Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
Anyone who bought the 10.5 Smart Keyboard having this issue? I’m thinking I got a defective keyboard, but I wanted to make sure before I returned it.

Mine has a slight high spot in the center front but it types just fine. Use it. If it types fine, it's not defective. You're talking about a somewhat flexible piece of kit, not a rigid piece of plastic or metal.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO

davidbf1

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2014
After using it for about 45 minutes, I hate the Logitech "Slim" combo. It's ridiculously bulky because there's at least 2mm of space between the iPad and the keyboard when closed. Personally I don't like the smart keyboard because it's not firm enough to use on a lap. I really loved my Belkin Qode Ultimate Pro keyboard case for the Air 2. I don't care if it doesn't use the smart connector if I could get that exact same case for the 10.5.

I'd be jumping onto the iPP 10.5 (moving up from iPP 9.7) in a flash if I could get Qode Ultimate Pro keyboard case for it.
I'm using the Air 2 version for my pro 9.7 (even though it's not optimised for camera [not an issue as i don't use camera on iPad] or the speakers. I think it's a fantastic keyboard, and love the fact it protects the front AND rear of my iPad, adding very little bulk.
Best features in my mind (beyond the fact that's it's a good keyboard and a good case) are the fact the keyboard is removed quickly & easily, and that it enables landscape AND portrait use.

I'm not holding out much hope Belkin will launch the Qode Ultimate Pro for the 10.5 - haven't for the 9.7.
I contact them via their "community" online, and they simply suggest keeping an eye on their website for "news" - given that their website is woefully lacking in this area, not a great response.

MachCrit

Suspended
Jun 5, 2017
Lurking About the Planet
I wonder if a Smart Cover can be used with this when the keyboard is removed.Typically, I would assuming it could but wished they would have mentioned that on their site. Because they don't mention it at all, is why I am 50-50 on this.

Yes, the Smart cover can be used with the back of the Logitech Combo Keyboard, however, you will need to do a little careful trimming with a Dremel and a round file. The magnetic mount on the Smart Cover can't be trimmed as it is essentially a full length magnet.

Took about about a half hour to relieve the offending plastic ears, and the Smart cover fits and functions perfectly within the Logitech back piece.
[doublepost=1497735376][/doublepost]
After using it for about 45 minutes, I hate the Logitech "Slim" combo. It's ridiculously bulky because there's at least 2mm of space between the iPad and the keyboard when closed. Personally I don't like the smart keyboard because it's not firm enough to use on a lap. I really loved my Belkin Qode Ultimate Pro keyboard case for the Air 2. I don't care if it doesn't use the smart connector if I could get that exact same case for the 10.5.

I want that space. The keys are hard plastic, feel much better than the Smart Keyboard, and the space prevents contact with the iPad Pro's screen. Just mod and use with the smart cover when you don't need the keyboard and desire less bulk.
[doublepost=1497735697][/doublepost]
Yep... mine is going back as well. I thought I would still use the back...
Unfortunately.... no. Not compatible with the Smart Cover.

It is with a half hour of deft work with a dremel. The Smart cover also fits below the edge of the Logitech back cover which recesses and protects the edges of the SC.

Attachments

• IMG_0178.JPG
    IMG_0178.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 269
Last edited:

dancefreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Hermosa Beach, CA
Yes, the Smart cover can be used with the back of the Logitech Combo Keyboard, however, you will need to do a little careful trimming with a Dremel and a round file. The magnetic mount on the Smart Cover can't be trimmed as it is essentially a full length magnet.

Took about about a half hour to relieve the offending plastic ears, and the Smart cover fits and functions perfectly within the Logitech back piece.
[doublepost=1497735376][/doublepost]

I want that space. The keys are hard plastic, feel much better than the Smart Keyboard, and the space prevents contact with the iPad Pro's screen. Just mod and use with the smart cover when you don't need the keyboard and desire less bulk.
[doublepost=1497735697][/doublepost]

It is with a half hour of deft work with a dremel. The Smart cover also fits below the edge of the Logitech back cover which recesses and protects the edges of the SC.

Modifying a $140 case to fit with a $160 keyboard isn't an acceptable option for me.

Reactions: LibbyLA

MachCrit

Suspended
Jun 5, 2017
Lurking About the Planet
Modifying a $140 case to fit with a $160 keyboard isn't an acceptable option for me.

Interesting. I modified a $280,000 airplane to fit a $35,000 avionics suite, a $38,000 racing sailboat to fit a $600 navigation/performance display (cheap), a $9800 watch to fit a $220 band, a $45,000 track car to fit a $1500 roll bar. You get the picture.

Anyway, not modding to use a Smart Keyboard, but rather a smart cover.

All depends upon one's attitude and abilities. A massive number of people of all ages can't use tools anymore, and demand that everything be handed to them on a platter.

Are you a millennial? ;)

Last edited:

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Why don't Logitech build a Smart Cover that uses their keys-to-go keyboard? That seems much lighter and slimmer, more like the apple Smart Keyboard or miscorosft surface keyboard.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Sorry if this has already been covered but are there measurements for the distance between e.g. A&L keys for the Different keyboards? I'd like to visualise how cramped they'd be vs a full sized desktop keyboard

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
The only downside I can see about the Smart Keyboard after a few hours of use is the lack of the traditional shortcut keys form the Mac. It's not a biggy, but I expect as I use the keyboard more it will annoy me even more!

Can't believe how comfortable it is to use on my lap. Has completely transformed my use of the iPad and the speed at which I can type on it. This is the use-case I was most worried about and it turns out I really shouldn't have been concerned.

