Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
Saw a couple threads that inquired about the NT color way, but the pictures were few.

I took a bunch of different angles and threw in a couple different material backgrounds and lights to show the varying shades of the phone.

Initial rumors said the phone was gray. I was excited, but all the Apple material made the phone look sandy/muted beige.

Because of that I opted for launch day black titanium. Saw the NT phone in store and it was pleasantly more gray than the printed materials.

After owning NT for a couple days, my conclusion is that the back is legitimately gray with the slightest shimmer of gold in the right light.

The bands however, are tinted just a bit more gold than the back itself, but it still has an overall gray profile.

I’ll be returning the NT and sticking with black. I like cool grey/wolf grey. If the back was the same with a cooler-toned silver on the bands and camera housing, I would’ve kept it. It’s just ever-so-slightly too warm for me.

IMG_0041.jpeg
IMG_0042.jpeg
IMG_0043.jpeg
IMG_0044.jpeg
IMG_0045.jpeg
IMG_0046.jpeg
IMG_0047.jpeg

IMG_0048.jpeg
IMG_0049.jpeg
IMG_0050.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0039.jpeg
    IMG_0039.jpeg
    264.6 KB · Views: 467
  • IMG_0038.jpeg
    IMG_0038.jpeg
    288.3 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_0040.jpeg
    IMG_0040.jpeg
    319.5 KB · Views: 425

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
OP in fairness you are only showing it in warm lighting. Looks completely different under white light or outdoors, especially the bands. But that's what I personally love about the color.
I’m definitely no light/photo pro, but the lights seem pretty white in my bathroom. I can shoot elsewhere or outside tomorrow as you mentioned.

My take is the phone can appear grayer or sandier depending on the factors, but I am not a fan of the warm tones for phones. I like blues, grays and blacks. The back is gray, but the bands definitely shimmer on the warmer side, to me.

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
Thanks, but no need to do that for me. I own the phone haha! Plus @adam1080 did a pretty good job of showing the difference. It really does match the Ultra quite well (and almost makes me want to get one).
How do you feel about the color profile of the phone? Do you think it leans cooler, warmer or just simply gray?

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
Maybe it’s the seat or the zoom, or my eyes are playing tricks, but the second picture looks warmer on the bands than the first. I feel that way in person as well. That’s my dislike. Looks nice paired with your Ultra though.
That's very much the reality of this color. In the same room even as you turn it around, the bands go from dark bronze to a light silver. The back is the same, dark gray to a dirty white. My only white phone was the 6 Plus as that was all that was available on launch. Didn't love it and got a black 6s Plus the next year. Had about 10 other iPhones, all black beside the 11 Pro Midnight Green(one of my favorite phones to hold and a great color) and then the Purple 14 Pro(which was a boring purple and a worse phone than my 13 Pro and was happy to get rid of it)

I knew I wanted the Ultra 2 as my S4 was way past the original planned retirement, so between not showing scratches as easily and matching the watch, Natural Titanium won out over Black.

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
That's very much the reality of this color. In the same room even as you turn it around, the bands go from dark bronze to a light silver. The back is the same, dark gray to a dirty white. My only white phone was the 6 Plus as that was all that was available on launch. Didn't love it and got a black 6s Plus the next year. Had about 10 other iPhones, all black beside the 11 Pro Midnight Green(one of my favorite phones to hold and a great color) and then the Purple 14 Pro(which was a boring purple and a worse phone than my 13 Pro and was happy to get rid of it)

I knew I wanted the Ultra 2 as my S4 was way past the original planned retirement, so between not showing scratches as easily and matching the watch, Natural Titanium won out over Black.
I’m with ya. Your titanium pairing looks great. Besides liking the look of a black phone, I used to buy the darkest iPhone for the black bezels.

I’ve dabbled with other colors over the years, but typically come back to black/space gray. I thought natural titanium might be the one, but I think black wins out again for me.

