, but won't work without a case.

Having moved from the Logitech to a apple Smart Keyboard - I have to say I'm really impressed with the Smart Keyboard. After a couple of hours of adjustment, I can type as fast as any normal keyboard.

pruppert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Having moved from the Logitech to a apple Smart Keyboard - I have to say I'm really impressed with the Smart Keyboard. After a couple of hours of adjustment, I can type as fast as any normal keyboard.

Agreed. I know it looks like the new 10.5 smart keyboard barely got larger than the 9.7 one, but it is ways easier to type on than the 9.7 smart keyboard ever was for me. Much closer feeling to a full size keyboard.

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
I guess i'm the only one that almost fully enjoys the Slim Combo.. The only thing that irritates me is the weak magnet of the keyboard when it's covering the screen.. Otherwise, the keyboard is top notch and I really enjoy the shortcut keys for brightness/sound, playback, etc. Oh and the backlight. The rear case is thick yes but I truly think it would protect your ipad from a small fall better than the ASK + whatever rear shell you use.

Of course my ideal usage is as light and thin as possible but it seems even with a rear shell + ASK weight goes up a bit .. I don't know, I have 12 more days to decide.. Knowing me, I'd want a more polished setup but it's hard to swallow $250+ for the ASK + leather sleeve combo.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Why they don't have a back cover to go with it is an idiot move. I haven't even turned on my new iPad yet because I'm afraid of damaging it with no case.... incidentally, I might just return the whole outfit and wait. Being able to use this while I'm moving is the whole point, but won't work without a case.
There are lots of companies that make rear shells, you don't have to pay the extortion rate Apple was charging for theirs.

The rear case is thick yes but I truly think it would protect your ipad from a small fall better than the ASK + whatever rear shell you use.
You would be surprised how effective a simple plastic shell can be. I've had this case for my non-Retina Mini for years, which I think I paid $12 for at the time. I dropped my iPad with this on it a couple of times onto tile floors and the iPad didn't have a single scratch. The shell absorbed all of the energy, and as a result has some small cracks, but it's still just as effective as it ever was. My iPad looks as good as the day I bought it back in 2012.

UntitledImage

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
There are lots of companies that make rear shells, you don't have to pay the extortion rate Apple was charging for theirs.

You would be surprised how effective a simple plastic shell can be. I've had this case for my non-Retina Mini for years, which I think I paid $12 for at the time. I dropped my iPad with this on it a couple of times onto tile floors and the iPad didn't have a single scratch. The shell absorbed all of the energy, and as a result has some small cracks, but it's still just as effective as it ever was. My iPad looks as good as the day I bought it back in 2012.

Not actually! There's none on Amazon, none at any other other usual like Best Buy. The couple that are out there don't have space for the keyboard and everything else seemes to have gotten recalled because none of them fit. And the only ones that were in exsistence to begin with were the clear tpu. I bought one that's in the mail now to see if I can modify it and make it work. But I am also one of those people that prefer a nice clean presentation in my iPad case because I also hand it to clients as an on the fly portfolio. So not having an option that matches well actually matters.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Ive just discovered that the 10.5 smart keyboard works with the 12.9 ipad. Obviously doesn't work as front protection but as I have the original 12.9, this adds a keyboard to it.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
I returned the slim combo. Worked fine, good keyboard. But very bulky
I got the appple keyboard and will place a best skins ever skin on the back.

When traveling I will get a sfbags.com case

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
Anyone who bought the 10.5 Smart Keyboard having this issue? I’m thinking I got a defective keyboard, but I wanted to make sure before I returned it.

IMG_0108.JPG IMG_0110.JPG IMG_0109.JPG

ramit

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2015
Yes -
Anyone who bought the 10.5 Smart Keyboard having this issue? I’m thinking I got a defective keyboard, but I wanted to make sure before I returned it.

View attachment 704458 View attachment 704459 View attachment 704460
I had this when I bought it as well - but after using it on a flat surface like a table I found the keyboard went flat and is fine.

Next time I used it the gap was smaller and within a couple of min of use it was flat again.

I don't think it's defective - just need to wear it in a little.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.