Reactions: Statusnone88

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
Yes -

I had this when I bought it as well - but after using it on a flat surface like a table I found the keyboard went flat and is fine.

Next time I used it the gap was smaller and within a couple of min of use it was flat again.

I don't think it's defective - just need to wear it in a little.

Thanks for the input. After using it for a few days, it wouldn’t go down. Did more research and it looked like a few other people had some defective keyboards. Apple swapped it right out and the new one works perfect.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

thewinelake2

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2015
Well after 3 days of use, mine went back to apple. No Logi or ASK for now. Waiting on a better everyday solution. Instead picked up an ESR case of Amazon to tide over. I wish that Apple would let the cat out with more suppliers so we can have great solutions day 1 and not a year later when a refresh is imminent.
Exactly what I've done!

The lack of compatibility between ASC and LSC must be down to Apple not sharing dimensions of ASC with Logitech. That's a real bummer for Logitech.

MachCrit

Suspended
Jun 5, 2017
Lurking About the Planet
Returning mine today.. I just can't get over the bulk and weight at this point.. it weighs around 2.5 lbs total with the case on, pretty crazy.

Yeah, I'm using mine with the smart cover and only carrying the keyboard when I travel, which is often. I like the protection, and the salient aspect is that the keyboard itself is excellent.

Had a Sena Ventra on my 9.7 iPad Pro, and that sucker was heavy due to it's metal swivel mechanism. Seemed like it tripled the weight of the iPad.

Reactions: Diversion

jeme

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
LOL, there is absolutely nothing at all that is slim about this Logitech case. I absolutely cannot believe they tried to call this a slim case. The marketing people there should be fired!

Reactions: Diversion

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I don't know why case makers even bother with this bulky junk. I'm just irritated that Apple doesn't have a case option to go with the ASK because I like how slim it is. I really need to get something figured out because I'm taking it on vacation soon.

dancefreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Hermosa Beach, CA
Interesting. I modified a $280,000 airplane to fit a $35,000 avionics suite, a $38,000 racing sailboat to fit a $600 navigation/performance display (cheap), a $9800 watch to fit a $220 band, a $45,000 track car to fit a $1500 roll bar. You get the picture.

Anyway, not modding to use a Smart Keyboard, but rather a smart cover.

All depends upon one's attitude and abilities. A massive number of people of all ages can't use tools anymore, and demand that everything be handed to them on a platter.

Are you a millennial? ;)

Who said anything about not having the ability to use tools? What a strange reply.
That you've installed all sorts of various things to improve all sorts of expensive toys has nothing to do with this.

My only point is that for me to spend nearly $300 on a keyboard case for a $900 device it would have to be pretty darn perfect. And I especially don't want to do that using the piece of junk logitech case as the foundation. The back cover has a massive lip around the edge of the entire ipad. The kickstand is junky. It's horrible. No attitude or ability is going to improve on it. You improve the function on your expensive toys. I don't think there's any improving the function of the logitech slim combo keyboard with some tools and elbow grease.

LOL at being called a millennial though...thanks for that!

Reactions: CloudSpeaker

MachCrit

Suspended
Jun 5, 2017
Lurking About the Planet
Who said anything about not having the ability to use tools? What a strange reply.
That you've installed all sorts of various things to improve all sorts of expensive toys has nothing to do with this.

My only point is that for me to spend nearly $300 on a keyboard case for a $900 device it would have to be pretty darn perfect. And I especially don't want to do that using the piece of junk logitech case as the foundation...

Not about ability, it's about attitude. Very few people have the problem solver mindset with respect to hardware.

Still missing that it is modification to fit a Smart Cover, not a Smart Keyboard. The latter is an overpriced Apple joke.

roguefury

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2010
[REDACTED]
When I went back to the Apple Store to return the Logitech, the dude who took my returns said, "these are piling up in the back room."

Like the others, I probably should have opened the box at the store, thus preventing the pile up from happening. My guess is that there'll be a ton of these on eBay soon for 1/3rd the price

k20dub

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
Question:

I have the 12.9" IPP and the new Logitech Slim case. It works well but as others have said it's bulky.

My question is that I sometimes do emails while riding (not driving) in the car and the Logitech case is not ideal for typing in my lap. I have to keep my legs squeezed together and the keyboard flops around. Does the ASK keep it up right? Does it work well typing in your lap?

dancefreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Hermosa Beach, CA
Question:

I have the 12.9" IPP and the new Logitech Slim case. It works well but as others have said it's bulky.

My question is that I sometimes do emails while riding (not driving) in the car and the Logitech case is not ideal for typing in my lap. I have to keep my legs squeezed together and the keyboard flops around. Does the ASK keep it up right? Does it work well typing in your lap?

No the ASK is even worse in a lap as it's flexible.

CloudSpeaker

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2016
Not Quite Phoenix
Tried both... Twice. Logitech Slim Combo went back both times. Happy now with the Apple Smart Keyboard. My issues with the Logitech kit were as follows:

- Bulky AF
- Flimsy Smart Connector hinge
- Separate pieces design feels janky

The back protection was nice, but there'll be a ton of options on Amazon soon for ASK-compatible TPU cases.
[doublepost=1498148385][/doublepost]
I had a Belkin keyboard case for my Air2 that I loved....wish there was something remotely similar available for the 10.5.
That Belkin keyboard case for the Air 2 was great. Even when they do release one for the 10.5" Pro though, I'll be hard-pressed to go back to Bluetooth. If it's Smart Connector-compatible, I will have to seriously look at it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.