Reactions: Jutah and Jeweller

Jeweller

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
Denver
How do you feel about the color profile of the phone? Do you think it leans cooler, warmer or just simply gray?
It's all about ambient lighting. The rear glass can go from looking almost pale gray to a warm bronze. The bands can go from light silver to an even darker bronze. If you've ever seen a raw titanium framed bicycle this is exactly how they appear as well. I only own carbon fiber race bikes for weight and stiffness but have always loved the look of Ti bikes. The Natty TiPhone is as close as I can get to said bike 😃

Jeweller

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
Denver

I personally have never cared for plain titanium. I associate it with 90s watches. If I were buying this year it’d be blue or black for me.
I’ve personally owned blue or black iPhones for years now. I associate the new blue or black iPhones with all the other blue or black iPhones. I did buy this year and that’s also part of the reason I chose plain titanium 😜

Reactions: MisterMillz

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Thanks for the pics, I opted for the black but was bummed to see it’s not a true black like the base 15’s. I’m a little confused though, you bought 2 phones or you are returning the natural and buying a black one? I want to swap mine out for a natural but the local Apple Store said they do not do that, always thought we had 14 days??

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
I do agree, I'll be exchanging mine for blue. I like black but I had a black 14PM and feel that a change is good.

Also, unrelated, you should probably go see your doctor about your clubbing fingers - it can be a sign of lung issues.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
OP in fairness you are only showing it in warm lighting. Looks completely different under white light or outdoors, especially the bands. But that's what I personally love about the color.
I was at an AR yesterday, and they happily showed it to me indoors, and it was a yellowish grey to me. I prefer a cooler grey no matter what the lighting conditions are.

Ariel32

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
I personally have never cared for plain titanium. I associate it with 90s watches. If I were buying this year it’d be blue or black for me.
NatTi is a completely different colour. I own two titanium watches and they are a completely different shade from the frame of the phone.

Natural titanium iPhone has a very complex colour. I personally think it grows on you. Yesterday I had a chance to replace mine with White, and I decided against it. The replacement phone is also Natural Titanium. It changes colour depending on day, indoors/outdoors. It's quite pretty, actually.

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Saw a couple threads that inquired about the NT color way, but the pictures were few.

I took a bunch of different angles and threw in a couple different material backgrounds and lights to show the varying shades of the phone.

Initial rumors said the phone was gray. I was excited, but all the Apple material made the phone look sandy/muted beige.

Because of that I opted for launch day black titanium. Saw the NT phone in store and it was pleasantly more gray than the printed materials.

After owning NT for a couple days, my conclusion is that the back is legitimately gray with the slightest shimmer of gold in the right light.

The bands however, are tinted just a bit more gold than the back itself, but it still has an overall gray profile.

I’ll be returning the NT and sticking with black. I like cool grey/wolf grey. If the back was the same with a cooler-toned silver on the bands and camera housing, I would’ve kept it. It’s just ever-so-slightly too warm for me.

View attachment 2283262 View attachment 2283265 View attachment 2283263 View attachment 2283264 View attachment 2283266 View attachment 2283267 View attachment 2283268

View attachment 2283269 View attachment 2283270 View attachment 2283271
You do not have to return it. Just put it in a case that has your favorite color. If you do not like to use case, then return it since you do not like the color.

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Natural titanium iPhone has a very complex colour. I personally think it grows on you. Yesterday I had a chance to replace mine with White, and I decided against it. The replacement phone is also Natural Titanium. It changes colour depending on day, indoors/outdoors. It's quite pretty, actually.
Or after the color excitement calms down, the color can become boring 😊 . The natural titanium color is a new promoted flagship color this year. It is a fad which its excitement can die down later after all the excitement is gone. Hopefully this will not be the case for you. Enjoy your phone 😊

Ariel32

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Or after the color excitement calms down, the color can become boring 😊 . The natural titanium color is a new promoted flagship color this year. It is a fad which its excitement can die down later after all the excitement is gone. Hopefully this will not be the case for you. Enjoy your phone 😊
True. I am 100% convinced it will be the case with Pink. Exactly what I told my teenage daughter.

I personally think that the most beautiful colour this year is regular blue. It's like magical frost, with a slightest blue hue. Paired with matt glass - really pretty.

Reactions: bevsb2

sjperformance

macrumors 68010
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
I am glad I can buy a phone and if the color of the body isn't quite what I thought, I can just keep using it... without feeling the need that I have to return it to get a different color. 🤷‍♂️
Yup. This happened last year to me with a launch day purple 14PM. When I picked up at the apple store and saw the purple in display I hated it. I still picked up my phone. Went home. Put a spigen case on it and forgot about it.

Reactions: MayfairMissy

Angler

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2011
I sent mine back. The color looks fine in certain lighting conditions but for the most part it looks dull, muted and plain boring. IMO one of the worst colors they could have went with. I go without a case so color is important. I ordered the white, the wait is on……

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.